Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOOGLE CHROMECAST

• 22-02-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello i got Comcast to connect my pc to TV Chromcast will not recognise my WiFi so i got a TP - LINK TL-WR720N router only to find it has no usb in port for my internet dongle so i am looking for a router that will work with a 3 dongle thanks Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A few things you need to watch out for with Chromecast ... firstly it only works on 2.4GHz networks, i.e. NOT 5GHz, and secondly it won't work with 2.4GHz channels above 11 (US standard). Also, when you first set it up it sets up an ad-hoc network with whatever Android device you're using to set it up with, so that also must be set up to be able to connect at 2.4GHz if that's an option. You should be OK with whatever old router you were using, as long as the signal where the Chromecast is is strong enough, and your router isn't on a WiFi channel above 11. Having said that, if the signal is a bit weak, then sticking a small device like a Chromecast behind a relatively noisy (RF interference wise) device like a flat screen TV isn't going to help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dave4565

Thanks i will try again

Hi n again thanks for your help. So i have managed to get as far as connected to network. But then it asks for a password and network name it stops at this point. Are there any special properties for the wifi network

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You need to enter the same password that is set up on your router for wireless clients to attach to. The same one as if you were connecting a phone or a laptop for example.

Hi n again thanks for your help. So i have managed to get as far as connecting to network. But then it asks for a password and network name it stops at this point. Are there any special properties for the wifi network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

dave4565 wrote: »
    Hi n again thanks for your help. So i have managed to get as far as connecting to network. But then it asks for a password and network name it stops at this point. Are there any special properties for the wifi network

These details will be on the back of your modem.

Why don't you read the manual
    https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998456?hl=en

I have thank you for your suggestion

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I had a nightmare with one of these one one evening recently.

Got it hooked up, but I could cast anything to it. Tried all sorts. Went to bed in a huff.

Next evening it decided to work. I could only conclude that the firmware version out of the box was duff and that whilst idling or doing a full reset, it decided to phone home and update itself.

So all I can suggest is check the firmware number on the telly screen when it comes up and check it to see if it's current or not.

Thanks i have had no luck so far i will try your suggestion hope it works this time Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Foxtrot Tango

Also looking for help with chrome cast. After setting it up ( which seemed to go ok ) I just couldn't get it to work , none of our devices (iPad, IPhone etc ) could find the wifi network that chrome cast was on. Got fed up messing around with it so just left it. Next day it was working fine ! Today it's not working again . I've been all over the net trying to find solutions but nothing that seems to fit. I've got UPC with a technicolour modem model TC 7200.
    Recently we been having some variable wifi performance and I'm wondering could this be the reason. We got Horizon tv a couple of months ago but kept using the old modem instead of the built in one in the horizon box ( seemed like a good decision based on what I have read on the net about the horizon box ) but I'm wondering if maybe this is also having an impact.
    Thanks for any advice !

• Advertisement
Advertisement