Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with German standards?

• 19-02-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

The German President Christian Wulff resigns because of alleged , " loans" ....
    Sky News reports...
    "Mr Wulff's film producer friend David Groenewold.
    Mr Groenewold reportedly picked up the bills for Mr Wulff's hotel and paid for an upgrade during two short breaks.
    Mr Wulff's lawyers have said he repaid the money in cash for one of the stays."

Lord oh Lord whats wrong with these Germans , whats bleeding wrong getting an upgrade for heavens sake......they should really loosen up.......

We in Ireland know all too well , its important for politicians to avail of upgrades , sure it goes with the job, for heavens sake........

For example a politician wants to rent a house and just to ensure the house is to your liking we would expect the landlord to bung you lets say £30,000 or even Euro.....to put in fallderalls , such as curtains new furniture , lights,
    the usual stuff landlords give their tenants before they take up their tenancy ......but thats little Ireland ( we've got things right) , isnt that right Bertie but Germany have things all wrong....

a hint of a politician being God forbid and all harm brought to book on possible undue influence / corruption charge , in Ireland, this country of renowned Saints and Scroungers , we know its the politicians duty to uphold the highest standards and fight the case every step of the way, even if if means getting the lick arse servants around them to get into the dock and tell it as they saw things....the Irish way......

Do you think Ray will give us a receipt .........." will he fock"

Charlie I am calling to get back the £1,000,000 ( million) the big fellow gave you, and you giving out about the quality of the shirts my father was bringing in.........

Burke ,Dunlop, P Flynn, Lawlor, Lowry, ...et al......

Thanks be to God we Irish have had the benefit of long decades of good Catholic standards, and devotion to the Roman Catholic Church , we know political corruption from upgrades when we see it........:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I've read your above post about three times and I've given up trying to find a point in it - German standards on corruption are too high, ours are too low or something else. It appears to be a stream of conciousness, that has no beginning, middle or end and so I really don't know what response you're looking for other than "meh".

Or would you like to clarify what you're trying to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I've read your above post about three times and I've given up trying to find a point in it - German standards on corruption are too high, ours are too low or something else. It appears to be a stream of conciousness, that has no beginning, middle or end and so I really don't know what response you're looking for other than "meh".

Or would you like to clarify what you're trying to say?
    Probably the point is that at the first hint of scandal the german president resigned whereas over it would be here deny everything until there's no other choice followed by a farce of a tribunal costing countless millions in fees for the so called 'elite' in this country with no consequences for anyone at the end of it all.
    Refering to bertie, you can see why he feels so at home in Nigeria.

Fair enough, it's just not terribly clear from what he wrote.

So tolerance for corruption is significantly higher in Ireland than in Germany? There's a blinding flash of insight.

'Screwing the system' in Ireland has long been seen in positive terms, with a 'cute hoor' being a character type to be admired. This is not unusual for formerly subjugated nations as historically 'screwing the system' was in effect a form of rebellion against an occupying power. Arguably the Greeks suffer from this too to a great extent, but that's another discussion.

Upon independence, we retained this cultural trait, which morphed from screwing the English system to screwing the Dublin-Jackeen system, and we just went along with it. That Haughey, for example, was utterly corrupt was widely known, and I remember some even expressing admiration at this. Fear of retribution (legal and otherwise) from him and a general culture of normality where it came to such behaviour meant that, despite this common knowledge, it remained an unspoken truth - we actually did the same thing with regard to clerical child abuse, or did you genuinely think that no one knew what was going on there?

When the proverbial shìt hit the fan, the political establishment panicked; corruption was so widespread and common practice that no one even bothered to cover their tracks half the time and reform would have implicated almost everyone.

Thus someone came up the idea of the tribunal; which was seen to be addressing the issue when it was in the public eye and then would drag on until the public eye would grow bored and could then quietly brush everything under a carpet of legalistic language that would only be understood by someone who stood to gain from said system. Pure genius.

And that's why Ireland has jailed practically no one for corruption, and even when we have it's never been for long.

On top of this, such is the nature of 'parish pump politics' in Ireland that we continue to support such 'cute hoors' despite being exposed publicly (how many continue/continued to get re-elected?). So demand to clean up is very limited given we would rather have a local councillor or TD who can 'sort out' planning permission for an extension to our house than one who's going to be above board.

Overall, Ireland has the politicians that we deserve and until we change our culture with regard to some of the above, we will continue to elect them, regardless of party name; because corruption is not a function of ideology, but opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Obviously there's not too much wrong with German standards of political ethics when a head of state resigns after some serious questions are raised about certain loans he received.:rolleyes:

Now, if only we could try and achieve the same level of probity and accountability in Ireland.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Dear The Corinthian, you make excellent points and thanks for reading my post three times , I'm impressed.....genuinely ...I can see why your a moderator...

I guess I'm bemoaning the total lack of standards ( in so many cases) we Irish are subject to.by some Politicians.....( or have been subject to)...

The chasm in moral standard we are seeing from British and now from this
    German politician is for me mind numbing.....

What you say about getting some rogue politicians we deserve is so true but it still( for me) and I'm 60 years old , to see such polar opposite approach in Ireland to what we are seeing in neighbouring countries, just makes my mind collapse or freeze.....like a computer overload.......I cant handle what I'm seeing/reading....realizing......

I have watched for years the various corrupt instances in my little Irish country , and indeed shook my head as a particular politician was elected time and time again despite being engulfed in scandal. But the wounds those instances caused , the deep feelings of being betrayed , reopen when I see , for example ,how Germany's Wollf and Britian's Chris Huhne ( speeding offence ) deal with their allegations.......

and we are a so called Roman Catholic country......with decades of Mass going , and receiving the body of Christ......

• Advertisement

Park Royal wrote: »
    What you say about getting some rogue politicians we deserve is so true but it still( for me) and I'm 60 years old , to see such polar opposite approach in Ireland to what we are seeing in neighbouring countries, just makes my mind collapse or freeze.....like a computer overload.......I cant handle what I'm seeing/reading....realizing......
    Unfortunately we still admire the 'cute hoor' in Irish society and as we seek to elect politicians on the basis of what they can do for us individually, what do you expect? The culture of 'parish pump politics' in Ireland rewards corruption - we want politicians who'll bend or break the rules when it suits us and we'll vote for them again when they do.

And even if we are not directly involved, we'll still follow the countryside principle of "if you have nothing good to say about someone, say nothing", which frankly played a large part in not only protecting people like Haughey, but many a parish priest.

And if you despair of this, then fair enough, but you too were complicit in this. We all were and frankly still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Probably the point is that at the first hint of scandal the german president resigned whereas over it would be here deny everything until there's no other choice followed by a farce of a tribunal costing countless millions in fees for the so called 'elite' in this country with no consequences for anyone at the end of it all.
    Refering to bertie, you can see why he feels so at home in Nigeria.

To be fair, the former German President didn't resign at the first hint of a scandal. He was dragging his heels for some month now, with one scandal after another coming out and he was only ever admitting what was already known and claiming there would be no new scandal after this one.
    He only now resigned, because the prosecutors asked parliament to be allowed to open an investigation into these scandals. Even after that he feels hard done by and said he didn't do anything wrong and it was all the media who were after him.

mdebets wrote: »
    To be fair, the former German President didn't resign at the first hint of a scandal. He was dragging his heels for some month now, with one scandal after another coming out and he was only ever admitting what was already known and claiming there would be no new scandal after this one.
    He only now resigned, because the prosecutors asked parliament to be allowed to open an investigation into these scandals. Even after that he feels hard done by and said he didn't do anything wrong and it was all the media who were after him.
    Yea, haven't really being paying much attention to that particular case, I'd be more concerned with what goes on here.
    I know one thing, power corrupts people and we seem to have a hell of a lot of that in this country.
    Just look at the lot that are in government now, before they were elected it was all about honesty and transparency and now, not a year later it's all pay rises for advisors, extra payments for junior ministers, 'jobs for the boys/gals' while at the same time attacking the lowest paid or the unemployed to fund their extravagances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Probably the point is that at the first hint of scandal the german president resigned ...........

Its been going on for months, he did things that were dodgy for a politician but completely untenable for a President. He was dragged kicking and screaming from that job, as scandal after scandal, lie after lie was exposed he should have stepped down months ago and as a result he has seriously damaged the office of German President.
    Park Royal wrote: »
    I guess I'm bemoaning the total lack of standards ( in so many cases) we Irish are subject to.by some Politicians.....( or have been subject to)...

The chasm in moral standard we are seeing from British and now from this
    German politician is for me mind numbing.....

Germany has plenty of corruption too. Incidentally one of the reasons Merkel cam to the head of the CDU relatively quickly was that so many CDU politicians had to resign in the 90's due to a huge scandal involving illegal financing of their party. As she had only joined in 1990 and as she was not involved in any opposition activities in the GDR there was no mud to stick to her.

I've seen first hand corruption in municipal politics there, there are loads of dubious decisions made at local, state and national level, and the influence of industry should not be underestimated. I think the only difference is that the "cute hoor" here is in same ways admired, in Germany many more people wouldn't tolerate it.

One of the other points is that Germany like many other countries has a list voting system. This means that there is more pressure on parties to get rid of a corrupt person, as they will lose no power due to the list system ensuring that the party will retain the same number of seats. Thus they don't have the Pat "the Cope" Gallagher scenario where a bye-election was put on hold as it may result in a swing of power. Something to be considered here when we are discussing electoral reform.

bijapos wrote: »
    I've seen first hand corruption in municipal politics there, there are loads of dubious decisions made at local, state and national level, and the influence of industry should not be underestimated. I think the only difference is that the "cute hoor" here is in same ways admired, in Germany many more people wouldn't tolerate it.
    The absence of 'cute hoor' hero-worship does make a big difference, IMO, but as you have rightly pointed out, there's no shortage of corruption in Germany (everyone's favourite Freistaat comes to mind), but on balance I do feel it is less prevalent than in Ireland.
    One of the other points is that Germany like many other countries has a list voting system. This means that there is more pressure on parties to get rid of a corrupt person, as they will lose no power due to the list system ensuring that the party will retain the same number of seats. Thus they don't have the Pat "the Cope" Gallagher scenario where a bye-election was put on hold as it may result in a swing of power. Something to be considered here when we are discussing electoral reform.
    The list voting system would kill 'parish pump politics' in Ireland. Which is one reason I can't see TD's voting it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

We had at least 1 politician who was an exception to the rule and resigned once the scandal broke- Trevor Sargent. Not even sure scandal would be the right terminology with Mr. Sargent, more a storm in a tea pot over nothing in relevance to what the major hitters done. For example Ray Burke claiming a 100 grand Pension despite being jailed for corruption leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

bijapos wrote: »
    Its been going on for months, he did things that were dodgy for a politician but completely untenable for a President. He was dragged kicking and screaming from that job, as scandal after scandal, lie after lie was exposed he should have stepped down months ago and as a result he has seriously damaged the office of German President.

I acknowledged that fact yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The problem is that the week after the businessman provided a hitel upgrade for the president who was then prime minister of his local federal state, the federal state within days provided 4 million of a credit guarantee for a film being made by the businessman

Even Bertie never was that obvious in "repaying" favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

Any system with overly harsh standards is doomed to failure. Politicians are still human, and while it can be expected to avoid corruption on the scale we have endured in Ireland I certainly see no real problem with benefits in kind as 'people of note' often receive.

Imagine a political figure being forced to resign everytime they overstepped the mark? We'd have elections and chaos 24/7.

A modicum of flexibility is required in most instances. I loved the laissez faire attitude of Irish bureaucracy when it worked for me... And the compassion the system could show to me when I truly needed it.

Where I am now is ever so different...though I expect it to lighten up in July '13.

I think we could do with something akin to the UK model. Actively prosecute those found guilty... More than a few MPs have ended up behind bars recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Funfair wrote: »
    We had at least 1 politician who was an exception to the rule and resigned once the scandal broke- Trevor Sargent.

Didn't resign his Dail seat though, did he? So he still considered himself fit to represent his constituency.

He also seriously misled the electorate about the Greens' willingness to go into coalition with FF. Only after lots of FG, Labour and other anti-FF voters had given transfers to the Greens, did they realise they'd been had. "I will not lead my party into coalition with FF" - mental reservation worthy of a Catholic bishop.

If he's the best example you can find for integrity, we really are screwed!

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭zero_hope

I myself come from a country where members of parliament have been forced to resign over things such as not paying their TV licence or putting an MBA on their CV which in reality was a degree from a diploma mill. To be fair the corruption you people have in Ireland is on the same scale as many third world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

zero_hope wrote: »
    I myself come from a country where members of parliament have been forced to resign over things such as not paying their TV licence or putting an MBA on their CV which in reality was a degree from a diploma mill. To be fair the corruption you people have in Ireland is on the same scale as many third world countries.

:rolleyes: Ireland is not more corrupt than the average European country, and better than most. Backroom dealing, Healy-Rae style may be endemic, and terrible policy, but it is not actually corrupt - it all happens right in the open. List style systems are far more open to corruption, because they allow TDs to be selected by a small clique of party heads, rather than the electorate. See Italy, where Berlusconi puts plenty of 20-somethings he fancies on his parties lists. This is balanced by making politics more nationally, rather than locally focused.

Every country has corruption, and certaintly Ireland could do a lot more in tackling it. But it's hardly unique. Have a look at this report on corruption in German politics: http://www.globalintegrity.org/reports/2004/2004/country65a8.html?cc=de&act=notebook If you replace the names Kohl, Schauble, Kirch and Bertelsmann with Ahern, Burke, Dunne, and Esat, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between what happened there and what happened here.

In the third world, corruption is something encountered by a citizen in every dealing with the state. When was the last time you heard of someone having to pay a bribe to renew a driving license, get a tax form, open a small business, or get a court date? Because that is what endemic corruption looks like.

I don't think you've been to many Third World countries if you are willing to make such a comparison.

There is certainly a worrying level of corruption in Ireland, but then again I've witnessed it in plenty of other countries, including Sweden. I think the main problem with Ireland is mainly that there is a serious problem with regards to consequences when corruption is uncovered - tolerance for corruption is significantly higher in Ireland than many other European countries.

However, to equate Ireland with the Third World is a bit nutty; that's a completely different level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

What country are you from, If you don't mind?

Which index are you using to measure corruption of different countries from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭zero_hope

What country are you from, If you don't mind?

Which index are you using to measure corruption of different countries from?

I am a Swedish man, this is a country where morals and decency exists unlike the social decay that we witness in Ireland, UK, America and Mediterranean countries.

• Advertisement

I am a Swedish man, this is a country where morals and decency exists unlike the social decay that we witness in Ireland, UK, America and Mediterranean countries.
    And hubris apparently. I've worked and done business with plenty of Swedes; there's no shortage of wink and nod beneath the vernier of Lutheran proprietary, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

As someone who has travelled the world you can trust me when I say we are amateurs here in Ireland at corruption. Here businessmen used their own money to influence planning but in other parts of the world money for the poor, money for renewal, money for roads, whatever, will go straight into someone's pocket. If a cop stops you in these countries the only way you can get into trouble is if you don't have enough money to pay your way out. Ireland has problems which need to be addressed but it's laughable to suggest those problem are particularly bad in world terms.

Advertisement