Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deciphering a name on Tithe Records?

• 16-12-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Patrick Neal is the name transcribed, but could it be Patrick Real on # 21 on this Tithe Record. If you look at #2, Cornelius Ryan, the Ryan is similar to the N or R on #21.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I would have gone for Neal too until I noticed Cornelius Ryan. However, I have also heard of the surname 'Nyan'. So unless you can look at the previous or next page to check more of the handwriting, I'm afraid I can't make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks.
    Here are all the records for this townland. Look at the name under Ryan, maybe Widow Rainsberry, similar letter of N/R.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

It does look like it could be Real.

MacLysaght (The Surnames of Ireland, p.263) says that Real is a variation of Ryle/Riall, a name mostly associated with Kerry. So it is in the right part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks Coolnabacky.
    On Griffiths, there was a Patrick & James Raile (1st time I have seen that spelling) in Ballynaclogh but no Neal. So maybe it should be Patrick Real.

Advertisement