Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

feeling lonely tonight ...felt lonely all day really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

banquo wrote: »
    @Hersheys

Meditation. I used to be totally skeptical but you can't mock the results.

Google a book called Full Catastrophe Living. The shizz.

Thanks. I'd try anything once. Just couldn't deal with the meds I was on to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stoppress

On the subject off meditation I use Tapping [EFT] myself.

ashblag wrote: »
    feeling lonely tonight ...felt lonely all day really
    Know how u feel. Pm if you wanna chat xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hersheys wrote: »
    I'm not able for these dreams. I'm seriously not, each night they just get worse & worse.

Anyone any tips on dealing with them & their aftermath?

Look, Hersheys, if I was there with you, I would sing to you. Ya see, when I was going steady with my now wife, I had a habit of singing to her. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I asked her once if she liked my singing and, after a bit of himmming and hawwwing, she said to me that it helps her to get to sleep. Well, I took this as a complement, but I'm still not a 100% sure. But, I am still singing to her and we were married 34 years last week.
    Goodnight
    John:):)

• Advertisement

Fandango wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Problem is that you build up a tolerance for alcohol also! I have been off Effexor for about a year (maybe 2 years) now. I was on 150mg a day and found the anxiety came back with a vengance when I stopped them. I think i know what you mean about the shock sensation on the eye, sorta feels like the muscle underneath is constantly twitching? I have had this for 8 years now and been out of work for 6 years. Did a FAS course around 3 years ago but my condition has gone downhill alot since then. Barely managed that but without some serious help I honestly cant see myself lasting this course. I know what you mean about people not understanding it. The amount of times ive been asked can I not just suck it up and get over it/Whats the worst that can happen etc etc. Really annoys me at times but I suppose if you dont have a chronic case of it, you cant understand how bad it can be.

I was on effexor myself for about 8 months last year... thankfully back then I told the shrink they were doing nuff all and she put me on cymbalta&seroquil.
    I also agree with you about been able to do things medium term or long term. Its very hard indeed and not a living soul seems to understand this.In fact unless you are on some thing too and going through the same thing I doubt you would understand hence why I just stop talking to folk about everything and just say every thing is fine when any one does ask... that includes including the shrink nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Know how u feel. Pm if you wanna chat xx

thanks for that hersheys my internet went last night xx slept from then till 3today....going back to sleep now just better to sleep no feelings to deal with then just so tireed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

And thats a month of no self injury. Whew.

cloud493 wrote: »
    And thats a month of no self injury. Whew.

Well done cloud - the first month is the hardest - get thru a month and you know how to do it then xx

I wish :(

• Advertisement

I wish :(

You'll get there. A month is an incredible achievement. Well done. Remember this feeling. How proud you are of yourself. And if you feel the urge again look back to this moment & remember how good it feels. The only way is up xx

Keep looking up methods of stopping yourself when you get the urge - ice cubes, elastic bands, drawing on cuts... Just find ways of distracting yourself.

But always remember how good it felt to go a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

Not read all the thread (to about page 5) also suffering from panic attacks , anxiety and stress , anyone else feel better at the night times when it's dark outside ? I'm happy at the night time approx 9pm-12pm where as most depressed when I wake up (around 10am)

Bad dreams :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

Bad dreams :(

I get bad dreams 2 where bad stuff happens and I feel the emotions while I'm sleeping and then wake up depressed

You'll get there. A month is an incredible achievement. Well done. Remember this feeling. How proud you are of yourself. And if you feel the urge again look back to this moment & remember how good it feels. The only way is up xx

Keep looking up methods of stopping yourself when you get the urge - ice cubes, elastic bands, drawing on cuts... Just find ways of distracting yourself.

But always remember how good it felt to go a month.

Fraid stuff like that's old school for me, tried it, didn't work, but thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markedg

Hi All. I am 51 and have been depressed since I was in my early 20's. Until about a few years ago, I have been afraid to go to a doctor about it. To be honest, I have never liked myself, think I am ugly and I am afraid of everything. I have no friends, never been out with anyone as I feel that I am not good enough for anyone.
    My neighbor across the street is a retired doctor and he convinced me to go to a doctor as I would also get times that for no reason, I would get very upset and would want to cry. This used to last about 15 minutes or so, and then the urge would past. I am on 10mg lexapro for the last year or so and these episodes have mostly disappearred. I know that it won't fix everything and that I need to go to talk to someone to find out why I am like this.
    Now I would never do anything stupid, as that won't solve anything but part of me thinks that, at my age,everything is down hill from here.
    I have a very good family but my father was very strong willed and everything had to be done his way. He was very impatient and my mother would agree with him just to keep peace in the family. I could not do that. But on the other hand, if I needed something, he would give it to me, if he could. Unfortunately he has been dead for the last 11 years and he did suffer.
    I apologise for the long post but it also has taken a lot for me to post something like this. I know I have to go and talk to someone, but I am finding it very hard. I find t very hard to open up to people, never mind a doctor!
    Thanks for your time in reading this.

Fraid stuff like that's old school for me, tried it, didn't work, but thanks though :)

Ya it doesn't really work for me either, I just have to get into a frame of mind where I don't want to do it. I was nearly 4 years clean before I did it again :( but haven't done it since.

SoundFella wrote: »
    I get bad dreams 2 where bad stuff happens and I feel the emotions while I'm sleeping and then wake up depressed
    Yeah they're awful - I'm in a bad way today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

markedg wrote: »
    Hi All. I am 51 and have been depressed since I was in my early 20's. Until about a few years ago, I have been afraid to go to a doctor about it. To be honest, I have never liked myself, think I am ugly and I am afraid of everything. I have no friends, never been out with anyone as I feel that I am not good enough for anyone.
    My neighbor across the street is a retired doctor and he convinced me to go to a doctor as I would also get times that for no reason, I would get very upset and would want to cry. This used to last about 15 minutes or so, and then the urge would past. I am on 10mg lexapro for the last year or so and these episodes have mostly disappearred. I know that it won't fix everything and that I need to go to talk to someone to find out why I am like this.
    Now I would never do anything stupid, as that won't solve anything but part of me thinks that, at my age,everything is down hill from here.
    I have a very good family but my father was very strong willed and everything had to be done his way. He was very impatient and my mother would agree with him just to keep peace in the family. I could not do that. But on the other hand, if I needed something, he would give it to me, if he could. Unfortunately he has been dead for the last 11 years and he did suffer.
    I apologise for the long post but it also has taken a lot for me to post something like this. I know I have to go and talk to someone, but I am finding it very hard. I find t very hard to open up to people, never mind a doctor!

First step is posting here, well done. Don't be afraid to share. Next step is work on your self esteem. I've mentioned this earlier but have a look at books like Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" or anything in that vein. It can be great to just flick through when you are feeling down and it can calm you. Keep posting here and just take everything one step at a time.

markedg wrote: »

Hi their.
    Well first off its very important that you have been to the Dr. The lexapro is a first step in helping. I was put on lexapro first time I went to my GP and went totally bonkers ;) it turned out I have a mood disorder which lexapro tend to make worse.
    Another thing to note if you can try to get a counsellor once or twice a month for one hour sessions, that what I do and find it miles better than what the mental health service in this country do. I know you say you find it hard to talk to anyone but that tends to be the case for a lot off people until they find some one they can talk to. Put it another way, you well never find it easy to talk if you do not give it a proper try. talking helps long term, not talking keeps things the same long term.
    To finish off, do try your best to find something you like in order to give you something to look forward to the next day.
    All the best.

• Advertisement

Well I have to say it but 'ol scool' stuff don't swing it for me either:D
    like I mean snapping a band in my wrist.... begods but I would be too squeamish to try anything like that, yeee the very sight off my wrist and all those veins makes me dittsy.
    Any how all I can do when I hit a very bad patch is head to bed, not sleep or anything just ly their in a dark room staring at the celling.
    tapping sometimes works but one needs faith to get results and if any one gets in to a bad day mode like mine all the faith in the world well not help.
    Still tomorrow is another day...
    Bless now boardies... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Had hospital last thursday and doc drops bombshell into conversation in fairness i asked about a diagnosis but he turned back and said there's clearly some personality issues, wasn't expecting that plus they keep upping my serequel.. This has made me anxious and paranoid and terrible dreams at night that stay with me through the day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Headhog

Had hospital last thursday and doc drops bombshell into conversation in fairness i asked about a diagnosis but he turned back and said there's clearly some personality issues, wasn't expecting that plus they keep upping my serequel.. This has made me anxious and paranoid and terrible dreams at night that stay with me through the day. :(

That doesn't sound like much of a diagnosis did he not elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Headhog wrote: »

That doesn't sound like much of a diagnosis did he not elaborate?

