Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiotic Graffiti on Loopline rail bridge

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sorry, but the RIAI Gold medal of 1955 isn't really that much of an award. What other buildings from that era look any way decent? What other serious challengers to that title existed?

Read up on it before you embarrass yourself more.
    The area bounded by Church, Bolton(/Dorset), and O'Connell (/Frederik) Streets. Horrible. Every Street I was on was in a state, bar Henry Street.

Again, your commute to and college to and from whatever place you live doesn't encompass Dublin. As long as you describe the whole of Dublin as dirty and ugly you further cement the fact that you are judging the city by your commute.
    I expected this; The "you're young and stupid and you're not allowed to have an opinion" card.

I never said you were young and stupid, I said you were an inexperienced student that is unfamiliar with the city. You are proving me right with what you are saying in this thread, there are stunning parts of Dublin, spotless clean with world renowned architecture. You don't know about them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Read up on it before you embarrass yourself more.

I'd love to, but there doesn't seem to be anything else to read. Only things I can turn up using the keywords of "RIAI" and "1955" are about Busaras.
    Again, your commute to and college to and from whatever place you live doesn't encompass Dublin. As long as you describe the whole of Dublin as dirty and ugly you further cement the fact that you are judging the city by your commute.

None of the streets inside the boundaries I gave are in my commute, bar O'Connell, Parnell and Kings Inn Streets. Have a look at the area, it's rather large, majority of it in a dire state.

I never described all of Dublin as dirty and ugly, what I actually said was
    "there's a lot more ugly buildings than pretty ones. I'd say poor architecture, poor design, and downright ugly signage make up a far higher number than their positive counterparts."
    Far cry from "the whole of Dublin" if you ask me.
    You are proving me right with what you are saying in this thread, there are stunning parts of Dublin, spotless clean with world renowned architecture. You don't know about them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I know they exist and I have seen them well, but there are far more parts that are ugly, unaesthetic, unclean and absolutely terrible on the eyes.
    You seem to be wearing rose tinted glasses, I certainly don't have high standards.

I'd love to, but there doesn't seem to be anything else to read. Only things I can turn up using the keywords of "RIAI" and "1955" are about Busaras.

Not everything is online... I meant go to the building, walk around it, have a look at the materials used, look, feel, touch, the aesthetics, read the inscriptions and the various literature. Look at it from different angles.
    I never described all of Dublin as dirty and ugly

You did.. but look, I'll spell it out to you. Students that are not from Dublin don't live in great areas unless they manage to get digs in Trinity or UCD. They don't have much money, so they end up drinking, dining and staying in cheaper places. They take public transport, cycle or walk through not so good areas to their college taking all the bad things in on their way. They are often homesick and this breeds hatred to their new surroundings. They go home every weekend to their folks to get their clothes washed, to get fed, to meet up with their friends and family and they head back on Sunday night to their cold, crap digs after leaving the comfort of home.

It's understandable that you don't like Dublin.

But... if you take some time out and look around you and look up you will see amazing architecture. Take a stroll around Fitzwillam Square, visit the colleges and the museums.

You should visit Blessington street Basin. It's a hidden gem in Dublin's North inner city. A very very peaceful beautiful place to relax. I seriously doubt you have ever been there as you don't know the city. If your really are open minded, you will visit the basin and tell us what you think. Please take the blinkers off and get back to me when and tell me what you think.

You seem to be wearing rose tinted glasses

Just to ad PseudoFamous, this is a fair point and it's certainly true when it comes to my city. I do see the grime, the syringes, the bad things... But, I don't concentrate on them. I concentrate on the good. It's in my nature. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jackmcg

Bump CianRyan and a few others for telling it like it is. Put your "art" argument aside because the lads who painted this bridge couldn't care less what you think. Theyre the kind of lads that will laugh harder the more you complain. If it gets washed, they will do their best to re-paint the spot with twice the damage. They aren't looking for praise from the public eye, theyre just looking to seek attention (like all young lads!) and to get a reaction in a way that gives them an immense rush

The problem with graffiti in Dublin today is the emphasis on quantity over quality- believe it or not Dublin was not always like this. You might think these guys have a "toy" style but they've earned a good bit of respect from peers in terms of their dedication to gettin ridiculous amount of unbelievable spots.

I for one, find it quite interesting looking at the typography used and thinking of how the hell they got up there. Granted it was a beautiful bridge with beautiful detail, but none of you's are complaining about the huge bulmers ad that covers half of it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour. The level of civic responsibility in Dublin is outrageous. Hopefully those responsible are dealt with using the extremist means possible, by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jackmcg wrote: »
    Bump CianRyan and a few others for telling it like it is. Put your "art" argument aside because the lads who painted this bridge couldn't care less what you think. Theyre the kind of lads that will laugh harder the more you complain. If it gets washed, they will do their best to re-paint the spot with twice the damage. They aren't looking for praise from the public eye, theyre just looking to seek attention (like all young lads!) and to get a reaction in a way that gives them an immense rush

The problem with graffiti in Dublin today is the emphasis on quantity over quality- believe it or not Dublin was not always like this. You might think these guys have a "toy" style but they've earned a good bit of respect from peers in terms of their dedication to gettin ridiculous amount of unbelievable spots.

I for one, find it quite interesting looking at the typography used and thinking of how the hell they got up there. Granted it was a beautiful bridge with beautiful detail, but none of you's are complaining about the huge bulmers ad that covers half of it..

I'll leave this one for Degsy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I was getting the DART from Tara Street yesterday and I saw the bridge. Quite frankly, it's a f*cking disgrace the damage that's been caused.

Also, Jackmcg, I'm a "young lad" and I don't do idiotic things like vandalise bridges to "seek attention", so don't try and say that all people my age do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I'm of 2 minds about graffitti.
    But some graffitti people can be real assh*les.

The Life and Death of a Dublin Wall Mural.

That's just vindictiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jackmcg

Conchir wrote: »
    I'm a "young lad" and I don't do idiotic things like vandalise bridges to "seek attention", so don't try and say that all people my age do.

stop twisting words, you know thats not what i said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Jackmcg wrote: »
    stop twisting words, you know thats not what i said.

Fair enough, after reading your comment again, I see that's not what you meant. However, I still don't think the fact the people who did this were looking for a rush excuses the fact they vandalised the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fruitlessly attempted to contact DCC and Irish about the graffiti ages ago but all I got was a email saying it will be passed onto so and so. of course I call and no one knows which department to put me through to. Once again proven to me how little the council care about the visual state of the city.

crushproof wrote: »
    Fruitlessly attempted to contact DCC and Irish about the graffiti ages ago but all I got was a email saying it will be passed onto so and so. of course I call and no one knows which department to put me through to. Once again proven to me how little the council care about the visual state of the city.

It's not an easy clean up job. It's beside one of the busiest traffic bridges in Ireland, on the busiest rail bridge in Ireland, over a river. Think of how fecking hard that would be to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

CianRyan wrote: »
    This, this sort of attitude is why people don't post on boards.
    Don't drive people away like that, you're just driving away opinions.

Maser is a great artists and is commissioned not only in Dublin but around the world.
    don't spout this kind of **** without doing some research first.

I'm sure any Dub would recognise at least one of these
    47.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    52.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    28.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    totally overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It's not an easy clean up job. It's beside one of the busiest traffic bridges in Ireland, on the busiest rail bridge in Ireland, over a river. Think of how fecking hard that would be to sort out.
    but yet a couple of kids managed to paint it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

CianRyan wrote: »
    This, this sort of attitude is why people don't post on boards.
    Don't drive people away like that, you're just driving away opinions.

Maser is a great artists and is commissioned not only in Dublin but around the world.
    don't spout this kind of **** without doing some research first.

I'm sure any Dub would recognise at least one of these
    47.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    52.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    28.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    totally overrated

I'd disagree, as would the majority of people seeing as he gets so much work
    His style is simple but simple can be brilliant. I'll give you, his work is not the most thought provoking but it is pleasing to the eye and general public.

Your opinions are your own yet without forther expression of them, I personally, can't take them as valid ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

It looks crap to me. If I wanted comic book art I wold buy a comic book. Makes the place look even more dodgey then it is.

Look there is a reason why painter and decorators get paid well and graffiti artists are on the underground. Just because someone was commisioned to spray a wall here and there doesnt mean that we have to like it, appreciate it or put up with the 99.9% of taggers who are talentless vandals.

It's not art its junk. It's the painted equivalent of illegal dumping. If any people here think Graffiti is nice go look at the falls road in belfast, see how miserable it makes the place look.

By the way there should be no need to report this case of Graffiti it's blatently obvious to the counsel and Gardai alike.

I'm tired of scumbags sh*tting on my city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Good news, the graffiti has been removed from the bridge, spotted it today.

nudger wrote: »
    Good news, the graffiti has been removed from the bridge, spotted it today.

Gone nearly a week now. However, the worker's cabins have been tagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Spotted that, some of the same ones that were on the bridge I think, gob****s.
    They must be pissed off that their art was interfered with, love to see them caught and made pay for the repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nudger wrote: »
    They must be pissed off that their art was interfered with, love to see them caught and made pay for the repairs.

Their WHAT?.

Do you wanna be perma-banned or what?. (yes I kid)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement