Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom email server

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

What I did was

nslookup myIP 213.94.190.226

and

nslookup 213.94.190.226 myIP

from your description the first one was the correct one to use & gave the results shown. I can try the Google one tonight when I am back home

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes that's right, although it should be .236 (assume that as a typo :))

I've just checked my own IP with both eircom DNS servers and it also gives a timeout, although when I telnet to webmail.eircom.net it comes back immediately with the correct hostname in the Ready reply. Very odd.

Yup it was a typo :)

Suspect an eircom issue, especially given gadgetman's comment ... maybe they got the lightening strike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Hi

Seem to be having a similar issue receving emails since last Friday.

Have an eircom.net email address - always accessed via Microsoft Outlook on desktop pc.

Until 3/4 weeks ago was with Eircom broadband but moved to Sky broadband.

Anyway left incoming server as pop.eircom.net and outgoing server now at smtp.tools.sky.com.

Issue is that emails dont come in until the next day or a few hours later and the send/receive bar is always "in progress" when it comes to receving mail.

Rang Sky on Sunday and the IT guy said they had a few people with eircom email addresses with the same issue.
    Said he would ring back later which he did saying they didn't know when it was going to be fixed.

Still having the same issue.

Is it eircom/sky or whose issue?

Pretty sure it is an eircom issue, as the kid's gmail works fine on Sky, plus i see the same issue whether I connect on my Shy broadband or via Vodafone 3G.

BTW - I assume you figured out the need to configure your outlook to login to the Sky outgoing server using a separate Sky email address? That one got me for ages when I first moved over :)

• Advertisement

tombrown wrote: »
    Pretty sure it is an eircom issue, as the kid's gmail works fine on Sky, plus i see the same issue whether I connect on my Shy broadband or via Vodafone 3G.

BTW - I assume you figured out the need to configure your outlook to login to the Sky outgoing server using a separate Sky email address? That one got me for ages when I first moved over :)

Are eircom customers with eircom email addresses having the same issue?

Is it worth posting in the Talk to...Eircom section of the site?

Yes had to set up a Sky Yahoo email address to ensure emails were set up correctly - luckily after a couple of days I rang Sky and spent 45 mins on phone with IT setting it up. Nightmare.Wouldn't have copped it on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I remember now setting up email for a mate who moved to sky and it was a pain (OMG mention of smtp.tools.sky.com brought it back to me). I also remember that while their eircom email would eventually download if the PC was left on all day any attempt to download mail by clicking Send/Receive in Outlook failed with a time out.

So I think Alun is right about the reverse DNS lookup failing leading to the time out.

Are eircom customers with eircom email addresses having the same issue?

Is it worth posting in the Talk to...Eircom section of the site?

Done - http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057391107

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Might be worth setting up a gmail account and setting up gmail to pull in your Eircom mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

OP

Sky need to set up reverse DNS on the ip addresses they are giving out. There is none for 78.16.122.128.

Presume if you are a Sky BB customer you are using their outgoing mail server to send. You won't be able to use the eircom one.

• Advertisement

java wrote: »
    OP

Sky need to set up reverse DNS on the ip addresses they are giving out. There is none for 78.16.122.128.

Presume if you are a Sky BB customer you are using their outgoing mail server to send. You won't be able to use the eircom one.

It is not a SKY problem. I see the same issue when connecting via VF 3g. plus the email was working fine until a week ago

It works now, in that it connects to the eircom email server & downloads the email, its just it takes so long that it times out with the default timeout set to 60s. Resetting it to 270s fixes the problem, albeit with a frustrating delay

It is not a SKY problem. I see the same issue when connecting via VF 3g. plus the email was working fine until a week ago
    It is partly Sky's fault though in that if they had bothered to allocate DNS names to their client IP addresses the problem wouldn't occur. I've also just checked my phone and it appears that VF actually issue a private IP address to phones, in the 10.x.x.x range, presumably some kind of proxy, and these will never resolve against a public DNS server either, so I imagine that's why the same thing is happening there.

However, there's clearly something odd about the way the eircom mail servers are attempting to do the initial reverse DNS lookup on connection which is causing an enormous timeout to occur, rather than just returning an immediate error.

I'm on UPC, and have no problems with any of the 3 eircom email accounts I still have at all.

According to eircom (http://support.eircom.net/article/e-mail-settings) :-

Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

Nevertheless I tried mail1, and get identical results

The rest of that url says:

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP

presumably you are using the Sky smtp outgoing server?

java wrote: »
    The rest of that url says:

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP

presumably you are using the Sky smtp outgoing server?
    His problem is with receiving mail, not sending it!

BTW mail1 used to also be the POP3 server for the old-style email accounts before they migrated to their new email infrastructure.

Yes my email is setup correctly, including the SKY server for outgoing email & all the complications of having to login to the SKY server using a SKY email address.

As I said this was working flawlessly a week ago, so do you guys think SKY decided to remove "reverse DNS" last Wednesday?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm not sure that this is necessarily a sky issue. We've been having problems with our eircom email on our eircom broadband since last week. I haven't tried the fixes here yet but will give them a go tomorrow

I see someone from Eircom and another user responded to your post - he said it is Sky's issue.

There is a Talk to... Sky as well on here

Will give it a day or two and may contact Sky on here and link them to the threads.

I am really not convinced it is a SKY issue - other folks are now reporting the same issue at other ISPs in both this thread & the Ask Eircom one; plus, as I said, gmail works fine using POP on Outllok via Sky

As I said this was working flawlessly a week ago, so do you guys think SKY decided to remove "reverse DNS" last Wednesday?
    No. I think it's a change on the eircom side in the way they're doing their reverse DNS lookups.

Just toe be sure, I take it when you connect via telnet as we discussed earlier that it's only the establishment of the initial connection that takes ages? I.e. all the other commands, USER, PASS, STAT, LIST, RETR etc. come back instantly? If so, it can only be a DNS issue as far as I can see.

Thats correct - connection takes forever (couple fo minutes is forever in my book :)), after that the response are instantaneous

Similarly on the email connection with Outlook - once the incoming email starts downloading it comes in quite quickly (as normal) its just there is a 2-3 minute pause when I open Outlook or hit Send/Receive before it starts.

• Advertisement

Just checked this evening & Outlook is now connecting immediately again :)

Did a couple more checks :-

- telnet to the eircom server also connects immediately
    - nslookup still gives a DNS Request timed out.

So - looks like Eircom made changes at their end

Someone from eircom has been reading this thread :)

Just checked this evening & Outlook is now connecting immediately again :)

Did a couple more checks :-

- telnet to the eircom server also connects immediately
    - nslookup still gives a DNS Request timed out.

I'm still having the same issue unfortunately.

An email I sent 2 hours ago from another email address to the eircom email address still hasn't arrived.

Edit: The email finally arrived 3 hours after I sent it along with around 10 emails from yesterday - this is a bit of a joke now. I know I can access them directly via eircom webmail on their site but I prefer to have them accessed via Outlook.

See attached error message

I'm still having the same issue unfortunately.

An email I sent 2 hours ago from another email address to the eircom email address still hasn't arrived.

Edit: The email finally arrived 3 hours after I sent it along with around 10 emails from yesterday - this is a bit of a joke now. I know I can access them directly via eircom webmail on their site but I prefer to have them accessed via Outlook.

See attached error message

Did you try increasing the timeout for the incoming mail server? In the account settings, click on "More settings" and then the Advanced tab and you can set the server timeout.

I increased it to 270 seconds (from the default of 60) when I first had issues, but now the issues have gone (for me), I have it back to 60

Did you try increasing the timeout for the incoming mail server? In the account settings, click on "More settings" and then the Advanced tab and you can set the server timeout.

I increased it to 270 seconds (from the default of 60) when I first had issues, but now the issues have gone (for me), I have it back to 60

Hi,

The incoming server was set to 110 seconds - I have increased it to 270 as per your recommendation (see attached image).

When you put up your post on the Talk to Eircom part of the site, did you send the Eircm guys details on your email address? Did they maybe do something on their side to help fix your issues?

Thanks

Hi,

The incoming server was set to 110 seconds - I have increased it to 270 as per your recommendation (see attached image).

When you put up your post on the Talk to Eircom part of the site, did you send the Eircm guys details on your email address? Did they maybe do something on their side to help fix your issues?

Thanks
    WRONG, that's not a timeout that's the port number for the incoming server, leave it at 110 for POP3!!!!!

It's the Server Timeouts slider below that that you need to adjust!

Alun wrote: »
    WRONG, that's not a timeout that's the port number for the incoming server, leave it at 110 for POP3!!!!!

It's the Server Timeouts slider below that that you need to adjust!

Thank for that, adjusted it correctly now.

or Sky did. Has your ip address changed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Hi

I have Sky broadband, but still retain my eircom email account. I have outlook setup for thsi & have been succesfully using it for the last 2 years. Since last Wednesday I have stopped receiving emails, though I can still send them. I get a timeout error (0x8004210A)

Have there been some changes to the eircom incoming mail server that I need to make. Currently I use incoming server webmail.eircom.net. and POP3 port 110

Is Eircom email available as standalone option that you pay for??

• Advertisement

More and more people seem to be having the same issue and a few of them recently left Eircom hmmmmmmm

Advertisement