Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

islanderre wrote: »
    I think that stick on the Captains LHS is for nosewheel steering on the ground........ not 100% sure though....

There looks like there is something above that arc looking device. Up tight against the trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

It could be a controller for the display screens, would make it easy switching to the different modes, any pilots on here know what its for?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

sully2010 wrote: »
    Just saw the picture of the gulfstream g650 on anet and noticed it has a side stick and yoke. Never saw this before, I presume they are both the same function for whatever the pilots preference is? And what to pilots generally prefer, sidestick or yoke?

In the Gulfstream operator's manual it is in the diagram in Part C of the layout diagrams for the cockpit in Aircraft General but it isn't labeled :confused:

Smurfjed flies Gulfstreams afaik so he should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

islanderre wrote: »
    I think that stick on the Captains LHS is for nosewheel steering on the ground........ not 100% sure though....

That's done by the little tiller on the LHS. I too am flumaxed what it is.

Smurf, where are ye when we need you? Surely you have Internet access on those gulf streams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

sully2010 wrote: »
    Just saw the picture of the gulfstream g650 on anet and noticed it has a side stick and yoke. Never saw this before, I presume they are both the same function for whatever the pilots preference is? And what to pilots generally prefer, sidestick or yoke?

They are the cursor controls for the MFD interface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Thought that I answered this earlier, but crappy Internet due broken unsea cable.

It's a hand rest with MFD controls on the top of it. Steering is the one on the bottom.

The cursor control devices (CCD) are also distinctly different. Instead of EASy's two centre-console trackballs, the PlaneView cursor controls are handgrips mounted on the cockpit sidewalls, reminiscent of a fighter's switch-festooned throttle. The cursor is slewed by a thumb controller, while the "ENTER" function uses an index-finger trigger switch. The cursor is "jumped" from display to display with three buttons located just above the slew control. In EASy the cursor is slewed from display to display with the trackball. And while EASy has a rotary knob on the CCD panel to change display scales, I found PlaneView's CCD thumb scrollwheel easier to use...........

This started in the G5, so it's also in the G450,550 and now 650.

Smurfjed

Any more detailed info? It looks a massive thing just to play on the MFD. Cockpit looks like the star ship enterprise and is so more advanced than many airliners.

The one big thing that I'd love to have is jeppesen / lido charts on a moving map screen re ground charts. Taxing in the pissins of snow/rain on a dark sh1tty evening reverting to paper ground charts in poor light looking for the reading specs is painful. The Gulf Stream appears to have all this gear?

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

One Concorde, F-WTSB had a side stick on the left hand side for a bit. There's more about it on the brilliant Concorde thread on pprune. http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/423988-concorde-question-67.html. Post 1324

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Found this video, not the best quality but its a nifty little gadget all the same!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJgqBmySU2I

• Advertisement

8604081458_512df701bf_z.jpg

This is a similar controller, but from the Falcon 7X.

smurfjed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Boeing_777-300ER_Cockpit_opt600x900_flikr.jpg

Here are the 777 CCD's. They are the black touchpad and buttons directly below the CDU's.
    The 3 buttons above each trackpad are to select which MFD the cursor appears on. The "select" button (equivalent of the mouse button) is located on the side of the unit and is operated by the thumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

On the ng737,can you choose which tank the apu takes its fuel from?

drdeadlift wrote: »

From my 737 days which neither today or yesterday the LH tank feeds the APU with the recommendation of a fuel pump on.

Should an imbalance occur ie the APU left on for hours, I recall we used to open the x feed and turn a rh fuel pump on.

To answer your question the answer is no I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

drdeadlift wrote: »

No,its taken from l/h tank 1,on the NG There's no need to have a main pump on for start like the classic,Most NG's have a DC Boost pump fitted to aid start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Stupid question time. Let's say you are piloting a flight from Dublin to London (or any location east of Dublin).

As a pilot, which is more annoying prior to take-off and why?

a) long backtaxi the full length of the runway and make a 180° turn to put the aircraft in takeoff position

b) short taxi to the near end of the runway and take off heading west but make the 180° in the air

This questions has given me countless sleepless nights.

keith16 wrote: »
    Stupid question time. Let's say you are piloting a flight from Dublin to London (or any location east of Dublin).

As a pilot, which is more annoying prior to take-off and why?

a) long backtaxi the full length of the runway and make a 180° turn to put the aircraft in takeoff position

b) short taxi to the near end of the runway and take off heading west but make the 180° in the air

This questions has given me countless sleepless nights.

Back taxi down the runway is annoying and long ones are very uncommon in large jet capable airports. Takes longer and there is always the chance that someone will land on you. You can easily spin her on a 5 pence in the air!

LeftBase wrote: »
    Back taxi down the runway is annoying and long ones are very uncommon in large jet capable airports. Takes longer and there is always the chance that someone will land on you. You can easily spin her on a 5 pence in the air!

Yeah, as a passenger who pretends to fly the plane, I find the back taxi down the far end of the runway very annoying!

But at least when you get airborne you are heading in the right direction! I feel like I'm getting to my easterly destination quicker!

I have another question. Do any pilots here watch "Air Crash Investigations" and think to themselves "bullshit" at certain points of the show?

I watch and really enjoy the show, but sometimes I reckon they over-egg it a bit on the investigation side of the program....they make it seem like the investigation teams work around the clock, smoky rooms....and that they work for ages on potential leads before ruling it out.

What do pilots think generally of the show? Do you ever actually learn something from it?

keith16 wrote: »
    I have another question. Do any pilots here watch "Air Crash Investigations" and think to themselves "bullshit" at certain points of the show?

I watch and really enjoy the show, but sometimes I reckon they over-egg it a bit on the investigation side of the program....they make it seem like the investigation teams work around the clock, smoky rooms....and that they work for ages on potential leads before ruling it out.

What do pilots think generally of the show? Do you ever actually learn something from it?

A lot of pilots will say that everytime you talk to someone in aviation about aviation, fly a plane, or do anything aircraft related you im to learn something new.

• Advertisement

WE get paid by the hour.... Long slow taxi to the end and turn around :)

smurfjed

smurfjed wrote: »
    WE get paid by the hour.... Long slow taxi to the end and turn around :)

smurfjed

Do you still be doing some pre flight checks during the taxi or is that all done prior to push back?

It starts with a cockpit preparation checklist about 30 minutes before departure, then the following:

1: Before start checklist
    2: After start checklist
    3: Taxi Checklist
    4: Before takeoff checklist
    5: After takeoff checklists

Checklists are accomplished by performing a memorised FLOW pattern, followed by reading the checklist with a challenge / response.

All emergency / abnormal checklists are accomplished with read / do. We actually have no memory items.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

We actually have no memory items.

You must have some surely? What about the first actions for unreliable airspeed or windshear or a rejected take off, on ground emergency just to name a few? Does your aircraft manufacturer want you to reach for a book during those?

basill wrote: »
    You must have some surely? What about the first actions for unreliable airspeed or windshear or a rejected take off, on ground emergency just to name a few? Does your aircraft manufacturer want you to reach for a book during those?

I'll wade in here too, what about a uncontaminated engine failure off the deck and you need to secure same? Not really a time for rooting through a check when things need to acted upon fairly smartly.

I totally agree with both of you, the logic is strange, there are multiple occasions where an IMMEDIATE reaction is required without any time to refer to a checklist, but they are not memory items.

8613248148_af9cb84799_z.jpg

Look at the 2 checklists above, the Hawker had boxed immediate response memorised items, followed by the rest of the checklist. The Gulfstream has no boxed memory items. In fact their whole checklist philosophy is strange, looking at the Simuflite training video on how to accomplish checklists with two old American guys sitting in the cockpit, it was so laid back and slow that it resembled a couple of old timers sitting on the porch with a jug of Tennessee bourbon.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I searched the thread for this but nothing came back.

The Twin Towers - Do you believe the hijackers who'd only had prop training could have flown 757 and 767 jets accurately enough to hit the towers?

My friend is a junior pilot for BA and he told me that his class sneaked some SIM time and of 6, only 1 hit the buildings.

Not the standard question i know - but still one of interest!

I think that your question would be more suitable in the following forum...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Moderator gets annoyed with us if we go off topic :)

smurfjed

smurfjed wrote: »
    Moderator gets annoyed with us if we go off topic :)

smurfjed

"underground fortress of the trolls" is where bongos is from........I wonder.

• Advertisement

Smurf, what does the Gulf Stream checklist say re Engine Fire / Severe Damage? This is where things as we all agree get "sporty".... Thanks for throwing up the checklist in a previous post

Advertisement