Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used campers - Buyers or sellers market?

• 20-11-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm currently on the lookout for a used 6 berth camper and have seen a few online that I like. I'm just wondering what's the market like at the moment. I know there's a bit of a conflict of interest here with some of you as you're in the business but if you could give me some guidance on the flexibility of price in dealerships or private sale ie can I offer, let's say, 20% less than asking price for straight cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

M_Bear wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently on the lookout for a used 6 berth camper and have seen a few online that I like. I'm just wondering what's the market like at the moment. I know there's a bit of a conflict of interest here with some of you as you're in the business but if you could give me some guidance on the flexibility of price in dealerships or private sale ie can I offer, let's say, 20% less than asking price for straight cash?

This thing of straight cash is a common fallacy. We buy for x amount, we have to show how we paid for it on the books. We can't take a ball of cash and claim we sold at a loss, the revenue would be onto us like a shot. From what I see , if you get 500-1000 off for every 10k asking price from a dealer , you'd be doing well.

Be warned, there's an AWFUL lot of bad stuff out there, people have been very negligent keeping them in good order as a rule. Usually from a lack of knowledge.

There's a scarcity of good MHs for sale, we've been scouring Ireland, UK, Europe with no result. If anything, like for like they're still slightly cheaper here. Just hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Be warned, there's an AWFUL lot of bad stuff out there, people have been very negligent keeping them in good order as a rule. Usually from a lack of knowledge.
    I have given up trying to find a reasonable Coachbuilt alcove, 95% of the ones I have looked at are rotten, either completely or will be needing serious structural work in the near future.
    I didn't want to go down the van conversion route but at this stage they look to be better in terms of weatherproofness.
    I just have to find the right length and layout for my small budget.
    Also they are more economical and speedy if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have given up trying to find a reasonable Coachbuilt alcove, 95% of the ones I have looked at are rotten, either completely or will be needing serious structural work in the near future.
    I didn't want to go down the van conversion route but at this stage they look to be better in terms of weatherproofness.
    I just have to find the right length and layout for my small budget.
    Also they are more economical and speedy if needed.

What's your budget?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    What's your budget?
    8k or so.
    I don't mind the older square Ducato's but hard to find a decent one now.
    Missed the first one I looked at last year, was immaculate underneath.
    Euromobil 675

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Even with higher budgets its tough looking for the right van. My budget is about 3 times higher and I'm looking since the start of the year.

I'm in the opposite boat in that I'm looking for a nice compact 2 berth van with a particular layout. The amount of wrecks and rot boxes are amazing out there.

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »
    Even with higher budgets its tough looking for the right van. My budget is about 3 times higher and I'm looking since the start of the year.

I'm in the opposite boat in that I'm looking for a nice compact 2 berth van with a particular layout. The amount of wrecks and rot boxes are amazing out there.
    The problem is that most people that buy campers treat them like their cars, they get serviced *when they need it* which is when something has gone wrong.
    The second thing is that most people just park them like a car, outside in all weathers and in this climate its just asking for trouble.
    Sealant shrinks and lets water in, then the fun starts.
    I looked at up to 06 coachbuilts but gave up when crawling underneath showed all the floor battens rotten and the floor itself rotten as well.
    Lots of very unrealistic prices for basically fixeruppers.
    Its a real shame as the camper stock in the country is aging fast and not very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Its hard to say if its a buyers or sellers market, my take on it is that since the introduction of the VRT the market has become stagnant,with very little new vans coming into the pool its getting harder to find a good one,there are still some nice vans to be had but as with most things you get what you pays for

• Registered Users Posts: 11 music110

I have a five berth to sell any idea how much to sell for. It has been well minded and not used at all for four years. Single table at back that turns into bed and double bed/table in centre and over cab huge double bed. Regards Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

music110 wrote: »
    I have a five berth to sell any idea how much to sell for. It has been well minded and not used at all for four years. Single table at back that turns into bed and double bed/table in centre and over cab huge double bed. Regards Dee

All depends on the condition, any damp mildew etc, how it was stored, does it have a doe, was it regularly started and moved, does it need all new batteries are the tyres knackered from standing etc. etc.

If its not got a test then I would get it done without a test you'll put off a lot of buyers and you can expect a lot of ****ehawks and tyre kickers thinking they can buy it for 3 grand. A good clean inside and out and a wax will make it much more saleable. If it was dry stored make sure to mention that in the ad as stadning for 4 years in the elements can lead to all sorts of issues with brakes, wheel bearings, rot, even oil pumps can lose their prime standing around.

Advertisement