+1. Issues with personality etc. can be developed because of an underlying medical condition. The stress of just dealing with it can be 'epic'. And personality traits (naturally) can develop as a result. If we constantly don't 'feel right' in ourselves in spite of talking/counselling, it screams of an underlying medical condition that just hasn't been treated correctly yet. At the end of the day no one knows us better than ourselves. I'm all for counselling/talking therapy etc., but the truth is it can be absolutely useless (and frustrating) if there is an underlying medical condition that is restricting us in every possible way. It's all about overcoming the first hurdle, then the second will follow. I've (painfully) had to accept that mine is a medical condition, one i'll possibly have to live with for the rest of my life, but accepting that has made me stronger. Counselling will probably come along the way too, and that'll probably be painful too. But i'm ok with that, pain is ok. But one step at a time, always one step at a time.

I am assuming when you say doc you refer to a senor Therapist or Psychiatrist. If so try not to take what they say with a heavy heart as they are all like that. The do try to help but most give you 10 or 15 minuets and a prescription. I am on seroquel too but a low dose. As for getting information from the doc's not easy as I find myself. They tend to be careful at giving you any diagnoses and start off with the one shoe fits all anxiety tag and work from their.
    I can offer no help with the dreams sorry but I do endorse talk therapy if you give it time. I wont bang on about the 'Holistic' approach either but I do find that helps too.
    Keep plugging away with it and dont try quitting on the treatment too soon which I did after 6 months last year... I ended up back at square one after just a few weeks. Best off luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Today is going ridiculously slow. Grateful i have the football later to distract me for a bit. Have doctor's appointment first thing in the morning, REALLY not looking forward to that, talking just seems to take such a huge effort at the moment, and i'm gonna have to talk, and get bloods taken. I'm aware of how negative i feel, yet i feel like i have NO control over it. Depression is such a b*stard.

Stay strong folks

manual_man wrote: »
    Today is going ridiculously slow. Grateful i have the football later to distract me for a bit. Have doctor's appointment first thing in the morning, REALLY not looking forward to that, talking just seems to take such a huge effort at the moment, and i'm gonna have to talk, and get bloods taken. I'm aware of how negative i feel, yet i feel like i have NO control over it. Depression is such a b*stard.

Stay strong folks

Keep plugging away manual man. I know talking to anyone can seem pointless sometimes but as I have been finding out over the last 12 months the less you say the less help you well get as Doc's well not know what they can do for you without info.
    Best off luck tomorrow with the appointment.
    PS I went dizzy last time they stuck a needle in my arm and I needed to spend a few minuets laying down after words... yeee I am not big on blood and guts and stuff like that:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Seeing an occupational therapist tomorrow?anybody know what they do?new doctor was very vague about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭asark

Just a suggestion – here is a simple but very effective exercise one can do every morning (5 – 10 minutes). It works on many levels – give it a try.
    http://www.ehow.com/video_8246714_morning-meridian-revitalizing-warm_up-exercises.html
    and another version of it
    http://video.answers.com/how-to-perform-the-swing-in-qi-gong-68733642

• Advertisement

Seeing an occupational therapist tomorrow?anybody know what they do?new doctor was very vague about it.

Truth be told I cant say I even know what an occupational therapist does.:confused: I have been handed around to 4 different doc's in two years and in my experience they are all a bit blunt. Asking naff questions and the like.
    Just dont be taken aback if they ask if your suicidal or homicidal:rolleyes: hear the TV talking to you and the like.
    Also its possible they may try and help you set up your day to day tasks and offer help in getting to grip with returning to the work place and the like, that sound more like it any way.
    All the best now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement