Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

djPSB wrote: »
    First round of club hurling championships this weekend. Not much talk about the games, intercounty games seem to getting all the spotlight.

Is the club game dieing a slow death?

Very early in the year yet. Given the nature of the group format everyone will still have something to play for in August/September when it resumes (even if they lose both April matches), so it's hard to get too excited till then

Mellows/Craughwell looks the tie of the round, however - C'well took a bad beating off Thomas's at the weekend and lost to K'Daly the week before, while Mellows are flying in the league, but I'd expect a point or two in it either way. Cappy could well upset Gort too

In other news Paddy Power have TAD 1/5 against Athenry, is there something I'm missing? TAD are very ordinary, while Athenry have plenty of young guns who could come good at anytime.

Sarsfields 7/4 is serious value against Portumna aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    Very early in the year yet. Given the nature of the group format everyone will still have something to play for in August/September when it resumes (even if they lose both April matches), so it's hard to get too excited till then

Mellows/Craughwell looks the tie of the round, however - C'well took a bad beating off Thomas's at the weekend and lost to K'Daly the week before, while Mellows are flying in the league, but I'd expect a point or two in it either way. Cappy could well upset Gort too

In other news Paddy Power have TAD 1/5 against Athenry, is there something I'm missing? TAD are very ordinary, while Athenry have plenty of young guns who could come good at anytime.

Sarsfields 7/4 is serious value against Portumna aswell

And yet C'well are slight favourites with PPs - go figure. Bit dismissive of Mellows who were scarcely fluke champs last year. I'm every year saying Turlough' could do something; could have last year if they didn't FUBAR with player reg. once again. James Horan is no longer there, but maybe this year the undoubted amount of talent they have might get them to the serious end of the c'ship. Going on last year's form, Cappy' also look a good dark horse; nice blend of good young players and a sprinkling of experience through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

If he’s working in Dublin, how could he train twice a week with Galway. Unless they trained Saturday and Sunday, which is counterproductive without any rest period.
    Finish work at say 5.30. In Galway for training at 8. Finish at 10. Tog in, eat etc. Drive back to Dublin for 12.30. Bed for 1. Twice a week, for several months. Give the man a break. To thrive in football, you have to like it. 2 weeks of that kind of routine, and he’d be well sick of it.
    It’s a bit different for students, that are based in other counties. Bit more flexibility.

I've lived with lads in Dublin who regularly travelled to Clare, Galway, Kilkenny for club - on a Wednesday and then at weekend. Now I've no idea what Burke's job is or his schedule but i think at this level, a minimum of 2 nights is required (for April in run up to Mayo). Let's say he joins panel this evening and is doing 1 evening a week, he will have trained 5 or 6 times with his teammates before the Mayo game. I certainly don't think that is sufficient preparation at this level. In saying all that, a players professional career should always come before his football one and compromises should be made (for example on days they might be doing non physical training, can they allow him to join via VC etc. )

MfMan wrote: »
    And yet C'well are slight favourites with PPs - go figure. Bit dismissive of Mellows who were scarcely fluke champs last year. I'm every year saying Turlough' could do something; could have last year if they didn't FUBAR with player reg. once again. James Horan is no longer there, but maybe this year the undoubted amount of talent they have might get them to the serious end of the c'ship. Going on last year's form, Cappy' also look a good dark horse; nice blend of good young players and a sprinkling of experience through it.

Turlough relegated to senior B so probably a couple of years off challenging yet. Didnt even field a team in last league game and soundly beaten by thomas. But do have a serious side on paper. Most of paddy power's odds seem a joke indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭MattressRick

If he’s working in Dublin, how could he train twice a week with Galway. Unless they trained Saturday and Sunday, which is counterproductive without any rest period.
    Finish work at say 5.30. In Galway for training at 8. Finish at 10. Tog in, eat etc. Drive back to Dublin for 12.30. Bed for 1. Twice a week, for several months. Give the man a break. To thrive in football, you have to like it. 2 weeks of that kind of routine, and he’d be well sick of it.
    It’s a bit different for students, that are based in other counties. Bit more flexibility.

True. Hopefully he is involved with the Galway panel anyway. Even if he trained once a week with the team, he'll 100% be involved against mayo but most likely as a sub.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Turlough relegated to senior B so probably a couple of years off challenging yet. Didnt even field a team in last league game and soundly beaten by thomas. But do have a serious side on paper. Most of paddy power's odds seem a joke indeed

Turlough' had actually qualified quite well for the latter stages of the c'ship until the 'illegal' thing blew up again. Probably got relegated in a fit of pique / annoyance. Hope they don't waste their talent, many's a club would love to have some of the players they have.

