Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2

• 18-06-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

Now that the 2 phones are out a while, what's the verdict? Preferably people how've experience/ knowledge of both should vote. I can guess the winner, it will be interesting to see the margin of victory though;)

HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S2 - which is better in your opinion? 15 votes

HTC Sensation
    0% 0 votes
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I dont think anyone who paid the same price for the sensation will tell the truth and vote for the gs2 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I dont think anyone who paid the same price for the sensation will tell the truth and vote for the gs2 tbh.

The SGS2 is a light plasticky, iPhone styled handset, same as the SGS was, whilst that doesn't bother some people, indeed they like it, it very much bothers others. I bought a Sensation and am happy with my decision, and certainly prefer it to my mate's SGS2. Performance wise there is little real world difference between the 2 phones, it mainly comes down to personal stuff, like Touchwiz v Sense and Weighty Alu Unibody styling v light, premium plastic iPhone styling. Each to there own, and 2 exceptional phones, the only real plus for the SGS2 atm imo is the unlocked bootloader, and the uncertainty about if and when the Sensations will be unlocked..

Yes it is like the iphone, but the plastic is nothing like any of the iphones….
    It is solid except for when you take the back cover of, I dont like sense or touchwiz tbh. Plus the extra ram will keep the phone going longer.

My main problem with the sensation is the locked bootloader, having a locked android phone is not quite pointless as its a very nice phone but it defeats the purpose of going with android imo.

Anyway, they are both very nice phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well done OP, just what we needed. Another thread about these two phones. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Yes it is like the iphone, but the plastic is nothing like any of the iphones….

I would say it is very similar to the 3G/3GS plastic, at the end of the day high gloss black plastic is high gloss black plastic. It is most noticeable on the body of the phone where is it smooth and shiny - the battery cover has a nice textured finish.

The best physical atribute about the SGS II is the lightweight nature of the phone and the S-AMOLED+ display. The best software atribute is the absence of HTC Sense, which is massively over hyped, touchWiz is fairly close to stock and easy to get rid of. Android should ban this rubbish shipping on phones and force stock Android. If customers want fancy launchers let them add it from the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't miss sense now with launcher pro and go weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Well done OP, just what we needed. Another thread about these two phones. :rolleyes:

But first one with a poll, saves reading a lot of threads/ posts for the less techie amongst us;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

My main problem with the sensation is the locked bootloader, having a locked android phone is not quite pointless as its a very nice phone but it defeats the purpose of going with android imo.

Saying it defeats the purpose of going with Android is an exaggeration. The vast majority of users won't root or even know that they can.
    That kind of implies that non rooted Android < IOS. I don't think many posters on this forum will aggee with that :D

I've had a few Androids. The only one I ever needed to root was a Galaxy S and that was because the Samsung install was so buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

I just don't have either, just a Desire.

I'd prefer a combination of these two phones being honest.

If I had to pick one of these today I'd probably go for the SGSII just for a change really.

SGSII Screen looks far superior too and bootloader is unlocked.

Will probably wait until near xmas see if anything new comes out, don't think the Evo 3D will be for me either so hopefully there's more options than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Nice video about the S2 rear plastic cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXqnQKs-tA.

For me its all about the screen, that's what I do the most with my phone....look at the screen.

I also always use a case for my phones so I don't really notice the body.

• Advertisement

Why is the Bootloader so important, and why are people changing it?

I'll probably be downloading only a handful of apps so does it even matter?

For most people no, is it important yes imo its one of the main advantages of having an android device.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

I'm really stuck on this too. I can get a Galaxy S 2 in the morning but I think I really want a Sensation, which I can't get that easy! The problem is I haven't used either. I used to dislike all samsung mobiles. And I have already owned 2 HTC android handsets.
    Fook it, does anyone with access to new Sensation wanna swap for a SGS2? :)

SG2 gets two thirds of the vote, a clear winner!
    Thanks to all who voted;)

So along with the results of this poll and all the reviews comparing the 2 phones, 3 are charging €99 on 24m contract for HTC sensation.

End result - I bought the Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday.

First impressions, snazzy slim phone which doesn't feel that much bigger than others e.g. iphone 4 or HTC desire. But I don't find it as user friendly as the iphone 4 which my wife got a month ago. That was my first time use of a smartphone and it was so intuitive. The S2 is taking a bit more effort.

So now to accessories:
    What's the best case? I see Otterbox don't do the defender case for the S2. Any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Case Mate - Barely There.

Excellent case for the SG2, doesn't bulk up the profile of the phone at all. They stock them in Three stores for €19.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

just do it wrote: »
    SG2 gets two thirds of the vote, a clear winner!
    Thanks to all who voted;)

Hardly a clear winner when for the duration of the poll the SGS2 was available on all carriers and the HTC Sensation only on Voda, if anything the HTC outperformed expectations in the poll! It's also the better phone having got both in the household now.

Advertisement