Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Directories

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hermy wrote: »
    Tis great when people fall foul of the law - such wonderful paper trails they leave behind!:)

A small fine for poorly controlled pigs on the road let me eliminate a rake of certs and get the correct death cert for someone. The wonders of minor (unintentional) crime!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

L1011 wrote: »
    A small fine...

I've said it before but it's amazing how sometimes the smallest detail can reveal so much.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I know the County Library in Tallaght has a lot of Thom's Directories on the shelves. When I searched Tallaght online I found 392 items throughout Dublin libraries for Thom's Directories, some early and some recent, and some on CD ROM.

http://librariesireland.iii.com/iii/encore/search/C__SThom's%20Directory__Orightresult__U?lang=eng&suite=def

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

South Dublin Libraries also have extracts as images from Thoms online - Palmerstown, Golden Bridge, Island Bridge, Kilmainham, Rathfarnham, Roundtown, Lucan etc. See the Directory Database ...

Shane, whenever you get a chance I wonder would you mind checking 32 Kildare Street for Hearne please?
    The Electoral Rolls lists Daniel Joseph O'Brien living there up until 1915 - a barrister according to the census.
    The John Robert Hearne gives his fathers address as 32 Kildare Street on his RAF service record in late 1918.
    The father was stationed in the RIC barracks in Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow in 1911 and at Harold's Cross Cottages when he died in 1927.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

32 Kildare Street (close to junction with Schoolhouse lane on the west side of the street)

1914 - Daniel J. O'Brien barrister
    1917 - Mrs. Hearne
    1919 - Irish Butter Export Committee (Ministry of Food)
    1922 - Irish Dairy (Producers & Shippers) Association. Sec. D. Hegarty

shanew wrote: »
    32 Kildare Street (close to junction with Schoolhouse lane on the west side of the street)

1914 - Daniel J. O'Brien barrister
    1917 - Mrs. Hearne
    1919 - Irish Butter Export Committee (Ministry of Food)
    1922 - Irish Dairy (Producers & Shippers) Association. Sec. D. Hegarty

That's the place Shane - thank you.
    Now to figure out how they came to be living there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

16 Old Camden Street, Dublin

Hi
    I'm wondering if there is any record of occupiers at the above address around 1880-1881. I'm looking for O'Briens. I would appreciate any help. Many thanks.

have listings for Camden Street Upper & Lower - didn't see a separate entry for Camden Street Old - will check is more detail this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

shanew wrote: »
    have listings for Camden Street Upper & Lower - didn't see a separate entry for Camden Street Old - will check is more detail this evening.

Camden Street Old was a street, recently extinguished, leading from Camden Street Upper to Harcourt Road, originally the beginning of Mountpleasant Avenue before the Canal was built. Its position is shown by the odd building line in Camden Street Upper at the Bleeding Horse. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

16 Old Camden Street, Dublin...
    I'm wondering if there is any record of occupiers at the above address around 1880-1881. I'm looking for O'Briens.....

checked 1879, 1880 and 1885 and all include Camden Street Old in the street index as off Harcourt Rd. (Camden St. Upr. is off Harrington St.), but no separate street listing, just the entries for Upper & Lower.

Based on a comparison of the 1911 census, which lists the street separately, and a 1914 directory it looks like buildings on Old Camden Street are listed under Camden Street Upper e.g Harvey's Oyster bar at no. 23.

If that's the case then numbers 13 to 24 Upper Camden Street were probably Camden St. Old - which would include no. 16. Unfortunately No. 16 is missing from the street listing in 1879 & 1880 listings, skips from 13 Thomas Rudd house painter to 17 Mr. Michael Cavanagh. Mr. Cavanagh is still at 17 in 1885, and 13 is Mary Reilly dairy (no numbers 14-16).

Hi Shane
    Well, that's a pity. However, I really appreciate all the trouble you took to answer my query. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Some residents of 16 Old Camden Street from the newspaper archives - no O'Briens so far!

M’Phele, -August 28 at 16 Old Camden Street Cornelius M’Phele, aged 57 years. His remains will be removed this day (Friday) for interment in Mount Jerome Cemetery [Freeman’s Journal 30 Aug 1878 p1]

Burke – December 1 1884, Alice Mary Burke, second eldest daughter of Denis and Bridget Burke R.I.P. Funeral will leave 16 Old Camden Street at 10 o’clock to-morrow (Wednesday) morning. American papers please copy. [Freeman’s Journal 2 Dec 1884 p1]

1887 John Murray 16 Old Camden Street, was charged on remand with th embezzlement of 2s 6d, the property of his employer Mr Henry Calvert, 70 Rathmines road.

KildareFan
    That's most interesting. The variety of names at the address in relatively few years suggests to me that 16 Camden Street was probably a tenement house with a number of families in residence.

Shane, if I can trouble you again could you check if Joseph Murray was living in 2 Annesley Park, Rathmines/ Ranelagh in 1901 as that street isn't showing up on the 1901 Census.

EDIT: I note you had a thread about this some time ago on RootsChat and Annesley was never filmed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

thought the street sounded familiar...

I dont have 1901 exactly, but can do either side of it :

No. 2 Annesley Park Park, Ranelagh (off Dunville Ave.)

1899 : Mr. Thomas D. Jones
    1904 : Mr. Francis Grant
    1906 : " "
    1914 : T. O. Rutledge

That's strange. Joseph Hugh Murray gave his address as No. 2 for the birth of his son in 1899 and daughter in 1902.

Do you know if Annesley Park census return is available to view at the archives?

Genealogy Forum Mod

they could have been lodgers or a shared address ? - the names seem to change frequently in the listings

I dont know if the actual pages are available, I'm sure there are a few lost or missing, but most of those missing from the online records are just unfilmed, the NAI do have them - so worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Perhaps he was lodging there , or the occupier could have been a relative with a different surname, an in law maybe.
    Dunville Avenue is enumerated with house numbers in the 400s, it is likely that many thoroughfares are included in this, and the enumerator just lumped them all together.
    He probably did the same in other streets also.

John Grenham often mentioned how addresses missing from the digitised census, could be tracked by finding an adjacent house, removing the last digit from the page number, and substituting the next number. Continuing this on a long line of pages would be time consuming, but it depends how anxious one is to find the missing return.
    Otherwise, wait until the NAI reopen after the refurbishment, probably next month, and ask for the original.

the full street listings for 1899 and 1904...

396573.jpg

• Advertisement

By 1906 he was at Beechwood Avenue Upper where the family lived for some time so perhaps he was just lodging up until then.

Genealogy Forum Mod

1906 - 65B Mr. Joseph A. Murray

edit : he's at 65B Upr. Beechwood in 1904..

His wife and Ernest Moore's wife living next door were sisters.

Genealogy Forum Mod

extract for Beechwood Ave. Upr for '04 & '06, for ref

396576.jpg

Great replies as ever Shane - thanks very much.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Shane

Do you have anything around 1937 for Dublin?

If so, could you please check 21 Seapark Road, Dollymount (Clontarf now).

Cursing the loss of the electoral register online. I'll have to go into Pearse on Saturday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This probably won't help but Walter Heinrich, Annerose, and Ottilie Heitler were living at 21 Seapark Road in 1946 when they were granted citizenship certificates [report in Irish Press 30 Oct 1946 p2]

Further to 21 Seapark Road:

Walter Heitler was studying cosmic rays at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies between 1941 & 1949 [Irish Press 8 August 1959]; his mother Ottilie Heitler died 26 May 1972, still living in Seapark [Irish Press 29 Jan 1973 p14]. The house was sold in 1973 [see advertisement & photo in Irish Independent 18 May 1973 p24]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Fascinating! So it was probably a rented house then.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes - it looks like the Heitlers arrived in 1941. Walter was actually a renowned physicist & made an important contribution to quantum physics. He worked with Schrodinger in Dublin, until 1949 when he went to the University of Zurich - leaving the mammy back in Seapark Road. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Heitler

Advertisement