Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chit Chat Thread

• 23-04-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Mod Edit:
    Just to be clear - this thread is a rag bag of random discussions carried over from the days before Mary I had its own forum. There's some useful gems of information within it which will no doubt be referred back to again as questions about accommodation or subject choices crop up.

It's use now will hopefully be for general discussion/ramblings about Mary I.
    So feel free to chit chat in a thread that is quite an important part of the history of the Mary I forum :)

No mary I sub forums? Whys that? I mean, you have Griffith college here and thats just empty.. is there really litterally no one attending Mary I on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

If the Griffith college forum is empty and they have ~8500 students I'd assume that a Mary I one would be even worse if created

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Also, the Griffith College forum was created less than a month ago.

If you think there is a need for a Mary I forum there is nothing stopping you from requesting one be made.

You can request one here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

more just wondering is there any Mary I folk around here? thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Oh there are......we usually keep them locked away though for reasons that I won't go into now....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

rmacm wrote: »
    Oh there are......we usually keep them locked away though for reasons that I won't go into now....

There are more about alright.

There probably wouldn't be enough posts to make a dedicated forum worthwhile.

I think this has come up before too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

cool, thanks, just wondering is all, whats the crack like in Limerick? much like societies in Mary I? Is it really worth the 400 points you'd want to get? hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

am i the only current mary i'er on here? and i'll admit i'm quiet....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Cookie89

Hi i'm actually doing a griffith course in Mary I at the weekends, but unfortunately have to go for a full week hortly, just wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere to park within waking distance of the college. thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    cool, thanks, just wondering is all, whats the crack like in Limerick? much like societies in Mary I? Is it really worth the 400 points you'd want to get? hmmm

There's a good few societies, including (but not limited to) Creative Writing, Drama, Rugby, Soccer, GAA (hurling, camogie and football), Home & Away, Marshmallows & Cake, LGBT, Live Music... It's a long old list! There's also the freedom to set up new societies, once you can gather enough interested people to join them.
    Great craic most nights of the week, if you're up to it. The Lodge on Sunday nights, trad sessions in Charlie Malone's on Mondays, Trinity Rooms is Mary I night on Tuesdays, while Molly's/Icon/Angel Lane/Scott's/etc are always there.
    It does take a while to get used to the college itself though, but most of the lecturers are brilliant.
    fatgav wrote: »
    am i the only current mary i'er on here? and i'll admit i'm quiet....

Nope, I'm here too! I just hardly ever wander into the UL forum. D4RK ON1ON on the Guitar Hero forum is in 2nd Year in Mary I too.
    Cookie89 wrote: »
    Hi i'm actually doing a griffith course in Mary I at the weekends, but unfortunately have to go for a full week hortly, just wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere to park within waking distance of the college. thanks

It's pretty much impossible to get free parking within walking distance of the college, but you can try parking in Courtbrack (that's the student accomodation place down the hill from Scott's, there's usually a few empty spaces there).

Any other questions?
    Oh, and support the campaign for a Mary Immaculate College subforum here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165326&page=3

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

An File wrote: »
    Nope, I'm here too! I just hardly ever wander into the UL forum. D4RK ON1ON on the Guitar Hero forum is in 2nd Year in Mary I too.

Don't be giving away my secret identity!! Yeah Mary I... it's like a secondary school, but with third level subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

true true freaky statues too

As I said to An File yesterday over pizza, they serve to connect the fragmented buildings of the college. You're walking for a while, and you're thinking, "maybe this isn't the right way to M7", but then you see Jesus, nailed to a cross and you think, "ah, it wont be much longer."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    As I said to An File yesterday over pizza, they serve to connect the fragmented buildings of the college. You're walking for a while, and you're thinking, "maybe this isn't the right way to M7", but then you see Jesus, nailed to a cross and you think, "ah, it wont be much longer."

M7 was probably the most awkward location we ever had to find :)

(it's located on a seperate complex)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Mary I doesn't need a forum on boards.ie We have our own one just started last weekend. There is a link to it from the home page of www.whatsthelan.com the student run website.

lighthouse wrote: »
    Mary I doesn't need a forum on boards.ie We have our own one just started last weekend. There is a link to it from the home page of www.whatsthelan.com the student run website.

Yeah, fair play to Hot Rodd for that, it's looking great already :)

Yea, bit short of members yet, eventhough the counter is climbing steadily all the time. Are you in Mary I yourself?

Nings are relativly ready made as it is to be honest!

Yes, indeed Onion but aren't they brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

Im just finished first year B.Ed....heading to the gaeltacht now tomorro!!:o:D

Yes, indeed Onion but aren't they brilliant!
    They are very well made!

• Advertisement

Stressed! wrote: »
    Im just finished first year B.Ed....heading to the gaeltacht now tomorro!!:o:D

They did exactly the same with us last year, got us to go there Saturday of the bank holiday weekend. Have a good time. Was in Feothanach myself last year. Check out WTL to see pics from the Gaeltacht last year. If you take pics put them on WTL's new social network site or I can put them on the main site for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Hmmm... Dark Onion, eh?

I think I know your true identity. Thanks to An File.

I think I know his too...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Finished my last year there last May, and now heading to UL in September. Mary I should definitely have its own forum , as it has 2,800 students.

Finished my last year there last May, and now heading to UL in September. Mary I should definitely have its own forum , as it has 2,800 students.

Mary I does have its own forum on http://whatsthelan.ning.com/

Mary I does have its own forum on http://whatsthelan.ning.com/

I obviously mean on boards.ie

I obviously mean on boards.ie
    Yes indeed. I tried to set up a phpbb forum on whatsthelan earlier in the year but couldn't get it to work. Might have a go at it again before I go back to College. do you know any phpbb experts?:D

Yes indeed. I tried to set up a phpbb forum on whatsthelan earlier in the year but couldn't get it to work. Might have a go at it again before I go back to College. do you know any phpbb experts?:D

Careful there Lighthouse, that could be seen as spamming, and you get yourself banned...
    EddyC15 wrote: »
    Hmmm... Dark Onion, eh?

I think I know your true identity. Thanks to An File.

I think I know his too...

I'm not exactly one of the "big names" in college, I hang low, mainly because I despise the place. But also because I hate the place...

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Careful there Lighthouse, that could be seen as spamming, and you get yourself banned...

I'm not exactly one of the "big names" in college, I hang low, mainly because I despise the place. But also because I hate the place...

Funny, I love the place but also tá an grá agam don áit.

Funny, I love the place but also tá an grá agam don áit.

Don't know how you can, the place is like a big secondary school, wit a crap canteen, prefabs, Student Services who haven't a clue, the smelliest toilets in the EU, and packed computer rooms. But to be fair the lecturers are mainly good and helpful, but that is it.

• Advertisement

Don't know how you can, the place is like a big secondary school, wit a crap canteen, prefabs, Student Services who haven't a clue, the smelliest toilets in the EU, and packed computer rooms. But to be fair the lecturers are mainly good and helpful, but that is it.
    Well I guess "horses for courses". Yes it is like a big secondary school but I like the atmosphere of friendliness about the place. I agree the canteen isn't the best but I tend to avail of the student specials in Scott's, what's wrong with prefabs (which incidentally will be demolished when the new extension opens), I presume you have done a survey of toilets in the EU in order to be able to substantiate your claim re. Mary I's toilets, computer facilities could be improved (but most students have laptops). Personally I haven't had any problems with Student Services. At the end of the day it's what you make of it. If I may quote John F. Kennedy "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" :D

Advertisement