Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggestions on how to solve the catholic church pedophile problem?

• 28-11-2009 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I know the majority of priests are definitely NOT pedophiles, and most do a lot of good work in their lives..

But I did hear a figure of 5% are pedophiles, that's a huge number, even 1% would be a huge number. Even 0.1% would be a huge number. Even if there was only 1 pedophile priest, it would be a massive number.

And now that they are exposed, I wonder how will the church deal with the situation ?
    For sure there are still many in the church who are still pedophiles, it's not as if they have gone away.......

I'd hope at the very minimum, the church will have the following policies in the future.
    - Rules that priests are never allowed to be alone with minors.
    - Active policies within the church to seek out pedophiles and deal with them
    - Total and active co-operation with the police
    - Councilling services to the priests who have these terrible tendencies.

Also I think maybe there should be a law against having alterboys and altergirls, because if 5% of priests are pedophiles, then it's far too high a risk.
    For the 95% of priests who are not pedophiles, I'm sure they would understand, and not take it personal for the common good.

Also shouldn't it now become part of the primary school curriculum to educate young kids about the danger of pedophiles, and how to react to inappropriate behavior.

I think every kid over the age of 4 should be taught that any inappropriate contact with adults is absolutely wrong, and that it should be reported straight away, because clearly in the past, some kids were not educated to the dangers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

shoot the ***** in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I think if the catholic church had allowed priests to marry they wouldn't have turned to preying on innocent kids to satisfy their urges. You don't hear of this kind of abuse happening in religions where priests/pastors/vicars are allowed to marry. I'm not naive, I'm sure it does happen but not on such a grand scale as in the catholic church. I'm sure this factor would have made a difference and saved a lot of kids a lot of pain and suffering. :(

Jen ;->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Louisc

The more I think about it, the more I think child education is the answer.

A child knows from a very early age that walking up to a stray dog, there may be a 5% chance that the dog will bite you (because it's the dogs nature)

Equally a child should know that if in the company of a priest, there may be a 5% chance the priest is a pedophile (because it's the priests nature)

I think the answer is education of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Does anybody have a source for that 5%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

As Father Ted said:

'If there's 100 million priests in the world and only Ten percent are Paedophiles, then that makes only 10 million paedo priests!'

A good return if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

The guy wrote: »
    Does anybody have a source for that 5%?

I may be wrong but I think it was mentioned in this week's report

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

shoot the ***** in the face.

Demolish every church and cathedral in the country
    then build children's playgrounds on the empty space.

A fitting end,
    the children win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

(sigh) What the world really needs right now is yet another AH thread about catholicism and paedophillia.
    Jenroche wrote: »
    I think if the catholic church had allowed priests to marry they wouldn't have turned to preying on innocent kids to satisfy their urges.

Im sorry but thats a complete crock.

Is every person over the age of 35 who has never been married now to be regarded as a suspect paedophile ?

There are probably a lot of good reasons why the Roman Catholic Church should allow their priests to marry (although its really about as much of my business as the internal affairs of any other private club which Im not a member of) however to suggest that such a measure is going to be some kind of panacea for the problem of clerical paedophillia is naive in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Reduce the age of consent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Try Humanities.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement