Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identifying old black bicycle

Options
  • 08-06-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Would appreciate if anyone could help me identify this old bicycle!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

not mine anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

looks like a raleigh sports roadster, front mudgaurds a bit odd, maybe the dublin built raleigh's had a different one

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

It looks European to me, hard to tell on my phone though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I don't know myself, but the man behind this YouTube account, rockypro1, might be able to help if you can contact him.
    RT66 wrote: »
    It's Bob!

I wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I don't believe it's a Raleigh. The front fork is wrong. It's the wrong fork for a Humber, Rudge, Triumph and Hercules too imo, unless it's so old it predates the normal fork design we expect from those companies but my guess would be late 1920s to late 1930s.

Is there no headbadge? Any chance of a photo of the lamp bracket? These are usually a unique design as well.

Have a look at the hubs. British hubs of that period will have an oil port and no lock nuts on the bearing cones.

I can't see well enough to count the spokes but if it's 40 on the back and 32 on the front, then it is almost certainly British as the continentals used 36 back and front. Also, what is the tyre size? 26 x 1 3/8" and 28 x 1 1/2" were used on British roadsters but I wouldn't expect to find them on a continental bike but I may be wrong about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Could be a recent eastern import. They still make plenty like that in India and China etc. But is that saddle a Brooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

As said earlier, manufacturers used to fit their badges rivetted to the head tube. they also stamped unique design into headlamp bracket and on chain wheel, this may be viewed by sliding up the panel just above the crank on the gearcase plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Maybe a Puch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

piston wrote: »
    I don't believe it's a Raleigh. The front fork is wrong. It's the wrong fork for a Humber, Rudge, Triumph and Hercules too imo, unless it's so old it predates the normal fork design we expect from those companies but my guess would be late 1920s to late 1930s.

Is there no headbadge? Any chance of a photo of the lamp bracket? These are usually a unique design as well.

Have a look at the hubs. British hubs of that period will have an oil port and no lock nuts on the bearing cones.

I can't see well enough to count the spokes but if it's 40 on the back and 32 on the front, then it is almost certainly British as the continentals used 36 back and front. Also, what is the tyre size? 26 x 1 3/8" and 28 x 1 1/2" were used on British roadsters but I wouldn't expect to find them on a continental bike but I may be wrong about that.

Hercules came to my mind once I saw the break cantilever set up . I know one of these setup existed at home at one stage . my vote Hercules

• Registered Users Posts: 12 josteed

It has "British Made" on the center axle. Also there is 2 oil inlets on the chain case (one is on top and the second is on the lower inside) . There was never a badge on it. From what I know it's at least 50 to 60 years old but recently restored. There is no markings on the lamp holder. Thanks for all the input!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

You could try and get a frame number of it. Look at the top of the seat tube, around the bottom bracket shell and at the rear drop outs. If you play around online, you will find lists of serial numbers to date old bikes from the more common manufacturers. Even the general form of the number may help. Elswick for example will be a single letter which denotes the year and a serial number.

Edit, you will also find that many of the British bike firms had assembly plants in Ireland in the '30s to the '60s as the market was quite big and by assembling them here, they avoided import tax. "Export" models in completely knocked down form were often different in spec from UK models which you will read about on most websites.

Raleigh were slightly different as they actually had a manufacturing base built in the 1930s, partly in preparation for war as they knew they would have to turn their own factory over to war work and having a factory in neutral Ireland allowed them to export bikes back to their home market during the war and maintain the customer base that many of their competitors lost. The factory burnt down in the mid 1970s and was the biggest insurance payout in the history of the Irish state.

Also, there is a bend in the handle bars...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Any pics of the chainring?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It looks surprisingly clean, particularly the paint. Normally there would be a lot more wear and tear. I'd say it's a modern reproduction of something to be honest.

It is surprisingly clean because it was meticulously restored part by part i.e. particularly the paint! I'll get pics of the chainring asap...tks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

c1929 RUDGE - WHITWORTH I'd reckon.
    The All Weather mudguards are a dead give-away.
    A lovely machine/

Apologies for resurrecting an old post but old bikes are 'my thing'

Advertisement