Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MTV's 25 hottest MC's (commercial MC's!)

• 07-02-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

mtvhottestmcs1.jpg
    MTV has rolled out it's 25 '2011 Hottest MC List' candidates. That number will be pared down to the top 10.

Next week we'll find out 10-6, with the top five coming on a special roundtable show on Sunday, February 19th at 10:30 p.m. EST on MTV2.

Peep the list below.

2 Chainz
    50 Cent
    Big Sean
    Common
    Drake
    Eminem
    Fabolous
    French Montana
    Jadakiss
    JAY-Z
    Jim Jones
    Kanye West
    Lil Wayne
    Lloyd Banks
    Maino
    Meek Mill
    Nas
    Nicki Minaj
    Red Café
    Rick Ross
    T.I.
    Wale
    Wiz Khalifa
    Yelawolf
    Young Jeezy

joke of a list imo, some really questionable candidates for the award.

Eminem won it last year, i personally think kendrick lamar should win it but he's not even in the list which is laughable to say the least. No sign of j.cole either who had a number 1 album, it was average but still:confused:

Bad list bar a few but as i said its a commercial award so dont be surprised not to see a few of your favorite rappers.

i was going to do a poll to see who ye think deserves it but i genuinely cant pick a rapper out of this list that i think deserves it, what do ye think ?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

wouldn't take too much notice of anything regarding MTV ,
    the minute yo mtv raps went the whole concept of the channel changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

2 Chainz - who?
    50 Cent
    Big Sean - No. why? what?
    Common
    Drake - ok, I suppose
    Eminem
    Fabolous - Where has he been?
    French Montana - who?
    Jadakiss
    JAY-Z
    Jim Jones - no
    Kanye West
    Lil Wayne
    Lloyd Banks - no
    Maino - who?
    Meek Mill - who?
    Nas
    Nicki Minaj - No, seriously?
    Red Café - who?
    Rick Ross - "you a fake gangsta reppin the mexican mafia you aint a boss, you rick ross - correctional officer"
    T.I. - no
    Wale - Double no.
    Wiz Khalifa - Who cares anymore.
    Yelawolf
    Young Jeezy - No.

I would have to give it to Nas out of that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

baddebt wrote: »
    wouldn't take too much notice of anything regarding MTV ,
    the minute yo mtv raps went the whole concept of the channel changed.

ye i dont really either mate but i always have a bit of interest in things like this no matter how commercially influenced they are. not just mtv but i hardly watch any of the music channels anymore the hip hop played on them is mostly just not to my liking.

mtv base or as it use to be called beats,rhymes & life, i think it had another name before that too but it was decent enough with trevor nelson, its beyond a joke these days though.

iv only ever saw clips of episodes of yo mtv raps on the internet, never caught it live as i never had mtv until a bit later until the early 00's aswell as being a bit young when it finished.

im well aware of how influential and entertaining it was though.

I would have to give it to Nas out of that list.

this is the thing man, nas has released very little in 2011 honestly cant understand him being in the list.

dont get me wrong we all know how good a mc nas is but its suppose to based on material released in 2011, we got 1 single from nas and maybe 1 or 2 bits more as far as i can remember so imo he shouldnt even be mentioned for 2011.

i really cant pick though from that list, not even eminem deserves it for his album with royce imo or jay z and kanye for WTT.

the only person i think genuinely deserves it, isnt in the list.

this is the thing man, nas has released very little in 2011 honestly cant understand him being in the list.

dont get me wrong we all know how good a mc nas is but its suppose to based on material released in 2011, we got 1 single from nas and maybe 1 or 2 bits more as far as i can remember so imo he shouldnt even be mentioned for 2011.

i really cant pick though from that list, not even eminem deserves it for his album with royce imo or jay z and kanye for WTT.

the only person i think genuinely deserves it, isnt in the list.

As I said of those on the list I would have to give it to Nas, I agree if Lamars album was released in 2011 (which I imagine it was) then that would easily win it for him if he was on the list but hes not.

Exactly bad meets evil was meh and WTT was alright, so Nas kind of wins by default imo.

• Advertisement

As I said of those on the list I would have to give it to Nas, I agree if Lamars album was released in 2011 (which I imagine it was) then that would easily win it for him if he was on the list but hes not.

Exactly bad meets evil was meh and WTT was alright, so Nas kind of wins by default imo.

ye i get you, its a tough choice. look forward to seeing how they judge this one and the reason behind some of the choices as there's going to be rappers eliminated to get the top 10 and the final next sunday will be down to the last 5.

just thinking their too, fair enough the red album was poor enough but game released too much content not to be mentioned with mixtapes and the album he released in 2011.

Common, the album wasnt great and was a very late 2011 release starting to think he is only mentioned because of the drake beef too because he isnt as commercially popular as he use to be.

Ask me who i think will win, my moneys on rick ross or drake.:rolleyes:

If it is anything like the panel they had for top 5 or 10 of all time, it will be a waste of time to watch.

Good to see though.

I would saw Ross, Drake or Wayne will win not that they should though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If Em is on it then Royce deserves to be on it as well.

50 put out a pretty poor mixtape, big no.

Fab put out a very average mixtape, no again.

I thought T.I. was still in prison?

Red Café - who or what is that? I thought for a second it was the Man United forum.

I don't know more than half the people on that.

As was mentioned already where is J Cole? Also Big K.R.I.T. should be in there. But going on that list it's probably best off that they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Wasn't really into Fabolous most recent mixtape but really enjoyed 'The Soul Tape' he released earlier this year.

Common is only there because of his pathetic beef with Drake.

Is 50 there because of The Big 10 mixtape? Really?

Agree with Jimmy, Eminem is there but why isn't Royce?

T.I. dropped a mixtape very late in the year, a few good tracks but nothing amazing to be fair.

No Kendrick, J. Cole, ASAP Rocky, Big K.R.I.T.? Who came up with this list? It's a good thing MTV is completely irrelevant these days.

I forgot about the Soul Tape. Fab's other offering on Christmas Day was very poor though. Definitely not enough to get him on this list.

Curren$y is someone I'd have higher than most on this list but he'd never make it on there because no one knows who he is and if they did they'd probably say (as my friend did) that Wiz Khalifa/Kid Cudi is better. It's a sad world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

2 Chainz - No (Dont like him, seems to be getting bigger in the US but I dont know why)
    50 Cent - No (3 or 4 good tracks in the last 3 or 4 years.)
    Big Sean - Yes (I like him)
    Common - Yes
    Drake - Yes
    Eminem - Yes (Would rather Royce)
    Fabolous - Yes
    French Montana - No (think he is absoulte ****)
    Jadakiss - No (I like him, but cant think of a track recently Ive liked)
    JAY-Z - Yes
    Jim Jones - No (Seriously? So bad)
    Kanye West - Yes
    Lil Wayne - Yes
    Lloyd Banks - Yes
    Maino - No (not a fan)
    Meek Mill - Yes (Dont really like MMG but he had a good year, loved Dreamchasers)
    Nas - Yes
    Nicki Minaj - No (Dont really like her)
    Red Café - No (I know who he is haha, but meh)
    Rick Ross - No (Dont like him)
    T.I. - Yes
    Wale - Yes (I like him, guess Im in the minority there)
    Wiz Khalifa - Yes
    Yelawolf - Yes
    Young Jeezy - Yes

Dont really care if I'm too commercial or anything, I like what I like. I thought it would be 100% obvious that most on this forum would have no interest and give no credibility to that list so Im surprised to see a thread on it. Its not a great list to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Well that's fúcked up. Worst rapper on that would have to be French Montana, the man is one of the lowest skilled MCs I've heard in a long time. Suprised about K.Lamar, didn't like his album as much as others but he still deserved to be there. Funny how Common's beef with Drake actually worked for him, he wouldn't be there otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Hottest =/= best unfortunately.

I couldn't even tell you who is hot anymore. Drake, Nicki, whoever. It has all descended into one big noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

quickly scanned it and noticed lil wayne in there and moved on , clearly without any credibility....

I thought it would be 100% obvious that most on this forum would have no interest and give no credibility to that list so Im surprised to see a thread on it. Its not a great list to be fair.

I started the thread to get people talking about it. I knew most wouldnt be happy about it but i posted it the last 2 years here so why not this year, even if it means us getting a laugh or whatever out of their so called number 1 MC or their could be someone genuinely interested to see who gets it, but this for me is a reflection of how bad the commercial hip hop scene has become.

but look at least it sparks a bit of activity on a forum that can be quiet enough most of the time bar the last month or 2 in fairness where its been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ridiculous how only 4-5 of the people listed there actually are MCs, the rest aren't they're rappers and shitty pop artists that don't belong in any top 25 list.

Looks like it is a good thing I don't know half this list because if some of them are worse than Big Sean and Wale then they must be really really bad.

Lil Wayne is actually one of the more credible artists on that list, even though I am not a fan of his.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

No Justin Bieber, sh*t list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Red Café - who?
    Red Café - who or what is that? I thought for a second it was the Man United forum.

All I know Red Cafe for is for Paper Touchin', then G-Unit used the beat for one of their promotional mixtapes for T.O.S.

Cheers.

Fat Joe though, smh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'd give it to jay or common, Jay has done well for himself in the past year so he deserves it and he'd rap circles around most of the people on that list and common just because his last album was quality and if he wins that there will be a lot of attention brought to him, nas doesn't deserve it, he's releasing fairly shitty stuff lately, haven't a clue why he's on that list, the rest of the people bar eminem and kanye are muck.

Nicki minaj is awful, and she's not an MC, haven't a breeze why she's on that list

I love Common but there is one and only one reason he is on that list, and it is not because of his album.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Nicki minaj is awful, and she's not an MC,

MTV say Nicki Minaj .......
    We say ....Jean Grae

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Nicki minaj is awful, and she's not an MC, haven't a breeze why she's on that list

Seems to me that there's only one reason.

Dat. Ass.

in fairness to red cafe, he has a few outright bangers. he's been around years, he's alright imo, not the best rapper you will ever hear by any means but does come up with something decent every now and then.

listen to a few of these, the mans got a serious ear for beats.

Ye shout out to the producer/beat maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

In all fairness MTV shouldnt even be looked at for anything to do with Hip Hop, this is the channel where they document birthday parties and pregnant teens you know..

Ye shout out to the producer/beat maker.

lol he isnt the of mc's il say that.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Red Cafe has caught my attention a few times, sometimes for impressing me, others questioning whether he actually did impress me.

My take on it is, he is striving hard to be on lists like this and be in the limelight, but he finds it hard to compromise his music for this.

He needs to decide what direction he wants, the love of music, or the love of money......and probably a name change as well :D

I also think I've aired my opinion of Nikki Minaj on this forum enough, baddebt is spot on with his comment. I'd also throw Dessa in the mix.

When i saw Common on the list, my initial reaction was the same as conor, but on relflection, he is quite famous in the US of A outside of music for his acting and whatever else. He appears on all them housewives shows like Oprah and Ellen so people do love him. And he also released a solid album last year.

• Advertisement

its all about big sean and J cole 2012

3859271924_24af790d82_o.gif

Advertisement