Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda reserve 2015

Options
  • 07-01-2015 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

So it's been 2 years since I first applied for the reserves, I got my interviews in September 2013 and had follow up meetings with the sgt. And inspector in March and April 2014. I checked on my br form before Christmas and I have one outstanding check left to be complete, they also told me they expect an intake early this year.
    I read today however that templemore is full and the new 100 receuits that are going in at the end of the month won't have accommodation in the college. So with the college being busy for the foreseeable future I am left to wonder will they have time to train reserves in the college anytime soon. The wait is long and it feels like I will never get that call to say my forms have cleared, but now I'm thinking I might have to wait another year just to start training.
    I think the reserves are a valuable asset to the force and I think more focus and resources need to go into making the reserves as successful as the special constables in the UK. I ring the reserve office once a month to check on my br form and will continue to do so until I get the all clear. Are there many of you waiting on a medical ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blarney15

Don't worry you're really not missing much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

I just want to get started and find out for myself. I take you are a reserve ?

coolock94 wrote: »
    I just want to get started and find out for myself. I take you are a reserve ?

I was... resigned few months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

I see, what was your reason ?

coolock94 wrote: »
    I see, what was your reason ?

Officially education, work commitments etc. Unofficially... well... only you can experience it to understand real reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

blarney15 wrote: »
    Officially education, work commitments etc. Unofficially... well... only you can experience it to understand real reasons.

Just as i have said all along .... they wont put the real reason down as they dont want the public to know, reserves are left in some stations, FT not wanting to take them out because of their lack of powers ( "NO" public order powers ), so when a person resigns they fill in the blanks and make it look as though the person left because of other reasons.

At the present time Reserve Garda as about as much useful as an empty paper bag sorry for any offence to people but all reserves need to wake up and start getting things orginised together as its the only way things are going to change.

Look at all the promises that were made become a reserve with the promise of making the full time role ..... another dead end, PO powers course commenced Oct 2013 we are now into Jan 2015 and still no change, even with the inspectorate report its all recommendations nothing more it need never be implemented like a lot of other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

bluetop wrote: »
    Just as i have said all along .... they wont put the real reason down as they dont want the public to know, reserves are left in some stations, FT not wanting to take them out because of their lack of powers ( "NO" public order powers ), so when a person resigns they fill in the blanks and make it look as though the person left because of other reasons.

At the present time Reserve Garda as about as much useful as an empty paper bag sorry for any offence to people but all reserves need to wake up and start getting things orginised together as its the only way things are going to change.

Look at all the promises that were made become a reserve with the promise of making the full time role ..... another dead end, PO powers course commenced Oct 2013 we are now into Jan 2015 and still no change, even with the inspectorate report its all recommendations nothing more it need never be implemented like a lot of other stuff.
    sorry but back this up please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Iv been waiting 2 and a half years and i know well it aint guna happen anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Iv been waiting 2 and a half years and i know well it aint guna happen anytime soon

I took me over 2 1/2 years too, it's really down to back ground checks of all your family local stations replying back to HQ... Believe me, dust settles!! from experance.. They will tell you your local one is done!!! BUT don't get confused its the rest of the back ground checks need completing and that can takes time...
    Get onto your local inspector and get him to push the last remaining stations backgrounds if any!! Your one, would be done! It's the rest that's holding it up...
    Keep pushing it worked for me....
    Hang in there guys... You get what you put in...

iv tryed getting people to push them through doesn't work , tbh iv lost interest and it's there fault for having a ****y system . sure I herd even when u get your medical your waiting another 5/6 months waiting on a training date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

From reading the forums here the garda reserve seems to have been forgotten about. I couldnt imagine any other organisation treating VOLUNTEERS like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

iv tryed getting people to push them through doesn't work , tbh iv lost interest and it's there fault for having a ****y system . sure I herd even when u get your medical your waiting another 5/6 months waiting on a training date

Yes once your medical comes along, its again a waiting game..
    It took me 1 month after medical to get a call for Templemore...
    I beleive this year 2015 for the GR's, Templemore will only hold two waves of classes compared to around five most years passed.

Sure your in the mix anyway, hang in there brother!
    Hopefully 2015 will bring us a bit furder to where we need to be...
    I know everybody is going on about these powers etc etc...
    You can still be Assisting in the arrest, doing your check points, when your detailed to a car you can be an observer,
    Work at matches, most of us worked the Queen and Obama visits..etc etc.
    So that aside, its still one good thing to be on your C.V. For future jobs down the line...
    The system is the system I know it sucks! When you get in! It maybe for you or not!

Keep the chin up guys....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

I am also in the same position as you "coolock94" although i havent got as far as you, i have alot of friends high up in my local station who said they would help me by referring me but thats for the full time not the reserve, ive rang the Appointments office and i will continue to do so to keep checking up.
    i volunteer alot, i am an EMT with Civil Defence and work on an ambulance frequently. I also volunteer for other organisations which consist of dealing with the public, the Reserves though is somthing i would really like to do although it is voluntary, its just a pitty the system isnt like "the Specials" in the UK, its nice to know im not the only one out there who wants it as none of my friends or anyone i know likes the Gardaì. i took the exams for the full time last year and managed to get into Band 2, but sure 30,000 or more applied amd i think i was 7,000 and somthing..

it costs around 9,000 to train a full time Garda, according to the government, the 100 they took in, well that adds up to about 900,000.. they actually have it cheap seeing as other countrys are better equipped and there uniforms, cars, training etc cost more.

SO7378 wrote: »
    I am also in the same position as you "coolock94" although i havent got as far as you, i have alot of friends high up in my local station who said they would help me by referring me but thats for the full time not the reserve, ive rang the Appointments office and i will continue to do so to keep checking up.
    i volunteer alot, i am an EMT with Civil Defence and work on an ambulance frequently. I also volunteer for other organisations which consist of dealing with the public, the Reserves though is somthing i would really like to do although it is voluntary, its just a pitty the system isnt like "the Specials" in the UK, its nice to know im not the only one out there who wants it as none of my friends or anyone i know likes the Gardaì. i took the exams for the full time last year and managed to get into Band 2, but sure 30,000 or more applied amd i think i was 7,000 and somthing..

it costs around 9,000 to train a full time Garda, according to the government, the 100 they took in, well that adds up to about 900,000.. they actually have it cheap seeing as other countrys are better equipped and there uniforms, cars, training etc cost more.

Good on you
    Where abouts are you?
    I'm also in civil defence in the northwest

wish it was set up like the UK , Runs so well over there . 6months and it all done from interview to training date.

I also herd its only 1 class this year , its getting less and less each year . started with 4 now its 1

"D Trent" im stationed in sligo what about you? :)

SO7378 wrote: »
    "D Trent" im stationed in sligo what about you? :)

Stationed? Haha

Leitrim

"D trent" yeah the sligo unit, and kool.
    you working the Fleadh Cheoile this year in sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

The reserve defence forces process only takes approx 5 months. I don't know why the GR cant be as efficient. But then again not as many people apply for the RDF as they do for the GR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I sadly had high hopes when the new Commish took over on the basis that her son was also a Reserve, and also that her appointment pretty much coincided with the Inspectorate report which was quite critical on how Reserves were utilised. However as we have seen recently with penalty points still been cancelled under her watch, it looks like nothing will ever change in AGS, they are 20 years behind most other Police Forces technologically, and probably about 50 years behind mentally. It's a crying shame when once considers what a difference the Reserve could make if utilised properly, but sadly I don't ever see us been utilised properly, or given proper training or powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

gilly2308 wrote: »
    they are 20 years behind most other Police Forces technologically, and probably about 50 years behind mentally.

i laughed at that quote :D:D

The new commish will do nothing for AGS as shes the ultimate internal candidate and has no real vision, like the rest of them :(

i was suprised to read her husband is a detective sergeant and son a reserve yet she still seems clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

carzony wrote: »
    i laughed at that quote :D:D

The new commish will do nothing for AGS as shes the ultimate internal candidate and has no real vision, like the rest of them :(

i was suprised to read her husband is a detective sergeant and son a reserve yet she still seems clueless.

We have to give her a chance , how long has she been in the Commissioners role not even 3 months yet.

By the way her husband is a Super not a D/Sgt

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I sadly had high hopes when the new Commish took over on the basis that her son was also a Reserve, and also that her appointment pretty much coincided with the Inspectorate report which was quite critical on how Reserves were utilised. However as we have seen recently with penalty points still been cancelled under her watch, it looks like nothing will ever change in AGS, they are 20 years behind most other Police Forces technologically, and probably about 50 years behind mentally. It's a crying shame when once considers what a difference the Reserve could make if utilised properly, but sadly I don't ever see us been utilised properly, or given proper training or powers.

Things will never change, the reserve force as it stands is not fit for purpose little or of no use to the full time members we are supposed to be working alongside, while we are a 3rd person that's about it full ..........

We swore the same oath went thru the same vetting procedures yet are not trusted to do what we were appointed to do, min access to pulse which is a joke we to have full access to be able to give the correct info, limited info could either lead to some aspects of crime not been detected this information is vital to our FT collogues, no PO despite the up-skilling taking place in 2013 we are now into 2015 and still no further after the reserves been in existence since 2006, what other country would you see a reserve police force been at the same place it started 9yrs ago !! .

Is it any wonder why the hrs reserves have put in have decreased in the last few years, this is all due to lack of structure lack of interest from the park lack of direction lack of trust, not to mention the H&S implications regarding the issuing of radios to Reserve members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

A bit depressing to read about the reserves. I printed out the interview form today and was thinking of sending it in. I am a retired member - 15 years as a Garda 16 as a Sergeant. I know the Garda system well so am prepared for the long slog that this might become and the limitations the job has. Obviously I have no ambitions beyond simply being a reserve Garda.
    Still I see some benefit for me and hopefully the force if I get it so I will see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

A bit depressing to read about the reserves. I printed out the interview form today and was thinking of sending it in. I am a retired member - 15 years as a Garda 16 as a Sergeant. I know the Garda system well so am prepared for the long slog that this might become and the limitations the job has. Obviously I have no ambitions beyond simply being a reserve Garda.
    Still I see some benefit for me and hopefully the force if I get it so I will see how I get on.

I dont think you will have a long wait at all. If you were a serving member your forms will come back quicker and as far as i am aware you only have to attend the first weekend of training.

Good to see retired members come to the reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

I did my exam & interview in 2012 in Athlone, did my interview in my local station with a Supt and got his full backing. I rang Garda HQ on a few occasions to see if my background checks had been completed but up to a few months ago I was still waiting on the last of the three checks to come back. I guess with the intake of the full time trainees the GR intake has been reduced drastically and background check put to one side for the moment.

so ur waiting a good 3 years!?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

so ur waiting a good 3 years!?

From the exam & interview in Athlone to date nearly 3 years now.

• Advertisement

rookie1470 wrote: »
    From the exam & interview in Athlone to date nearly 3 years now.

Where in Athlone?

Advertisement