Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

• 10-07-2012 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

I was born and raised in the city of Cork and I don't consider myself a culchie because I've always lived in a city.

I've been living in Dublin for a year and it seems that I am considered to be someone who came from the middle of a bog because I am not from Dublin.

I would also consider Limerick, Waterford and Galway to be cities. I think of the word ''culchie'' as applying to someone who lives in the countryside or a very small village. So, is it just Dubliners who think that all of us outside of Dublin are culchies regardless of where we're from? Let the slagging about Cork begin ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A culchie is someone who was raised and lived on a farm, away from a city IMO. Idiots think its anyone outside Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm a culchie and proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The word is used virtually exclusively by people who are from large cities.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

People who eat their dinner in the middle of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cork is not a ****ing city :/

there's one city in the republic and it's Dublin. It's also a kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 MichaelGUFC

Anyone who lives on a farm and is a bit thick,I live in rural Ireland but I'm not a culchie

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MichaelGUFC

Oh jesus,the city debate again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

One who calls the real football, 'soccer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

cork is not a ****ing city :/

there's one city in the republic and it's Dublin. It's also a kip.

Surely however, you can recognize how somebody growing up in Cork city centre has more in common with somebody from Dublin than with somebody like me who grew up in the countryside?

Surely however, you can recognize how somebody growing up in Cork city centre has more in common with somebody from Dublin than with somebody like me who grew up in the countryside?

i have no opinion on this. my opinions are strictly limited to dublin being the only city in the republic and all dubliners being arseholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Anyone that lives outside of Dublin is considered a culchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

hondasam wrote: »
    Anyone that lives outside of Dublin is considered a culchie.

And anyone from Dublin is a culchie to those of us who lived in real cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anyone who lives on a farm and is a bit thick,I live in rural Ireland but I'm not a culchie

And what would you call someone who lives in a town and is a bit thick.
    Or are all townies super intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Oh piss off with the X is not a city argument. Who gives a flying fúck? It has city in its official name then so be it, christ it doesnt matter how big it is really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dinner in the middle of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Everyone from Dublin is a jackeen and everyone not from Dublin is a culchie. Thats the rules OP, live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

One who never misses the death notices on the local radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

summerskin wrote: »

Go on then, what real cities have you lived in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Salute people you meet as you are driving or walking always. You must salute, it's the rules

You know what 10-10-20 is :cool:

You always go to mass but you never actually go into mass, you stand outside on the porch with the men
    Those inside are women and children

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Your surroundings and your way of life.

• Advertisement

I disagree. You cannot call a dub a culchie, it's an insult to us real culchies.

can't we all just agree they're **** though?

Ya ok with one exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Are you looking for geographic/regional boundaries are what?

A culchie is someone who is considered by someone not a culchie to display traits common among rural folk that are significant to Ireland. A thick accent along with a quintessential Irish attitude and deportment. It depends on the person who is using the term or designating some one as a "culchie", whether they themselves are county folk or whether they are city dwellers as to what they would classify as a "culchie" but it usually includes the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

a culchie is someone thats narrow minded, there usually someone that neaver left there, lane county or country,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

One who calls the real football, 'soccer'.

Oh, didn't realise it was the corollary of a scobie!

a culchie is someone thats narrow minded, there usually someone that neaver left there, lane county or country,

Can we say the ones that left the lane are posh culchies ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I usually hate this wee fella but anyway, here goes:

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Everyone from Dublin is a jackeen and everyone not from Dublin is a culchie. Thats the rules OP, live with it.

He speaks the truths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Chauncey wrote: »

Go on then, what real cities have you lived in?

Manchester, London, Geneva, New York, Lyon and Miami.

Advertisement