Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Aoifums wrote: »
    I'm joining the list of bad days too. Better than yesterday but almost anything would be better than yesterday.

What made your days not good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Having an ok day, I managed to keep myself busy which I think helped, nothing good / exciting happened but I figured well nothing bad happened either- glass half full sort of perspective. That said I not looking forward to Sunday I've been off work all week but am due to head back in on Sunday so feeling kinda "meh".

Not sure why I'm sharing it but I was doing a food shop earlier and bought myself a bottle of wine, I figured I'd treat myself, since last summer I've been careful not to drink because it doesn't mix with depression but I just felt f*&k it, I've been feeling okish the last while and it'd be nice to a glass or two, just hoping it doesn't go pear shaped!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

I'll join you all on this list of having a bad day.

Had councelling this morning, first time i've ever been. He's switched me to Fluoxetine to help with my OCD aswel, so we'll see whaat happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

cloud493 wrote: »
    What made your days not good?

No idea what made them bad but counselling made it so much worse. I'm switching counsellor, for sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Is there any way for somebody still at school to get counselling without their parents finding out?

• Advertisement

No idea what made them bad but counselling made it so much worse. I'm switching counsellor, for sure!!

Part of counselling is bringing up things which may have caused depression and dealing with them, unfortunately that can make things harder in the short term. Hope it wasn't too bad. (In fairness that's partly why I am putting off going to counselling myself).
    I find the AWARE meetings good, it's a chance to get things out without the same level of "probing" you get from a counsellor, similar to here you get to talk to people who know what you are going through as they are in a similar boat.

I'm just going to throw out an idea that cropped up a while ago, but I know a lot of forums have a "beers", I wondered how people would find the idea of having a "depressed beers / coffee's"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 belhaven fan

thrilledskinny;

Hi ;-) sorry to hear your story, sounds like your having bad time of it. Hope you work out something with your doc and your meds.

I was delighted to read your post though and realise i'm not the only one! Like you say you have to work your self up to go to the doctors never mind then to make it to the chemist. Do doctors realise how hard it is for people with anxiety/depression to fit in to the system, of ringing up m aking appointments, meeting appointments, getting renewed presciptions, etc etc, you would think it could be made easier.
    Also I thought it was just me re my depression lessing but anxiety levels sky rocketting. I kinda blamed the meds, but when I'd mention this to a doc they would just stare blankly back, as though this was not the meds and it was just me.
    Why dont they say yes other poeple find their anxiety levels increase, ohter people find it hard to come in to us. Just to know your not alone and not imagining it.

Hope you get to sort things out soon.
    I find my whole life is slipping away at times...[/QUOTE]

hey thrilledskinny, sorry im late back. The 3g dongle thing has been acting weird for a day or 2. Thanks a million for getting back. It seems horrible to say this, but it is comforting to know that there are people out there going through similar things. I have always found it a kind of catch 22 situation with the meds. you need to be normal to get the meds but if you are normal then you dont need the meds.
    As for feeling like your life is slipping away, I am the same. i cant believe its 2012. I get depressed when i think about it. Days fade into one another

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Hey,
    I'm looking at a tough decision about my mother at the moment, the doctor is talking about admitting her to hospital for depression.
    If anyone has been through this or gone through it with someone maybe they could pm me and give me a little bit of info, nothing personal really just a couple of questions about the process and hospital!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 belhaven fan

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Is there any way for somebody still at school to get counselling without their parents finding out?

Hi ItsAWindUp. By school, do you mean secondary?
    From My counselling sessions I learned that whatever you say is private unless you mean to harm someone else and then the counsellor will warn the intended victim, I think icon11.gif.
    If you or your family have a medical card then go to your gp and explain how you are feeling and then can refer you to an out patient clinic.
    If you are in college, I know the big colleges have counsellors/ people to talk to about mental health issues. i am not too sure about smaller I.T s.

But whichever situation you are in, go to your gp and talk to them and explain your worries about your parents finding out and then tell the gp about your troubles

Gillo wrote: »
    Part of counselling is bringing up things which may have caused depression and dealing with them, unfortunately that can make things harder in the short term. Hope it wasn't too bad. (In fairness that's partly why I am putting off going to counselling myself).
    I find the AWARE meetings good, it's a chance to get things out without the same level of "probing" you get from a counsellor, similar to here you get to talk to people who know what you are going through as they are in a similar boat.

I'm just going to throw out an idea that cropped up a while ago, but I know a lot of forums have a "beers", I wondered how people would find the idea of having a "depressed beers / coffee's"?

It wasn't what we discussed that made me so upset. It was a couple of offhand comments that really upset me. I'm fairly sure that they weren't intended but "difficult", "challenging" and something to do with how hard it was to find the route cause of my anxiety all led to not so nice though pattern of 'I'm difficult', 'I'm challenging' and 'he can't find it so I'm f*cked'. It kinda just spiralled from there :( Sorry for ranting >_<
    I've looked at their info before but I don't really think they're aimed at me. Anxiety is my main problem and Aware seem to just be for depression. I don't think I'm that depressed like.

The coffee thing sounds like a pretty cool idea :)

• Advertisement

If you can scrape together the money for a visit to your GP, she/he can put you on a waiting list for counselling, and the HSE service is free. As far as I know, unless you're suicidal, they can't tell your parents/next of kin. That's what my counsellor told me. There are private places that can work for a reduced fee but I know I couldn't have afforded them when I was in school.
    Pieta House do counselling and they are free. I forgot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brayguy

hi guys, only recently found this thread...wish I'd come across it sooner but...!! so i've suffered from depression for a lloooonnngggg time, have been on medication for..too long, but luckily i've had some pretty good sustained periods when i can just drag myself through the days, in the last year this has become increasingly difficult, have been suicidal on two occasions in the last year and have missed a sh1t load of time from work....i'm now the subject of a complaint from my manager, not over the time i've been missing, but the fact that i didn't/havn't submitted doctor's certs on a weekly basis,which is in breach of the company's sick leave policy. I decided to leave my doctor (who has been my doc since the day i was born) after a consultation in December in which she spoke down to me.made me sound like a nuisance who was just wasting her time.&basically made me feel worse than i felt before i went in for the consultation. so i don't currently have a doc,and have missed some further time from work this month...so don't have sick certs...so my manager made a complaint to hr that i'm in breach of sick leave policy&i got a letter saying disciplinary proceedings would now commence...i'm getting the feeling that they just want rid of me at this stage&this is an easy way to do it...anyone got any advice/opinions?i'd be interested to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't want to sleep, mood has improved a bit and it's so much nicer than today's crap even if I'm still feeling somewhat low. Tomorrow's going to be stressful. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Where's everbody from? I hail from Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Is there a guidance counsellor/chaplain at your school? Some of the teachers who do career guidance will have done a masters which includes counselling training. Maybe try and find out if the one at your school does that. Or as Aoifums says, make an appointment to see your GP about it and they will refer you to the HSE counsellors. The only problem with this is that the waiting lists can be extremely long, but it depends on where you are (one of my friends got an appointment to see someone after a month on the list, but I have seen people post here about it being much longer than that for them).
    Temaz wrote: »

I'm from Sligo, but have been living in Maynooth for the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Liverpool :3 but I'm in dublin right now.

stacexD wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm looking at a tough decision about my mother at the moment, the doctor is talking about admitting her to hospital for depression.
    If anyone has been through this or gone through it with someone maybe they could pm me and give me a little bit of info, nothing personal really just a couple of questions about the process and hospital!
    Thanks!
    From my experience going in it'll bloody scarey, that said it was probably the best thing I ever did. The level of care was amazing and mixing with other patients who actually were going through the same thing, well they get you, understand you and don't judge. Probably the best example I can give, before I was admitted I tried to commit suicide, well everyone kept saing to me afterwards, "what about your daughter, she'd be heart broken", I knew they meant well but they weren't looking at it from my side of things. I was talking to one of the other patients one day, it came up and I said, everyone kept saying this but what the f&€k about me, no one seems to get it; and she was the first person to know where I was coming from. Ok, it may sound selfish but when you are that low that's how you see things.

I'm not sure how good an example that is but yeah, I found a stay in hospital did me the world of good, just remember from your mothers point of view she may not want it so go easy in her, she may also not want many visitors so even though people may mean well perhaps ask them not to visit but maybe send a card instead.

If there's anything specific you want to know feel free to pm me.

I'm in Dublin, someone was asking.

Does anyone else get strange surreal dreams after taking night time meds?

Some crazy **** in my dreams!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah it can happen on some drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

I appreciate your curiosity but as Ireland is SO small I wont be saying where I'm from as well if anything about me got out id be the talk of the town.

God i feel like a fat piece of sh*t , so useless motionless unmotivated . self loathing , manipulative c*nt.
    No wonder everyone hates me

• Advertisement

it happens a lot, for a while I used to write down all the dream's, it's interesting after a while I could start to make sense of even the really strange one, personally it's one of the few things I like about the medication.

Not looking to Valentines day, stupid reason to remind me I'm all alone:(

Coming down with a kidney infection :(

This will be hell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishbipolar

stacexD wrote: »
    Hey,
    Thanks!

Hi stacexD,

Bipolar is a form of depression so I hope you don't mind....

I have been in hospital a few times. TBH I found some of the stays tough but that was because I very ill. I use to be very elated going in and it would take me a few weeks to come down. During this time it was surreal. I found it hard to make sense of what was going on but that was my experience.

In saying that, despite my experiences, I now recognise how important it is to go into hospital. One of the main priorities is getting your medications right. In some ways it's good to be in hospital during this process and ensures when you get home you have a stable platform of which to work. In addition you probably have a consultation with your doctor very soon afterwards - that way you can 'test' the meds at home & your doctor can adjust them if necessary.

The main hospital I was in there were classes, lectures and group therapy. All useful. After a while you make friends with the different patients and you form a bond. You talk about different issues and help each other out. It's like a support network. The staff - nurses, doctors, caterers & cleaners - are all friendly and are there to help. It's a win-win.

In my last admisson just before Xmas I went to a different hospital as my doctor had moved. I was in for a change of meds. I was only in for 3.5 weeks. The first 5 days I was nervous - this was due to my previous experiences - my bipolar was very bad. Anyways I shouldn't have worried, the hospital was great and I met loads of people. Went to classes etc. Overall a very good experience. I went home in good form though I made the mistake of pushing too hard so my doctor had to slightly re-adjust my meds. At the moment I am going through the best spell I have had in years. I am so glad I admitted myself.

Your Mum might find it strange at the start but hopefully she'll settle in. It could be the difference. All I can say is stay in touch with her: texts, phone calls and visits. All of these are welcome by anyone in hospital! :)

Not looking to Valentines day, stupid reason to remind me I'm all alone:(

You're not alone in hating it because of lonliness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If you can scrape together the money for a visit to your GP, she/he can put you on a waiting list for counselling, and the HSE service is free. As far as I know, unless you're suicidal, they can't tell your parents/next of kin. That's what my counsellor told me. There are private places that can work for a reduced fee but I know I couldn't have afforded them when I was in school.
    Pieta House do counselling and they are free. I forgot about them.

Age comes into it, as it is a big ethical question. I don't see the under-aged anymore as we have a young persons programme. Within my service I would need to check with our clinical director if the person was under 17.

In most cases not all, I often had to get the parents to sign a consent form in order to see the child. However, what the person spoke about with the exception of suicide or causing serious harm to another, was strictly between myself and the client.

However, as a lot of schools have counsellors now, it could indeed be possible for the person to see a counsellor there, without the parents permission.

Kaching wrote: »
    You're not alone in hating it because of lonliness

Not sure if you meant to make it, but thanks I loved the irony of your post!

I wasnt trying to offend you or anything?!

Kaching wrote: »

I wasnt trying to offend you or anything?!
    Don't worry, you didn't offend. It was just the way you said I'm not alone in feeling lonely- gave me a lite laugh.

Don't worry, you didn't offend. It was just the way you said I'm not alone in feeling lonely- gave me a lite laugh.

Apart from Xmas and NYE it's the most lonely day of the year

• Advertisement

It can be yeah. There's a club night on once a month that I usually go to, it's called Funky Seomra, but it's a Valentines Special this month, not sure I want to go now.
    Usually a great night though an amazing crowd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement