Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its actually footage from the famous Mayo v Monaghan challenge game were they knocked seven colors of s**t out of each other.

Or was that 2013 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Its actually footage from the famous Mayo v Monaghan challenge game were they knocked seven colors of s**t out of each other.

Or was that 2013 ?

No, it's definetly a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Black card for Seamus O Shea was deserved as he clearly deliberately tripped the Monaghan player.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Black card for Seamus O Shea was deserved as he clearly deliberately tripped the Monaghan player.

Look at the footage, SOS collided with his back. Was a crazy black.

yop wrote: »
    Look at the footage, SOS collided with his back. Was a crazy black.
    I did look at the footage and I suggest you should too. He clearly kicks out and trips the Monaghan player. He did run into his back also but the black card was correctly awarded for a deliberate trip.
    The only problem I have with the black card is inconsistency. If applied correctly there would have been 4 or 5 given out in every game shown on Sunday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I did look at the footage and I suggest you should too. He clearly kicks out and trips the Monaghan player. He did run into his back also but the black card was correctly awarded for a deliberate trip.
    The only problem I have with the black card is inconsistency. If applied correctly there would have been 4 or 5 given out in every game shown on Sunday evening.

I was sitting about 15 yards from it and saw it Sunday night and on TnaG, plenty of people were bewildered about, a push in the back now warrants a black while AOS was dragged down on 2 occassions but none deserved a black. Farcial stuff.

yop wrote: »
    I was sitting about 15 yards from it and saw it Sunday night and on TnaG, plenty of people were bewildered about, a push in the back now warrants a black while AOS was dragged down on 2 occassions but none deserved a black. Farcial stuff.
    A push in the back does not warrant a black but a deliberate trip does and that is what it was given for.
    Dragging down a player does deserve a black and if that is what happened they should have been given.
    I am only commenting on the incident that I saw and I looked at it a few times without bias.
    You can blame ref all you want for things he got wrong but that was NOT one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I much prefer a ref who is willing to deal out black cards. It is usually marginal if a black card is in the wrong. The worse case for Mayo is a ref who is slow with the black card.
    We have to accept now n then there will be marginal cases n we have to back the refs judgement.
    God help us if the black card was scrapped what level of fouling would now be in the game?
    The ref sees these incidents in real time with many moving players. Tis very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I was at the Bacon factory end of the stand,missed that.Easy one to miss with the play moving so quickly,subtle trip.Good spot by the referee,highlights the onerous task that referees have in the modern game.Fair black card having watched the TG4 highlights.Having said that I thought Rory Hickey had a very poor day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

No U21s for Derry game as Coen d o Connor Durcan hall all released to prepare for leitrim u21 championship game next Wednesday 11th a win their and it's a game against Galway the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

No U21s for Derry game as Coen d o Connor Durcan hall all released to prepare for leitrim u21 championship game next Wednesday 11th a win their and it's a game against Galway the following week.

Coen, O'Connor and Durcan all played well last week but it's a chance for some other players to come in and stake their claim for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Team for Derry match
    1.) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    2.) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3.) Kevin Keane - Westport
    4.) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)
    5.) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6.) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    7.) Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8.) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    9.) Danny Kirby - Castlebar Mitchels
    10.) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11.) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    12.) Micheál Forde - Ballycastle
    13.) Mark Ronaldson - Shrule/Glencorrib
    14.) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    15.) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A championship look to that Mayo line up, I seen Derry against Donegal and Tyrone its a game Mayo should be winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Has Michael Forde played senior before for Mayo outside of the FBD league? I remember him being named on the subs before but can't recall seeing him out on the field. Good to see the experimentation is still continuing.

Very defensive set up, we won't be seeing many big runs from the half back line. Defense cost us in the league semi final last year, we've been economical this year so far. We should be winning this one.

glack wrote: »
    Team for Derry match
    1.) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    2.) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3.) Kevin Keane - Westport
    4.) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)
    5.) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6.) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    7.) Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8.) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    9.) Danny Kirby - Castlebar Mitchels
    10.) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11.) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    12.) Micheál Forde - Ballycastle
    13.) Mark Ronaldson - Shrule/Glencorrib
    14.) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    15.) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

Is Clarke injured or are they just giving O'Malley a chance? I wouldn't begrudge him a start.

A chance to see Cafferkey at 6. He could be an option there as a stopper, let him hold that position when Boyle and Keegan go forward.

Great opportunity for Kirby. AOS will more than likely move into 14 with Doherty moving out to half forward. Maybe Kirby and AOS will switch a couple of times to mix things up, we will have to see.

Also looking forward to seeing how Forde gets on.

All in all that's a very solid line up and you'd have to expect our division one status to be secured Sunday evening.

No mention of an injury to Clarke - from Mayo GAA website
    "Mayo travel to Celtic Park to take on Derry in Round 4 of the Allianz Football League Division 1 this Sunday. The Management team will be without a number of players who are unavailable due to the upcoming Connacht GAA U-21 Football Championship. In total the management team have made 5 changes to the side which defeated Monaghan last Sunday at Elverys MacHale Park. Kenneth O'Malley replaces Robbie Hennelly in Goals. In defence Ger Cafferkey replaces Stephen Coen and Colm Boyle replaces Patrick Durcan who are both released to the U-21 squad. In midfield Danny Kirby will replace Donal Vaughan who picked up a slight ankle injury last Sunday while upfront Micheál Forde comes in for Diarmuid O'Connor who has also been released to the U-21 squad."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Been very impressed with Kevin Keane so far. Adds more steel than Cafferkey which was needed.

glack wrote: »
    No mention of an injury to Clarke - from Mayo GAA
    Mind you it does say O'Malley is replacing Hennelly in goals rather that Clarke!

Well Hennelly did start the last game so O'Malley is replacing him but I thought that if they were rotating keepers then they'd give Clarke another run out as he is more than likely second to Hennelly.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Well Hennelly did start the last game so O'Malley is replacing him but I thought that if they were rotating keepers then they'd give Clarke another run out as he is more than likely second to Hennelly.

Whoops my bad....its clearly been a long day! You'd swear I wasn't at the match on Sunday!!!

I know most of the changes are forced but still good to see new faces getting their first league start. Caff at 6 could work really well.

Not too sure about Ger Caff at centre back myself!?:)Shall be interesting to see how he fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Any ideas when the club league fixtures are out? Ridiculous that they aren't out yet. How are guys supposed to plan anything for the coming months?

Anyone know any bus going to Derry? If someone wants to do a petrol split please pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Anyone know any bus going to Derry? If someone wants to do a petrol split please pm.

There are some going from Mayo. There were a good few Mayo supporters based in Dublin also looking to organise a bus but it was a little too late (on about organising one for Cork match)

We've some details here; http://mayoclub51.com/derry-here-we-come/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

There's a bus going from Westport if that's handy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is Vaughan injured or on the bench?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is Vaughan injured or on the bench?

He was taken off against Monaghan with a knock so he will be probably sit it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

seligehgit wrote: »
    Not too sure about Ger Caff at centre back myself!?:)Shall be interesting to see how he fares.

I am with you on that...At least he is not the go-forward kind like Keegan/Boyler/Vaughan...I feel he is more of a "mind the house kinda fella".

May have the advantage of slipping towards the third midfielder or dropping back to the D to help the full back line. My main fear about him is that he doesn't have the pace. Normally you have a lot less running to do at FB than HB.
    None the less I hope it works for him...and mayo, particularly if Donal is going to continue in the MF role.
    The other thing I think with Caff is that he is just too nice for the backs. I don't think he has the mean streak that you sometimes see in Boyler, Barrett or zippy. The rest of the backs usually do a John Mullane "come on ta f**k" roar every so often particularly Boyle....never from Caff.

Ascii wrote: »
    I am with you on that...At least he is not the go-forward kind like Keegan/Boyler/Vaughan...I feel he is more of a "mind the house kinda fella".

May have the advantage of slipping towards the third midfielder or dropping back to the D to help the full back line. My main fear about him is that he doesn't have the pace. Normally you have a lot less running to do at FB than HB.
    None the less I hope it works for him...and mayo, particularly if Donal is going to continue in the MF role.
    The other thing I think with Caff is that he is just too nice for the backs. I don't think he has the mean streak that you sometimes see in Boyler, Barrett or zippy. The rest of the backs usually do a John Mullane "come on ta f**k" roar every so often particularly Boyle....never from Caff.

Totally agree,IMO he's a mind the house full back,not a go forward half back who'll bomb up and down the pitch all day.He's a tad too nice,lacking in aggression and ruthlessness.He suits a certain type of full forward but his physique can tell against him on Donaghy like players.Kevin Keane has ensured he'll have to fight for his place.

Caff at 6 I am not sure about, correct me on this but I can't remember him having a lot of pace so you need a legs to be able to track breaks through the middle, not that Vaughan was blessed with pace, but just wondering if this is a case of trying to accomadate Caff?
    Good to see Forde there, big lad, looked like a frightened chicken last Sunday but thats what its about introducing lads, have to blood them somewhere.
    Seems to be a good few going up, I'm heading up late myself, so my poor Dad will have to enjoy a quick spin! :D

• Advertisement

Forde might eventually be a centre back option. He played half back at u21 level. Game time is the only way to take the nerves out of lads. Also to get them to lose the club football mentality where they can take the ball into contact and get away with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement