Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Just an update re. Booksunlimited.ie;

They don't actually have a warehouse in Ireland, so they order the books from the UK anyway. The reason I used them was because I thought they were an Irish company, not just a depot. They also said that all their books take 5 days + to be delivered. I would have been better off going into a book shop in town or using Amazon. However, I did want to give them a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 chiempi

I'll be missing this meeting - went into Dubray's to get The Siege of Krishnapur last week then realised even before they said they don't have it (try Charlie Byrne's) that I'll be in Dublin anyway. Probably gasping for good clean west coast air by then.

Hi Everyone,

BookClub meeting this evening @ 8pm, Bar No.8, Dock Road to discuss The Siege of Krishnapur.

See you then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Looking forward to it...

New members always welcome folks...

Hello Everyone,

Seeing as only one of the five attendees at last night's BookClub meeting (namely Pope Buckfast) read the nominated book, we decided not to discuss it until next Tuesday night, the 17th of June. That's only one week away, not the usual two weeks we have between books but most of us had some of it read at least.

I was happy with this myself because I really didn't want to know the ending of the story until I had read it. I'm finding it to be a very entertaining read, and also very funny. I think this was the general consensus at the club yesterday evening.

Of course this is going to alter the schedule of books to be read so we will modify it asap.

Kate also nominated a book. Don't have a clue what it was but I'll find out or I'm sure she will fill us in on Boards.ie

So, I hope to see lots of members next Tuesday night if ye can make it. The book is well worth reading...and now you all have a 2nd chance :)

Oh yeah, at last night's meeting were the following:

Sandra
    Kate
    Hugh (Pope Buckfast)
    Tristan C
    TristanPeter

• Advertisement

I believe it was 'Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town' by Stephen Lealock, also known in some editions as 'Sunshine Sketches of a Small Town'

Here it is on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunshine-Sketches-Little-Stephen-Leacock/dp/1406814334/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213345157&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Apologies for my lack of attendance of late but my life is somewhat more hectic now with very few free evenings unlike before.

I shall make it when I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cdn Kat

Hello Everyone. Sorry about not posting the book I nominated sooner...rushing around like crazy this last week. Yes the book is Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock. It's a classic Canadian novel and hopefully everyone enjoys a good satire.

I'm sending apologies in advance for tomorrow night. I was really looking forward to discussing The Siege of Krishnapur, however I just found out a friend of mine is coming to town tomorrow, which is a nice surprise. I will be at the following meeting with bells on (as the saying goes) and I am very sorry to miss the interesting discussion that will no doubt come about tomorrow night. Cheers everyone.:)

Sorry to hear that Kate... you can always post up your comments on the blog after the summary goes up!

Hi Everyone,

I collected a book club registation form today from Dubray Books for Galway BookClub. In order to avail of their special book club discount of 10% I have to give them the names of all our Galway BookClub members who are interested. So I would appreciate it if all involved could PM me their full names. I have most surnames but there are a few I'm unsure of. If you intend to come to meetings in future but have not made it as of yet, send me your names also please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Wow, I was just doing an online search for bookclubs in galway and I had just given up when I came across this post!

I'd be really interested in joining (female, early twenties)

What's the sort of age group that would normally attend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

MattKid wrote: »
    Apologies for my lack of attendance of late but my life is somewhat more hectic now with very few free evenings unlike before.

I shall make it when I can

Matt, you don't have to pretend with us. PB told us what happened. I didn't even realize LASIK could remove someone's near vision. I think The Sea might have a book on tape version.

Weidii wrote: »
    Wow, I was just doing an online search for bookclubs in galway and I had just given up when I came across this post!

I'd say the majority are mid-20s. Oldest would be early 30s, though I'm searching for a token spunky granny to join and give us pearls of wisdom and witticism.

Weidii wrote: »

Our next BookClub meeting is this evening so come along. It's at 8pm in Bar No. 8 on Dock Road. We are discussing The Siege of Krishnapur. I know you won't have read it but drop in anyway if you get a chance.

Well you might have read it I suppose at some other stage:)

BookClub meeting this evening at 8pm, Bar No. 8 to discuss The Siege of Krishnapur.

See you then :)

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday evening we discussed The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G Farrell. Unfortunately it was a very brief discussion because the music in Bar no. 8 got a bit too loud. No one could hear the conversation and this was the book that I was most looking forward to discussing of all of the books so far at BookClub.

Of course the goal of any pub is to make money and the management are going to cater to the needs of the customers who will bring the most business in. There was some party on so I suppose I can't complain, and the staff always do their best to accommodate us.

We are considering changing the venue however. As the summer comes into full swing it will be hard I'm sure to have an evening in Bar no. 8 when it's quiet enough to hold our meetings. Perhaps we should have our next meeting there in 2 weeks time and see how it goes. If again it's very loud we can move on. Hugh suggested The Cottage in Salthill as there are a few small rooms, which maybe we could reserve. I suggested The Bal because this has three floors and the chances are at least one floor won't be busy on a Tuesday night. Architecturally, I really like it also. It's bright and spacious. Parking wouldn't be such a problem in Salthill either. Anyway, suggestions are more than welcome and if we have to change venue, we can try to make an informed decision.

Back to The Siege of Krishnapur; what a brilliant book in my opinion! I found it very very funny whilst also being very serious in dealing with the predicament that the characters find themselves in. It's a great study of traditional/conservative views versus new/modern approaches to different aspects of life. From technology and innovation to the class system of British society at the time the book is set in...and I'm sure this still applies today, but perhaps to a lesser degree in our society.

All the main characters seem to have a protagonist to their ideals...not necessarily an enemy but someone who generally has conflicting ideas in relation to the same subject...spirituality or religion or government or status or materialism and as the book progresses there is a gradual "stripping down" of these ideals which is paralleled with the gradual wasting away of the characters during the siege. By the end of the story there is a complete shift in some of the character's beliefs as to what they feel is important in life, to the opposite end of the spectrum.

The book itself was quite difficult to read. Small text and over 300 pages but I feel that it's not the kind of story that you want to rush. Almost every sentence in it is relevant, holds undertones of satire or illustrates brilliantly the character's pre-occupation with their own beliefs, a preoccupation which is often detrimental to their hazardous circumstances at any given time, which is what made the book for me so enjoyable.

So without a doubt, I would give The Siege of Krishnapur 10 out of 10. Thanks Pope Buckfast for nominating it :)

All comments are more than welcome re. my own views above about this book. Agree...disagree?

At last night's meeting was:

Anne Marie
    Caitriona
    Pope Buckfast (Hugh)
    Damien G
    Sandra
    and Myself

Details of the proposed BookClub barbeque will be texted to members shortly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

That was the Milano managers leaving drinks, I would have been there if I wasn't trying to get rid of Manflu

How inconsiderate of them :rolleyes:

yeah the dicks!*

*don't mean this, just wanted to get the 200th post on this thread!!!!

Edit: Dammit!

• Advertisement

yeah the dicks!*

*don't mean this, just wanted to get the 200th post on this thread!!!!

Edit: Dammit!

201st post!

Hello Everyone,

Our next BookClub meeting will be taking place tomorrow evening in Bar No. 8 at 8pm. We will be discussing The Sea by John Banville. Hope to see you there :)

TristanPeter

BookClub meeting this evening at 8pm; Bar No. 8

Hello Everyone,

So far I think that this book created the least amount of discussion in the long history of BookClub meetings. I personally didn't find it to be a terrible story or anything. It just seemed as though it was written by John Banville with an expectation that it should be minutely analysed word after word by high-brow literary types. There were so many parallels with historical events, mythology, art & culture etc. introduced that I believe the story can't be taken just literally. Therefore I'd say in order to understand it's "brilliance" you would need to be fairly cultured in these categories. If the book is taken just literally, I don't see how it would have won the Booker Prize in 2005? I realise that most novels have a certain amount of these alternate themes running through them...but this was a bit much, unless of course you are into indepth analysis of novels.

Thank God for our next book, A Confedaracy of Dunces, which from what I have heard is a very funny satire. BookClub members seem to be getting a bit disillusioned with our choices so far, not because they are necessarily bad but moreso because they are a bit heavy or lacking in humour. This probably explains the low attendance at this meeting. Perhaps there's an element of "cherry-picking" going on? However, the idea of the BookClub to begin with was that members would take the rough with the smooth and so each member has the freedom to nominate their own choices. This may not be happening but I think it's unfair of members to nominate their own book, attend the meeting to discuss it, and then not go to the discussion of other member's books because they don't like the sound of them. Correct me if I'm wrong but this was a low turn-out and it was said jokingly in weeks leading up to it that it would be a quiet week for discussion. I know some members can't always attend and they don't have to. I'm just saying...

Members who attended included;

Damien G,
    Sandra L,
    Caitriona S,
    Anne Marie,
    Kate B and,
    TristanPeter

Yah sorry for lack of attendance... was snowed under with work, so didn't get to read it.

Can you do an updated upcoming book list?

The membership cards for Galway BookClub and Dubray Books just arrived today. I will bring them to the next discussion group. 10% off all books (except books already on promotion). Better than a kick in the teeth :D

Hi All,

A reminder that we will be meeting this evening again at 8pm, Bar No.8 to discuss A Confederacy of Dunces by john Kennedy Toole. Hope to see you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

how did it go?

I just found this thread and it's a pity i wasn't there as I loved that book.

Anyway guys I have some suggestions for the book club format...what we must do at future meetings is not confine ourselves to merely discussing our interpretations of the book itself, but instead we should use the book to steer our conversations towards our own life experiences, philosophy, humour whatever.....do not limit yourself to the content of the book or the book club becomes a very formal rigid affair full of uppity pricks who make it difficult for you to get a word in edgeways...each persons aying "i liked the bit when bla bla bla"....no,no,no.....we should use the book merely as an excuse or pretense for discussing issues at large. Think of the book club more as a social club and we'll be flying, in fact I am hoping that i am attracted to some of the females on show and they they make some kind of effort with regard to their appearance when they show up. Finally I want to say that we should dedicate only half of the allotted time to discuss the book/life/themes the book inspires and the other half to get a few shandys down us and generally unwind and have a laugh. I feel i should be spending more time with intellectuals as my banter is at times too high-brow for my current set of mates and goes over their heads.

What do you think guys? let me know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Nathan251 wrote: »
    how did it go?

I just found this thread and it's a pity i wasn't there as I loved that book.

Anyway guys I have some suggestions for the book club format...what we must do at future meetings is not confine ourselves to merely discussing our interpretations of the book itself, but instead we should use the book to steer our conversations towards our own life experiences, philosophy, humour whatever.....do not limit yourself to the content of the book or the book club becomes a very formal rigid affair full of uppity pricks who make it difficult for you to get a word in edgeways...each persons aying "i liked the bit when bla bla bla"....no,no,no.....we should use the book merely as an excuse or pretense for discussing issues at large. Think of the book club more as a social club and we'll be flying, in fact I am hoping that i am attracted to some of the females on show and they they make some kind of effort with regard to their appearance when they show up. Finally I want to say that we should dedicate only half of the allotted time to discuss the book/life/themes the book inspires and the other half to get a few shandys down us and generally unwind and have a laugh. I feel i should be spending more time with intellectuals as my banter is at times too high-brow for my current set of mates and goes over their heads.

What do you think guys? let me know:)

LOL!! :eek::eek::eek: Post of the year!!!:eek::eek::D

• Advertisement

m83 wrote: »
    LOL!! :eek::eek::eek: Post of the year!!!:eek::eek::D

That was amazing, it was actually pitch perfect for the tone of Confederacy of Dunces.

Advertisement