Turlough' had actually qualified quite well for the latter stages of the c'ship until the 'illegal' thing blew up again.

They had but they were very hit and miss. Was at their Gort loss and the Portumna game and they were brutal in the former and it was the Daithi Burke show in the latter. They were hockeyed by Sarsfields

They'll come good again some year but I doubt they're consistent enough to win it out. Serious lack of a marquee forward

Interesting weekend's action although with only 2 rounds played in April (and probably nothing then till August/September) it's very hard to get too excited yet

No major shocks, Kilnadeema seemed to give Thomas's plenty of it and I was surprised to see Ballinderreen being so competitive against Turlough. Mellows and Craughwell continued their respective league form, with Mellows winning handy enough. Craughwell only scored a paltry 11 points. Too much reliance on old stagers now, and it looks like they've missed the boat (they should have won at least 1 championship in the last 3 years).

I wasn't at all surprised to see Sarsfields beat Portumna, who will still put up a big result every now and then but any consistency is well gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The first ever club football team of the year has been named after being selected by media. Kieran Fitzgerald, at 37 years of age is named as full back, seventeen years after he lifted Sam and won an All Star.

Five other Corofin lads make the team, Liam Silke, Dylan Wall, Michael and Martin Farragher and Ian Burke.

Nominees for Club footballer of the year are Silke, Michael Farragher & Ian Burke.

http://www.offtheball.com/GAA/clubplayers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

All Ireland winner Johnny Glynn confirmed home for the championship. Massive boost to our bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

True. Hopefully he is involved with the Galway panel anyway. Even if he trained once a week with the team, he'll 100% be involved against mayo but most likely as a sub.

This shows the disadvantage of Corofin's continued success though, that even allowing for Burke's difficulties with work etc, it's hard for Corofin players to come in now and try to cement a place in a team that has been doing so well.

Players who have played no league football versus those that have finished top of Division 1. As good as he is, even with full commitment Burke would have a job to get his place back now, with players like Sean Kelly, Eamonn Brannigan and Barry McHugh having laid down serious markers already. I'd still like Burke to be involved though as he is one of our most naturally gifted forwards.
    All Ireland winner Johnny Glynn confirmed home for the championship. Massive boost to our bench.

It's only a boost for the Championship if he is staying home, flying back and over last year didn't really work and he made no great impact in either the semi final or final (he was anonymous in the final). If he is available all Summer that would be a boost for sure.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    This shows the disadvantage of Corofin's continued success though, that even allowing for Burke's difficulties with work etc, it's hard for Corofin players to come in now and try to cement a place in a team that has been doing so well.

Players who have played no league football versus those that have finished top of Division 1. As good as he is, even with full commitment Burke would have a job to get his place back now, with players like Sean Kelly, Eamonn Brannigan and Barry McHugh having laid down serious markers already. I'd still like Burke to be involved though as he is one of our most naturally gifted forwards.

It's only a boost for the Championship if he is staying home, flying back and over last year didn't really work and he made no great impact in either the semi final or final (he was anonymous in the final). If he is available all Summer that would be a boost for sure.

Although it would probably involve a bit of team reconfiguration, I'd have Ian Burke there; he is more experienced than Sean Kelly and more of a scoring threat from play than McHugh or Brannigan, though a different type player than the latter anyway. I'd also try to find room for Mike Farragher; he hasn't yet shone in the maroon jersey but I think he's playing well enough currently to be included. He didn't stand out when tried at no. 6 last year, but is maybe worth another look there, now that there's a more solid FB line in place.

I'm not always Glynn's greatest fan, he's a very limited hurler skillwise IMHO. He mayn't have stood out in either game last year also, but he did make an impact I think. He worried the Tipp defence with his physicality, laid on a good goal chance for JC and with a bit more composure would have had a point too. His contribution from play was negligible in the final but his presence alone occupied the Deise defence a bit, freeing up a bit more room for the other forwards. It ultimately allowed us to bring on two fresh effective forwards as subs rather than just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

It ultimately allowed us to bring on two fresh effective forwards as subs rather than just one.

This is an excellent point and one that seems to escape alot of observers, as in any guy that doesnt weaken the 15, even if he doesnt neccessarily streghten it is a massive addition to the panel and you will no longer win an AI without at least 20 players who can hold their own.

Although it would probably involve a bit of team reconfiguration, I'd have Ian Burke there; he is more experienced than Sean Kelly and more of a scoring threat from play than McHugh or Brannigan, though a different type player than the latter anyway.

I'd like to have him there too, I was just saying that it's difficult for a player coming back in having missed the whole league. Not impossibly difficult by any means, but it does mean you have some catching up to do and that other lads have been staking their claim in your absence.

Of the players mentioned, the only one Burke would really be in direct competition with is probably McHugh. Brannigan and Kelly are different types of player. For me Brannigan was a standout performer in the league and has to start as things stand.

For all that he did well, Kelly could be vulnerable once Daly comes back. McHugh is a tricky one as strictly speaking Ian Burke is a better forward but McHugh did well in the league and his freetaking is a huge asset. We don't really have any other totally reliable freetakers, Walshe is a bit hit and miss and Armstrong may not start. I'm not sure we can afford to leave McHugh out as there will be plenty of frees in the Mayo game and we know he will nail most of them.

I'd like to have him there too, I was just saying that it's difficult for a player coming back in having missed the whole league. Not impossibly difficult by any means, but it does mean you have some catching up to do and that other lads have been staking their claim in your absence.

Of the players mentioned, the only one Burke would really be in direct competition with is probably McHugh. Brannigan and Kelly are different types of player. For me Brannigan was a standout performer in the league and has to start as things stand.

For all that he did well, Kelly could be vulnerable once Daly comes back. McHugh is a tricky one as strictly speaking Ian Burke is a better forward but McHugh did well in the league and his freetaking is a huge asset. We don't really have any other totally reliable freetakers, Walshe is a bit hit and miss and Armstrong may not start. I'm not sure we can afford to leave McHugh out as there will be plenty of frees in the Mayo game and we know he will nail most of them.

If everybody was fit, my forward line would be: Heaney, Daly, Brannigan, Walsh, Comer, McHugh.

It's harsh on Burke who probably would have played himself into the team if he was there during the league. Himself and Armstrong are 2 quality forwards to bring on.....

McHugh is offering more from play this year and brings his frees. If you don't start him, free taking becomes an issue (although Walsh is decent).

Sean Kelly started every league match at wing back (despite wearing 10). If he is to start, it'll be at 5 or 7. I think 2 of O'Donnell, Kelly & Sweeney will fill those positions. Bradshaw has nailed down 6. Full back line will be kyne, o'ceallaigh, Kerin. Midfield will be Conroy and probably Cooke (but Duggan did well in league to earn start in league final).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Worthwent14

Does anybody know where I could get my hands on a DVD of the 1998 football final? Have searched online but no luck. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Rumours brannigan took a bad knock to his ankle in a league match with Michaels yesterday . Hopefully not too bad but person I was talking to seemed to think he be doubt for mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

spurshero wrote: »
    Rumours brannigan took a bad knock to his ankle in a league match with Michaels yesterday . Hopefully not too bad but person I was talking to seemed to think he be doubt for mayo

yeah, I was at the match. He was carried off midway through the first half. It didn't look good tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

fearruanua wrote: »
    yeah, I was at the match. He was carried off midway through the first half. It didn't look good tbh.

Not good . Being excellent this year . Hopefully not as bad as feared

spurshero wrote: »
    Not good . Being excellent this year . Hopefully not as bad as feared

Hes been fantastic. Would be a massive loss.

• Advertisement

The only saving grace would be M.Daly should be back fit by then and they are similar players.

Granted it hurts the overall depth though.

He was a key player throughout the league and would be a big loss, even if Daly is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The only saving grace would be M.Daly should be back fit by then and they are similar players.

Granted it hurts the overall depth though.
    M Daly doesn't have speed,movement and scoring power of Brannigan. He's a big loss if out as i don't see many like for like replacements for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

M Daly doesn't have speed,movement and scoring power of Brannigan. He's a big loss if out as i don't see many like for like replacements for him.

Speed yes but Daly does have the ability to kick points. Probably better than Brannigan at kicking scores to be honest but a very different player. Doesn't have Brannigan's pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not confirmed but rumours that Lundy and the Farraghers have not joined the Galway panel. Just 4 Corofin players involved.

Who are the 4? I know Bernard Power will be one, Liam Silke will obviously not be. Ian Burke??

Who are the 4? I know Bernard Power will be one, Liam Silke will obviously not be. Ian Burke??

Molloy, Steede, Power. I guess Burke is the 4th

Lundy has been going downhill and probably isn't a huge loss at this stage. The Farraghers on recent form could have been a good addition to the panel though.

Lundy has been going downhill and probably isn't a huge loss at this stage. The Farraghers on recent form could have been a good addition to the panel though.

Not sure Martin Farragher is that standard. Had a great club final but he's been very average most times I've seen him for Corofin. I agree Lundy has gone downhill but I'd still have him in there. I suspect no Corofin player will start v Mayo. I wonder has that happened with AI club champions before. I'd imagine it's rare?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is it true the Ian Burke situation is "see how it goes" in terms of commute? That doesn't sound too promising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement