Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Financial Maths and Actuarial Sciences course in UCC like??

• 31-07-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Anybody who could offer any advice on this, it'd be much appreciated!!:)

I am seriously considering pursuing my dream of becoming an actuary (I am currently going into 5th year) and at the moment, I am considering different college courses.

Does anybody know anything about the Financial Maths course in UCC? Obviously, Ive been on the UCC website, and I've read all their information about the course, but I would love some advice from someone who has either completed this degree, or a similar one in a different college.

How does it compare compared to the Actuarial course in UCD? I would probably prefer the UCD course, as it seems to have a better reputation, however because I live in Cork and money is not exactly flowing around our house, so paying for Dublin accommodation (I live in Cork) probably isn't feasible.

What is the standard of teaching of Maths like in UCC?

Sorry, I know I just asked a lot of questions, but if you could answer even one of them, please help me out!!! :):):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't do Financial Maths but I do pure maths as half of my degree and there is a bit of overlap between the two. I think the standard of lecturing in the Maths department is pretty good overall; obviously some lecturers are better than others but some of the staff are excellent. (Tom Carroll is a certifiable legend! :D)

As for the UCD course having a better reputation, I don't know anything about that. But UCD and UCC are both great universities and neither is more presitgious than the other. At the end of the day you'll still come out with a Financial Maths degree whichever one you choose. So if money's an issue, I'd recommend staying at UCC tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shizle

Thanks for that! Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking too, I was just a little bit worried about the standard of lecturing. During the year, I took part in a Maths Enrichment course in UCC, and although the course content was interesting, I can't say I found the lecturer (Donal Hurley - hope he's not reading this thread!!!) particularly great. We did have Tom Carroll for one lecture though, and he was incredible!!! A tad crazy, but a pretty outstanding teacher!

Lol, I've had Donal Hurley too. He's one of those "scare you into learning" types of lecturer. His teaching style works for some (I thought he was a good lecturer) but not with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Im actually starting this course in September. My brother just finished it this year, albeit the Pure Maths strain. He says its an excellent course. He got a scholarship to Trinity afterwards to do a Masters in Maths & Neuroscience.

As regards the actuarial side, you do some of the required actuary exams as part of the course. I think theres something like 16 (?) and UCC do half of them. Which eases the load for the year after considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't do Financial Maths but I do pure maths as half of my degree and there is a bit of overlap between the two. I think the standard of lecturing in the Maths department is pretty good overall; obviously some lecturers are better than others but some of the staff are excellent. (Tom Carroll is a certifiable legend! :D)

That is a fact! I went down to UCC in March so I could talk to somebody and he was the one I met :) Lovely guy.

I'm going to be doing maths in UCC come September, but I don't know if I'll do the financial maths course. I like the idea of doing Maths and Physics, so prolly that! :)

• Advertisement

Well I'm going into 3rd Year of Maths/Physics in September, so if you have any questions on that ask away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well I'm going into 3rd Year of Maths/Physics in September, so if you have any questions on that ask away. :)

I'm sure I do have questions, but I can't think of any at the moment. I'll get back to you about it though. Thank you :)

Advertisement