Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Cycle - Laochra na Laoise II - Sunday September 14th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Forecast for Sunday from http://www.met.ie:

"Sunday: Still dry and bright for Sunday with good sunny spells, but the easterly breeze will be that bit fresher in places. Top temperatures 15 to 17 C., along exposed coasts, but 17 to 20 C., elsewhere – best in western areas."

Tl;Dr - Bring era specific sunscreen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Panasonic build has ground to a halt. Ran into more issues this morning so rather than cobbling something together just for the weekend,I'm putting it aside for now. I'll be running the Road Ace instead. Brendan will be happy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Brendan will be jealous!

9294048447_5a3316b912_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Ging and I

I hope to join in the latter part of the ride on a 32year old that I have from new.
    I will be bringing some 80s stuff to sell if anyone interested at the end.
    Various cinelli bars, several types of brooks saddles, leather saddle bag, plastic mudguards and misc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

hey guys
    at the moment Im planning on coming after doing the Rebel Tour but I havent gotten my steel bike fixed up yet. Ill have a retro SKIL jersey from 1984 and enter in with the banter, as well as maybe I could take a few snaps up wolf trap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Daithi BC wrote: »
    I've done up a map of the route and my and Brendan's contact numbers that you can print off. If you'd like a copy, please PM me your email address, and I'll send it onto you.

A proper old school OS map - You judge the climb by the closeness of the contours. This brings me back to my navigation rally days .. 1/2" to 1 mile maps. That makes more sense to me than that awful strava/google maps malarky...!

Thanks a million Daithi.. It feels like 1982...!

Do you lads need me to print off a ball load in colour..? I'll gladly do them and bring them to the start !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yarisbob wrote: »
    A proper old school OS map - You judge the climb by the closeness of the contours. This brings me back to my navigation rally days .. 1/2" to 1 mile maps. That makes more sense to me than that awful strava/google maps malarky...!

If you did want to get an electronic map that makes sense, try the opencyclemap. That includes contours and proper stuff like that and can be downloaded to many gps devices...

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Do you lads need me to print off a ball load in colour..? I'll gladly do them and bring them to the start !

If you had access to a printer and were willing to print off up to 30 of them, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Daithi BC wrote: »
    If you had access to a printer and were willing to print off up to 30 of them, that would be great.

30 in A4 coming right up.. Its the least I can do seeing as there is no entry fee and you and Brendan have put a good deal of work in..!

Ill have them on the morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hi Ho

I thought this ride was a good idea until I took out the old bike for a dust down. First thing, I was out of the saddle on the slightest incline - no 34/27! Then I stopped for a chat with a neighbour and fell sideways onto the road as twisting didn't get the cleats out.
    Still, I might chance it, but everybody had better give me plenty of space as the brakes take a while to work as well.
    And I can't find a pair of white socks....

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you did want to get an electronic map that makes sense, try the opencyclemap. That includes contours and proper stuff like that and can be downloaded to many gps devices...

Hey 'comon - surely nothing 'digital' allowed!

The aim on Sunday is for everyone to get around together, but in case it splits up, I've done a bit of road marking for the first 30km of the route where there are a few turns that could be missed. If you're in doubt at a junction, there are green arrows on the road (I was running out of paint, so they're not very big).

A few observations on the first 30km:

- When we get to Timahoe after 11.5km, it's the *second* left turn (signposted Luggacurren).

- Continue on until a T junction, then turn right.

- There's a small hill with a graveyard on the left after 17km. The road goes down after this, but take it easy, because we're turning sharp right after about 200m of descent.

- After 19km, in Luggacurren, turn right at the RC church. Be prepared to be in the small ring 500m later.

- When you see a pylon on top of a hill ahead of you, you'll be turning right at a crossroads shortly.

- After this turn, continue up, then down to the next crossroads (after 22km), and take a right (signposted Timahoe).

- At the bottom of the hill, we're back in Timahoe again. We'll regroup here for part 2 of the route and the Mur de Pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jitterbug1974

Hello Brendan/Daithi BC: First off, congratulations on running this event for the second year, looks like the numbers will be up on 2013 and the weather is looking good so happy days...........
    There’s two of us travelling up from Waterford; I'm riding a 1980/81 Saronni Red Colnago Mexico/Super and my buddy is using my 1987 Peugeot Triathlon.
    Hopefully see you all for breakfast around 9am!

Barry

Hi all,

Great to hear more people are coming, and I've had a few contacts off-line also. There'll be a fantastic collection of bikes and gear and we really seem to be building up interest. Fair play to Yarisbob we're even contributing to the local economy. Yaris do you think you could add DBC's additional details on the back of those maps? If not no worries as I reckon the graveyard will call to all of us!

'Skil', some snaps would be great as a lot of those who can't make it are looking for some.

Good news for me is I've found a 20tooth freewheel, I thought it would be impossible, but there was one in a little box courtesy of the Bike Shed in Cork. It's a Bayliss Wiley - they went out of business in the 60's!

HiHo, never mind the socks, what about the shoes? I'm looking for a pair of old leather shoes, size 9-10, even for a lend for l'Erocia. Any out there? I know some people are bringing gear for sale & swap.

Just to add Dáithí has put most of the work for this spin - thanks a mill DBC.

15191492906_d1d5f68687_z.jpg

I'm looking for a pair of old leather shoes, size 9-10, even for a lend for l'Erocia.

I have a pair that might fit you that you could borrow. I'm a 10 1/2 and they're slightly too small for me. I'll bring them along on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ardcat

If anyone has a hairnet size 58/59/60 Cinelli or Brancale that they would be willing to sell could they bring it along on Sunday. Looking for one for L'Eroica.

There'll be a few of us oldvelos travelling from Kildare on Sunday. Myself on the pink 87 Nuovo Mexico and Niall on the Pinarello Prestige definitely and a few others may join us dependent on bikes being ready.

Thanks to Daithi for putting this ride together.

Terry

ardcat wrote: »
    If anyone has a hairnet size 58/59/60 Cinelli or Brancale that they would be willing to sell could they bring it along on Sunday. Looking for one for L'Eroica.

If you don't find one beforehand, there's a good chance you'll get one in Gaiole on the Friday or Saturday before L'Eroica.

Hi all,

Great to hear more people are coming, and I've had a few contacts off-line also. There'll be a fantastic collection of bikes and gear and we really seem to be building up interest. Fair play to Yarisbob we're even contributing to the local economy. Yaris do you think you could add DBC's additional details on the back of those maps? If not no worries as I reckon the graveyard will call to all of us!

'Skil', some snaps would be great as a lot of those who can't make it are looking for some.

Good news for me is I've found a 20tooth freewheel, I thought it would be impossible, but there was one in a little box courtesy of the Bike Shed in Cork. It's a Bayliss Wiley - they went out of business in the 60's!

HiHo, never mind the socks, what about the shoes? I'm looking for a pair of old leather shoes, size 9-10, even for a lend for l'Erocia. Any out there? I know some people are bringing gear for sale & swap.
    I have the real deal but they are a taught eight. I'm wearing leather Sidi touring shoes a I don't trust myself with the cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bjorn Turun

I am travelling from Dublin city center on Sunday if anyone needs a lift

Not to trump Bjorn but I have a brother in law coming from Uganda! However he's 6'5" so I wonder does anyone have a working 24.5" bike (new or old), or a very long 27mm or 24mm seat-post which I could borrow for the day?

Cheers, Bren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm travelling down from Drogheda, on Sunday morning.
    If anybody wants a lift, I will have room for one body and one bike.

Damn,

Take a look at the 20tooth Bayliss Wiley again and you'll realise that it takes some horse of a chain (even bigger than the usual 1/8). As well as checking the kids bikes in the morning does anyone have a 20tooth freewheel or similar?

Cheers, Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Hi all,

Is there anyone coming from South Dublin / Dun Laoghaire who could pick up a part from me from the Bike Rack on Johnstown Rd?

Please PM me,

Brendan

Eamonnator wrote: »

Given what we rode through last year, I'm very relieved that tomorrow looks good. It's glorious here today. Tomorrow sounds a bit cooler, but maybe no harm for wearing wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Hi all,

Is there anyone coming from South Dublin / Dun Laoghaire who could pick up a part from me from the Bike Rack on Johnstown Rd?

Please PM me,

Brendan

Did you get sorted? Probably too late now but I only just saw your post. Out on the bike all day.

Taxman,

Lost your number when child no. 1 dropped phone on ground! It might still be possible if you're around that neck of the woods. I'll PM my number,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

hey guys my lift fell through :( have a great time tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deadon

Tks Brendan and Daithi for today's spin , it was great to see so many wonderful vintage bikes,and listen to the story's around the dinner table, sorry we did not stay for the full trip,time was against us (or the legs) will definetly be back again next year .Brendan have a great trip in Italy ,look forward to meeting up for next one ...regards Declan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Well done Brendan and Daithi, another great well organised spin (and great weather - Hallelujah). Great too see all the bikes and meet new and old friends again. The cafe was a little gem of a find for the food stop. I'll definately go in there again next time I go through Abbeyleix! Good luck to all who are going to L'Eroica and hope to see all again soon. Paul

Advertisement