Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Web Design / Development Distance Masters

Options
  • 09-01-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Anyone know if such a course is out there?

I have a degree in computer science from a number years back and would like to go for an MSc preferably in the Web design / dev field. I am based in Cork and such a course doesn't seem to be available down here and various commitments mean relocating isn't possible.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Couple of things you should consider:

Web development is more in the technical and programming fields; design is far more graphical and user-interface related - you need to decide which you are more interested in.

Is the piece of paper, the qualification, the primary objective? Or is the knowledge the primary objective? If learning is what you want, then going for an MSc is probably not the right way to go - you're better off both in terms of time and money by self-learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

if you are planning on setting up a web design business yourself then id say you wouldent need a qualification as they would be looking for portfolio

otherwise you probably would need one i myself am doing a fetac level 5 web development courses i have had a good look around at courses offreed in web design the vast majority of them have web design as part of a courses sligo institute of technology offer a degree and theres a place in dublin that offer a degree i think also have not seen anyone else where abroad they have several courses for web design there would probably be web design as part of multimedia course id say could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

It's more about the piece of paper to be honest.

I've been involved in both web design and development for the past 5 years. In small companies they seem to be bundled up together. I really enjoy all aspects of it and if I was to take on further study ideally I'd want it to be in this area. However it is about the piece of paper too. My degree is a pass one, obtained at a time when study wasn't a priority!

I have always had it in my head that I might try break in to lecturing but I would need to turn my qualification into an honours result to do that. Hence I'm looking at the masters.

There are a couple of what I would call handy 1 year computer science / BIS masters around. When I say handy, I mean stuff I'd know a lot of already. Doing one of them would open that door for me but would effectively be like buying a very expensive piece of paper - a means to an end. Finding an MSc in the field I am interested in would be ideal, if I am paying that kind of money then I'd like to learn something worthwhile from it.

Advertisement