Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    The purge anarchy added to Irish Netflix today , decent film , haven't seen the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

safetyboy wrote:
    Spotless has just showed up today I think, 3 episodes in and its pretty good.

Second this , 6 episodes in and it's excellent.... also not sure if "Power" has been mentioned here before, but really enjoyed it , can't wait for the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Stranger Things is probably the best original series Netflix have done yet IMO so git 'er watched!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basq wrote: »
    Stranger Things is probably the best original series Netflix have done yet IMO so git 'er watched!

Yeah I finished it in two sittings, is it supposed to be a one off do you know?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I finished it in two sittings, is it supposed to be a one off do you know?
    Netflix haven't confirmed a second series, but Matthew Modine says there will be. I'd say a second series pickup is inevitable though.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Netflix haven't confirmed a second series, but Matthew Modine says there will be. I'd say a second series pickup is inevitable though.

I wasn't sure if they were going to continue this story or do a different story every season like an American Horror Story type situation. I'll be delighted to see more of these characters anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ I've two episodes left. Very impressed with it so far. I like the shorter season. 8 episodes are much more digestible. Feels more like a mini series. Even 13 episode seasons have too much wheel spinning.

Is Rebirth any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

^ I've two episodes left. Very impressed with it so far. I like the shorter season. 8 episodes are much more digestible. Feels more like a mini series. Even 13 episode seasons have too much wheel spinning.

Is Rebirth any good?

Rebirth - Oh dear, saw it last night, while i wont spoil it, its a mix of David Finchers "The Game" thrown in with the principles of "Fight Club" , starts of well, but really goes downhill after that, 2/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Thought rebirth was pretty poor.

Looking forward to watching Stranger Things. Is it a horror? My girlfriend refuses to watch anything scary

Looking forward to watching Stranger Things. Is it a horror? My girlfriend refuses to watch anything scary
    Not really... kind of a supernatural series but definitely not much scarier than an episode of Goosebumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Thought rebirth was pretty poor.

It's a family-friendly supernatural scary story. It's a lot like Super 8.

Netflix will be the home of the new Star Trek TV show outside the US and Canada: https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-to-beam-new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world

I would say it's a step above the likes of Goosebumps, Super 8 is a better comparison, though I found it a good bit more suspenseful and grotesque in places than the likes of that. The show channels Stephen King as much as it does Spielberg/Goonies type stuff imo. Can't speak for anyone else but my OH spent a fair bit of time hiding her eyes waiting for the bad bits to be over :D

Great news about Star trek, currently making my way through DS9 again for the first time since I watched it on RTE back in the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Not really... kind of a supernatural series but definitely not much scarier than an episode of Goosebumps.

How would be for a 10 year old? She's fine with something like the MCU or Indiana Jones... the recent X-Men level of violence is about the most I would be comfortable with her watching. Although now that I think about it, she does love the jump scares in Jaws when she's feeling brave.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I would say it's a step above the likes of Goosebumps, Super 8 is a better comparison, though I found it a good bit more suspenseful and grotesque in places than the likes of that. The show channels Stephen King as much as it does Spielberg/Goonies type stuff imo. Can't speak for anyone else but my OH spent a fair bit of time hiding her eyes waiting for the bad bits to be over :D

Great news about Star trek, currently making my way through DS9 again for the first time since I watched it on RTE back in the day :)

Ok i think i might try to convince her to watch the first episode then! But she does scare easily!

That's cool on Star Trek, probably explains they the original ST and DS9 up there now. Might re-watch DS9 myself , was one of my favourites. 7 of 9 probably had something to do with that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I watched the first two episodes with my 11 year old daughter on Friday night (probably a bit too late in the night if I'm honest which I'd say didn't help) and she found it hard to get to sleep that night and had a nightmare on Saturday night - not something she's prone to. I was going to watch all of it with her but I think I'll leave it for a bit. Probably fine for most though.

That's cool on Star Trek, probably explains they the original ST and DS9 up there now. Might re-watch DS9 myself , was one of my favourites. 7 of 9 probably had something to do with that though

Was she not in Voyager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only watched the first 2 episodes last night and I don't think I'd let my kids watch it at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Might watch a few first then. I'm not usually a repeat watcher of series so wanted to avoid that, but better being safe. And if it's borderline I'd rather she not watch it without me there as well.

Was she not in Voyager?

Jaysus you're right, Maybe i need to re-watch all of them!

Yeah I could see a ten year old being absolutely terrified by Stranger Things tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I have just watched Episode 1 of Stranger Things. I found it good so far but I would definitely recommend watching it first before deciding to let an 11 year-old watch it.

Labyrinth & x men days of future past added to irish netflix today

Just watched The Invitation last night. Some great performances, especially from the lead Logan Marshall-Green and a tense, slow burn of a film that oddly ends up feeling slightly rushed in the end which was a slight let down. Would recommend it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

caught Rebirth the other night, watchable but third act a bit of a letdown. Reminded me of the The Game with Douglas/Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Watched the first two episodes last night, oh this one has me sucked in!! :D:D

Hopefully it maintains the intrigue over the rest of the series. Its kinda standard suspense type stuff, but its done really well.

gucci wrote: »

Hopefully it maintains the intrigue over the rest of the series. Its kinda standard suspense type stuff, but its done really well.

i really enjoyed it but yet when i was describing it to a friend i made it sound terrible

There's actually already a discussion about Stranger Things happening over at the Online TV forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gucci wrote: »

Its something kind of special alright, I love the look and sound of it, its like a throwback to the goonies, mixed with something more sinister. I watched episode 3 last night and its ramping up nicely. I was afraid it might be a long slow burn but thats not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just watched The Invitation last night. Some great performances, especially from the lead Logan Marshall-Green and a tense, slow burn of a film that oddly ends up feeling slightly rushed in the end which was a slight let down. Would recommend it though.

Just heard a rave review of this on Tom Dunne, adding it to my list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The Invitation is deffo worth a watch if you like the sound of a thriller set at a dinner party with personal drama interwoven.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement