Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

I beleive it when I see it!

Once again!! More misprinted info about us...
    Radios were always available from the pool.... If not in use!!

Unpaid body? We get paid for our expenses!!! If you complete 208hr per year!

We are not a separate body: we are a rank with in An Garda. This is not the FCA!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Nothing about PO powers,???it will be interesting to see what happens with this , there going doing more recruitment why? to have them waiting years to get in ,they must have adleast 100 if not more waiting, me being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Yes I start training this Thursday and Friday then 2 weeks in December and other dates to be confirmed in new year

Hi, how are you getting on in GR?? What kind of reactions are you getting from full time members??

Garda Reserves to receive greater powers
    Thursday 19 February 2015 22.45

Reserve gardaí will be able to issue penalty points, serve summons to motorists and seize vehicles
    The Garda Commissioner is set to widen the powers and duties of the Garda Reserve.

RTÉ News has learned that, after an internal review of the 1,000 member Garda Reserve by the Garda Commissioner Nóirín O'Sullivan, it has been decided to extend their powers to include issuing penalty points and serving summons to motorists and the power to seize vehicles.

Members of the voluntary unpaid body will also be issue with TETRA radios when going on duty.

RELATED AUDIO & VIDEO

Watch: Garda Reserve to be given more powers and duties
    Minister for Justice and Equality Frances Fitzgerald confirmed in the Dáil this morning that the Commissioner is finalising arrangements to extend the powers so that the Reserve "can make a greater contribution to policing."

She said that recruitment to the Garda Reserve slowed down last year as the Public Appointments Service was focused on recruitment to An Garda Síochána.

However, there will 'more accelerated recruitment to the Garda Reserve' this year.

RTÉ has learned that under the new proposals, members of the a voluntary unpaid body are also set to be given additional training in areas such as domestic violence, child protection, conflict resolution, garda policy on bullying and harassment, and Out of Vehicle Safety Training (OVST).

The Garda Reserve was established under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and members have certain garda powers while on duty and perform their policing duties as determined by the Commissioner, under the supervision of and supported by regular garda members.

Among the existing duties of Garda Reserve members are station duties, monitoring CCTV, foot patrol accompanied by full-time Garda members, and providing cordons at major events such as festivals and sporting events.

Some people have used the Garda Reserve as a stepping-stone for entry into the force.

Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil this morning that "23 members of the first group who entered the college in Templemore had been members of the Garda Reserve. Some 17 former members of the Garda Reserve were in the second batch of 100 new recruits, while 13 former members were in the third batch of 100 new recruits."

Minister Fitzgerald has welcomed confirmation from the Commissioner that she is finalising arrangements for the extension of powers and facilities to Garda Reserve.

Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil today that as of 31 December 2014, the latest date for which figures are available, there were 1,124 Garda Reserve members with a further 48 in training.

There are 12,799 members in An Garda Síochána.

Keywords: garda reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

was in the GR for 4 years, a complete waste of time, cant believe I stayed for so long, hoping it would get better, it didn't !
    Sorry to be saying this, but it is so poorly set up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

was in the GR for 4 years, a complete waste of time, cant believe I stayed for so long, hoping it would get better, it didn't !
    Sorry to be saying this, but it is so poorly set up.

Did you feel going home at the end of the day you made a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

ive spoken to many who are in the reserve force and they couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to training and getting stuck in and doing my best when in the position.

Cedric87 wrote:
    ive spoken to many who are in the reserve force and they couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to training and getting stuck in and doing my best when in the position.

So have I , and many garda have said to me its a great stepping stone , hopefully we will get in the same class man :D

Yeah hopefully we are, I really hope it's the June class I get into as ive a holiday in septemeber that ive paid for and don't want to have to miss. I'm still nervous over this exemption though I just want to hear back.

Cedric87 wrote:
    Yeah hopefully we are, I really hope it's the June class I get into as ive a holiday in septemeber that ive paid for and don't want to have to miss. I'm still nervous over this exemption though I just want to hear back.

Stay positive man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I've been offered part time work doing door security on a hotel. I work full time but I am paying for diplomas and an up coming degree so the extra cash is handy. (all through the book)

Question is you can't be a reserve and working security but can I do it and of I get in them just leave? It's only for the summer months

Hi KwackerJack,

Im in security myself and i was told by HR that i will have to hand my PSAL back if i want to get offered training . Were in the process are you have you had a medical ?

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Hi KwackerJack,

Im in security myself and i was told by HR that i will have to hand my PSAL back if i want to get offered training . Were in the process are you have you had a medical ?

My application has gone for final decision :-( Not sure if I'll get in due to my education exemption.

I have just complete a years Credit Management Diploma so I'm hoping that helps as I've emailed them my certificate.

So has mine , it was maths for me,when did u send urs off? but have u not done a medical yet?
    Do u have any charity work or community work done ?

Hi all ,, I went for my medical for garda reserves on July 15th gone at 10am just wondering was there anyone else on this day aswell ?? Have few questions thanks in advance

Hi, can you tell me what the medical was like? What did the doc go through? How long did it take etc??
    Cheers

My application has gone for final decision :-( Not sure if I'll get in due to my education exemption.

I have just complete a years Credit Management Diploma so I'm hoping that helps as I've emailed them my certificate.

Got an email today from GR office regarding education exemption as I did not do leaving cert. Working in security at the moment but looking to move away from it, does this email mean that the background checks on my application have come back? After waiting nearly 2 years from the time my BR form was submitted.

So has mine , it was maths for me,when did u send urs off? but have u not done a medical yet?
    Do u have any charity work or community work done ?

No I haven't been called for a medical. I'm waiting nearly 2 years for my BR checks to get to this stage!

Yes I have charity work dome and still doing some.

Good stuff man , hopefully ul be grand :)

rookie1470 wrote: »
    Hi, can you tell me what the medical was like? What did the doc go through? How long did it take etc??
    Cheers

I went in at 11 and was out by 12. Check your blood pressure and breathing then piss sample and hearing test they check bmi.
    It's off up to the main doctor then and he does a sight test with you then up onto the chair, he checks you over and then fills in paper work and tells you if you pass or not.

Anyone else get word of the medical yet?

• Advertisement

Anyone else get word of the medical yet?

You've really got to keep at them I rang every month and last time I rang I got one.

Cedric87 wrote: »
    You've really got to keep at them I rang every month and last time I rang I got one.

I called them earlier and I'm waiting a call back!

Horrible bloody feeling this waiting game! If I don't get it well thats life nut at least I'll know!

I called them earlier and I'm waiting a call back!

Horrible bloody feeling this waiting game! If I don't get it well thats life nut at least I'll know!

Id say you'll have one within the next week or two.

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Id say you'll have one within the next week or two.

Hopefully.......

Hopefully.......

I herd there is more in may kwacker jack

I herd there is more in may kwacker jack

If get accepted lol...education exemption is the thing!

I'm ex Army and have worked with private security firm on everything from cash and transit to ships at sea but who knows may mean nothing to the Gardai.

I'm ex Army and have worked with private security firm on everything from cash and transit to ships at sea but who knows may mean nothing to the Gardai.

Ul 100% get in with that experience .

Ul 100% get in with that experience .

You would think but who knows. All I can do is pray lol

They emailed me earlier to enquire about my employment. I'm a credit controller for a large worldwide bakery but they thought I was a debt collector!

At least my application is being looked at

• Advertisement

They emailed me earlier to enquire about my employment. I'm a credit controller for a large worldwide bakery but they thought I was a debt collector!

At least my application is being looked at

The bakery is just a front be honest your really a debt collector for a drug gang. I think I'll make detective in no time.

Advertisement