Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setting a router as an access point......help!

• 11-02-2015 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm currently on Threes' NBS and have a Huawei B260a. Due to the fact I'm living in a really old house with thick granite walls, the wifi signal is terrible. I have to use old ethernet only powerline plugs to get a connection downstairs.

I was given an old Belkin F5D9230-4 router and want to set it up as a wifi access point for downstairs. The router has an option to set it as an access point but unless I set up two different SSIDs, I cannot get it to work.

I've tried what was suggested in http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/3494655/how-set-up-router-as-repeater/ but no joy. When I set the static IP on the Belkin I can no longer access its config page.

Can anyone give me a simple step-by-step howto for this, using the same SSID if possible so I don't have to reconnect each time I move to a different room. I don't use that many devices - a couple of laptops and phones so there is no problems with IP range.

Thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FanadMan wrote: »
    When I set the static IP on the Belkin I can no longer access its config page.

You need to give the device (laptop?) you're using to program it a static IP once you set its, as DHCP turns off and your laptop and it move to separate networks. Say you give the access point 192.168.1.100 and the router is 192.168.1.1 then give the device in use something like .1.101 so its in the same range.

Advertisement