Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big names for Irish Open?

• 12-04-2012 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Just wondering could we have this thread for confirmed irish open players, and rumors of which big names are playing, ive seen an article there that Bubba might be coming, i reckon a lot more of them will cone this year as it would be a great warm up for The british open a few wks later :) Dustin johnson perhaps? Cant wait for it either way, il keep this going and il add confirmed players later and also new ones confirmed and rumors etc, cos we know theres gonna be a few threads opened on this topic in the next few weeks :)

Rory mcilroy - Confirmed
    GMAC - Confirmed
    Padraig harrington - Confirmed
    Darren Clarke - Confirmed
    Michael Hoey - Confirmed
    Bubba watson - TBC
    Luke donald?
    Lee westwood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Open doesn't take place until three weeks after the Irish open. The French & Scottish are in between.

No doubt that it's good links preparation, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Whyner wrote: »

Lol yeah dude i said that, read that this morn, would be great! Tiger perhaps no???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Tones69 wrote: »
    Lol yeah dude i said that, read that this morn, would be great! Tiger perhaps no???

My speed reading ain't what it used to be :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Westwood is a No right?. What about the likes of Poulter?. Or Louis Oosthuizen, Schwartzel has been before... Of the Americans would be good to see Bubba, Hunter Mahan and Rickie Fowler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Just wondering could we have this thread for confirmed irish open players, and rumors of which big names are playing, ive seen an article there that Bubba might be coming, i reckon a lot more of them will cone this year as it would be a great warm up for The british open a few wks later :) Dustin johnson perhaps? Cant wait for it either way, il keep this going and il add confirmed players later and also new ones confirmed and rumors etc, cos we know theres gonna be a few threads opened on this topic in the next few weeks :)

Rory mcilroy - Confirmed
    GMAC - Confirmed
    Padraig harrington - Confirmed
    Darren Clarke - Confirmed
    Michael Hoey - Confirmed
    Bubba watson - TBC
    Luke donald?
    Lee westwood?

I heard big Phil was going to come but the women of Ireland objected based on his comments at the 1991 Walker Cup in Portmarnock:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Would be hoping Luke Donald & Justin Rose consider playing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I'd say a lot of the big European players will decide nearer the time depending on where they are in the Ryder cup quailifying. Westwood has said on twitter he is a no as he hates the weather in Ireland think he missed the scottish open for the same reason last year.
    Could see a few of the americans making the trip if it was a week closer to the open not sure seen as it is 3 weeks before.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Westwood won't play because of the weather - definite sign of mental weakness. Not a good omen for his prospects of getting a major

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Aidric wrote: »
    The Open doesn't take place until three weeks after the Irish open. The French & Scottish are in between

3 weeks before The Open is the main reason why the field wont be as big as it could be. It needs to be in at least the French Open slot(July 5th - 8th) to have any chance of attracting the strongest ranked field in world golf.
    mike12 wrote: »
    Westwood has said on twitter he is a no as he hates the weather in Ireland.
    Could see a few of the americans making the trip if it was a week closer to the open not sure seen as it is 3 weeks before.
    Mike

The Americans will stay away for the same reason as Westwood as our weather is not what they want or are willing to put up with regardless of the preparation factor it serves for The Open and as above we are too far out from the Open.
    A few big names will be over for the Scottish Open and that's as early as they will commit to with alot of the other big names doing practice throughout the links of Ireland & Scotland the week before The Open on their own terms and not competitively. We are just too far out for the really big names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Probably a thread elsewhere but Keegan Bradley is committed to playing in Portrush. Big boost.

Big boost. Both Molinari brothers confirmed too, neither played last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Just saw it there, thats a massive coup for the Irish Open.

If they could get another 2 or 3 big names it would have the makings of a super tournament

big_drive wrote: »
    If they could get another 2 or 3 big names it would have the makings of a super tournament

Dustin johnson would top it off for me and rickie

The small prize fund will keep a few away if they are looking to qualify for the ryder cup there are bigger prize funds awailable else where.
    Mike

The small prize fund will keep a few away if they are looking to qualify for the ryder cup there are bigger prize funds awailable else where.
    Mike

If it doesnt bother bradley and guys like that who are big names but have nowhere near the riches woods and michelson and the likes possess, i dont see why they would be put off?

If it doesnt bother bradley and guys like that who are big names but have nowhere near the riches woods and michelson and the likes possess, i dont see why they would be put off?
    Keegan is coming because he has Irish roots, most of the events on during the summer have 4 million prize funds so guys like Westwood, Poulter and Donald won't bother playing. I'd say it would be easier to get the likes of Tiger and Phil to come than the europeans who play in America.
    Mike

Keegan is coming because he has Irish roots, most of the events on during the summer have 4 million prize funds so guys like Westwood, Poulter and Donald won't bother playing. I'd say it would be easier to get the likes of Tiger and Phil to come than the europeans who play in America.
    Mike

Il settle for tiger and phil no prob, even though all tiger will do is throw clubs :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

dvemail wrote: »
    Just saw it there, thats a massive coup for the Irish Open.
    Hardly a coup, more than likely big appearance money involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Jul3s wrote: »
    Hardly a coup, more than likely big appearance money involved.

would have to agree with you here. Id say there is alot of work and pressure been done behind the scenes to drive get players there that wasnt done for Killarney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

thread here AGC, will merge these threads in a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mike

Phil almost never plays outside of America. The only time he does is for the Scottish Open and the British Open. The Scottish one because his sponsor is Barclays but they're not sponsoring the tournament any more so I reckon it's unlikely that he'll come over for it. I also think he's won two or three times outside of America so I doubt he likes it too much.

It's unlikely that he'll come over. I'd say there's more chance of Tiger coming over. It'd be great if he did but I can't see either of them playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

If a couple more big names arrive, there'll be some calls to keep it at Portrush next year.

Just a few more and the world ranking points might be worth winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Keegan is coming because he has Irish roots,

He'd better not spit on the hallowed turf of RP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

thewobbler wrote: »
    If a couple more big names arrive, there'll be some calls to keep it at Portrush next year.

Its already been awarded to Carton House for 2013 so I doubt that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Advance day tickets for the Irish Open are available for £30, a saving of £5 on the gate price,
    £30-35 is a bit saucy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

big_drive wrote: »

I'm still waiting for my invite but I'll play, I suppose. I presume I can get my usual deal of +10 shots and be able to play off the forward tees? I mighet even waive the appearance money

Advertisement