Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I'm still in shock :confused: he took my blood pressure and heart rate and signed it and said good luck.. He probably charged for the good luck aswell:rolleyes: Just to get to the medical in Dublin has cost 110 euro already with 61 euro for the train from Cork.. Not good especially when ur a student.

Yes, My GP just signed mine, in fact I dropped it in the night before and phoned up next day and called for it never even spoke to GP. I wonder how I would know you on the day, you sound young maybe if we want to meet at the Medical you could leave a private message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Passed the medical 2day!!
    Alot easy than i thought.Very quick 2, out by 11.30..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Congratulations :)

You did well to be out that fast. I didn't get to leave till 1 and there were 8 other guys behind me.

So, did they tell you to expect a letter ? How did everyone else get on ???

Thanks! Yeah they were real quick, Doctor arrived at 10.30 and there was four in front of me and i still managed to get out at 11.30 ish. Every1 before me passed anyway, so did freddiew!
    They just said they'll get in touch soon.

Yes, a great day all round and good to meet Murphy. Great feeling to have passed. The Dr was telling me this was only his second stint of Medicals so maybe we got off lightly! Looking forward to w/e 3/4th Nov. Glad you got back safely to Cork (C) I am in Hotel in Tullamore while waiting for Disco to start up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Well done freddiew and Murphy. You guys make it sound like it was handy compared to other previous posts. Do you reckon the medical was toned down a little or is it what you expected. Oh! and did he ask you to touch your feet. just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi Murphy and Freddie,fair play,can you describe what they did check,are you both fit or average,overweight or toned,just wondering as you seeem to have flown through.Thanks.

on standby wrote: »
    Do you reckon the medical was toned down a little or is it what you expected. Oh! and did he ask you to touch your feet. just curious.

Well done Freddiew. Fair play.

It does seem to have been a quicker medical that normal or at least different to the one we're all used to. I was never asked to touch my feet though .....

Well done Freddiew. Fair play.

It does seem to have been a quicker medical that normal or at least different to the one we're all used to. I was never asked to touch my feet though .....

The Medical was thorough, no pain involved. 1st you have a urine sample which you are given a container, then you have blood preassure taken, then you blow through a unit for a lung test, then you have an ECG taken, then a hearing test in a soundproof booth, then you wait on the Dr and before you see him you change into a surgical gown and dressing gown. The Dr will measure your height and weight including body fat, then he will do the eye test for vision and colour blindness then he will look into your mouth ask you to cough, then he will he will lower your underwear and ask you to cough, he doesn't grab them as some said on here at least he didn't grab mine he pressed around that area lightly and asked me to cough, then he will ask you to sit down and announce the result. I think this is it in a nutshell. No hassle at all.

freddiew wrote: »
    then you have an ECG taken

I never had a ECG. That must be a new one.

• Advertisement

Hi Murphy and Freddie,fair play,can you describe what they did check,are you both fit or average,overweight or toned,just wondering as you seeem to have flown through.Thanks.

Well im only 20, well 21 on the 5th. like to think that im in good shape:rolleyes: But every1 there seemed to have flown through.. Reading the posts before i went up, made it look really hard and that alot fail. Wasnt that way at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AN SEANDUINE

Congrats on passing your medicals lads we will all be graduating together on march 8 2008 .what i really enjoyed in phase 1 was the delicous free food in templemore ,for lunch we had a choice of spaghetti bolognese or plaice and potatoes and veg,at night before we headed back to the hotel we had chips, pizza ,and chicken goujons.
    A tip would be to stand near the back of the queue for the evening meal as the kitchen staff cook loads and don't want to throw any out and as a result you get extra helpings.

Did we have an ECG????
    I cant remember that :rolleyes:

Congrats on passing your medicals lads we will all be graduating together on march 8 2008 .what i really enjoyed in phase 1 was the delicous free food in templemore ,for lunch we had a choice of spaghetti bolognese or plaice and potatoes and veg,at night before we headed back to the hotel we had chips, pizza ,and chicken goujons.
    A tip would be to stand near the back of the queue for the evening meal as the kitchen staff cook loads and don't want to throw any out and as a result you get extra helpings.

O cool, So our group will be graduating with ye 2??? I cant wait to head up now, really looking 4ward to it. Plus its the weekend of my 21st

Did we have an ECG????
    I cant remember that :rolleyes:

Well the nurse did an ECG on me stuck all the pads to your body and then the pointers stick onto it and she got a print out, it was after she did the hearing test with me!!

Really, That wasnt done with me at all.

Nor me. Maybe your blood pressure was a bit high or something and she just wanted to check ????

It never occured to me either that your group will be graduating with us next year. Seanduine is in my group too. P1 is good, but don't drink too much on your 21st as you have a bit of physical day on the sunday with self defence training. The dinner and teas are nice, especially the deserts, which its best to grab when you see them as they are brought to the back later on, but you can still get one or two if you ask. You don't have to drive to the hotel either as they get you a bus, but you do have to be up rather early on Sunday morning.

Really, That wasnt done with me at all.

Maybe older guys have to have ECG done!! Can anyone tell me what exactly happens on the Saturday & Sunday, all I know is we have to be there for 9am and then we get fitted for Uniform, what is the program of events after that if someone who has already done it can tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andy1971

freddiew wrote: »
    Hi, when I had my interview the Super told me that if I arrest someone I have to remember that next day I go to court and if I have my day job then there is a problem but I know some stations have the policy that the Reserves do not arrest, leave it to the full-time but as far as I am aware yes the reserves do have the power of arrest. Regarding the colour test the onlt test I was given was a Traffic light through the screen red was on top orange in the middle and green on the bottom. Hope this helps.

I thought they would be doing that colour blind test with all those little dots??
    Hopefully not.

andy1971 wrote: »
    I thought they would be doing that colour blind test with all those little dots??
    Hopefully not.

Hey Andy, That was done also

• Advertisement

Hopefully not.

Forgot about that, they show you two circles filled with colours and you have to make out the number in the center of each circle (i'm not sure if that's what Murphy means?)but that should not be a problem once you focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andy1971

I can see any colour in detail, show me a bag of M & Ms and I can tell you the colour of everyone of them, but I always have trouble with those little dots test. I bet they will fail me on that reason.:(

I can see any colour in detail, show me a bag of M & Ms and I can tell you the colour of everyone of them, but I always have trouble with those little dots test. I bet they will fail me on that reason.:(

I am sure they won't, try not to worry, they are very friendly and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Hi all,

Just found this board this morning which is a bit of a pity because it would have been very handy for the interviews etc I've had to do so far. Anyway long story short, I've my medical on Wednesday 14/11 and I'm fairly nervous. I know you've probably dealt with this in detail already but I was wondering would someone let me know what to expect.

Thanks!

colliegG wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just found this board this morning which is a bit of a pity because it would have been very handy for the interviews etc I've had to do so far. Anyway long story short, I've my medical on Wednesday 14/11 and I'm fairly nervous. I know you've probably dealt with this in detail already but I was wondering would someone let me know what to expect.

Thanks!

No need to worry about Medical, nothing painful. No needles or blood taken involved. You will have eye tesy, hearing test, blood pressure, weight, height, no problem.

colliegG wrote: »
    Thanks Freddie, Have to say I'd be more nervous about the medical more than any other stage so far. I'm not too worried about my general fitness but, for example, I could have something wrong with my hearing I never knew about. After getting all the interviews etc that would be a kick in the teeth. If I pass it I'm down to Templemore on the 1st and 2nd of December. All going well.

Good Luck, let me know how you get on, I have just come back from Templemore and starting Phase 2 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

just another question on the medical regarding BMI

I'm currently hovering at the 32 mark but working on it.

does anyone have any info on how low it has to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Persol

Hi all,
    Any chance you could explain how to get to Garda medical section from Dublin City centre.

Cheers

Persol wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Any chance you could explain how to get to Garda medical section from Dublin City centre.

Cheers

From O'Connell Bridge if walking, go up the Quays against the traffic until you come to the very end and the Phoenix Park is straight ahead, when you go through Park Gates take last exit off the roundabout and it is straight up, just follow signs. Or take No 10 bus to Park and 5 mins walk. Hope this is helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Persol

Thanks so much Frediew!

Advertisement