Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How does this connector work?

• 30-11-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Its not precisely a motorhome connection, but I got the new reed switch for my toilet compartment, and it comes like this...

2ngtth3.jpg2hpkb5l.jpg

How do I use the connections on the end. Do I shove a copper wire into the end and just crimp it roughly with a pliers?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Its not precisely a motorhome connection, but I got the new reed switch for my toilet compartment, and it comes like this...

2ngtth3.jpg2hpkb5l.jpg

How do I use the connections on the end. Do I shove a copper wire into the end and just crimp it roughly with a pliers?
    thanks

If you can get hold of a crimping pliers it would be much better,they are quite cheap otherwise you could use the type of plier that had a wire cutter but wrap some thin aluminium over the cutting edges to stop it cutting through the plastic if all else fails remove the crimp and use a screw connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You could give it a squeeze with a water pump pliers. That's should do the trick.

If you don't want to be going back to fix failed crimps...

T-TOOL-1658-5__9-Hex-Series-Crimping-Tool-TU-230C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If it was me, I'd remove those crap crimps and replace them with proper good quality spade connectors with the clear waterproof covers.
    Crimp and run a little solder into the joint, that way they will guarantee the connection.
    I really can't stand those opaque red, blue and yellow crimps.
    You never know when they are properly crimped and they always seem to fall off at the worst time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

crimp it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Remove the crimps. Solder joints and use heat shrink much better joint

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

sunchaser wrote: »
    Remove the crimps. Solder joints and use heat shrink much better joint

thanks - thats what I did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

If you don't want to be going back to fix failed crimps...

T-TOOL-1658-5__9-Hex-Series-Crimping-Tool-TU-230C.jpg
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd remove those crap crimps and replace them with proper good quality spade connectors with the clear waterproof covers.
    Crimp and run a little solder into the joint, that way they will guarantee the connection.
    I really can't stand those opaque red, blue and yellow crimps.
    You never know when they are properly crimped and they always seem to fall off at the worst time.

Never an issue when you do as Liam said , and use the correct crimper , I have a selection at this stage and they are the bees knees .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Never an issue when you do as Liam said , and use the correct crimper , I have a selection at this stage and they are the bees knees .
    I don't like those crimps for the reason that they aren't flexible and you cannot see the crimp.
    I have seen many instances of failure where the wire gets bent around the corner of the rigid plastic crimp and fails internally.
    I prefer bullet connectors with the clear plastic sleeve for this reason.
    I have a selection of crimpers as well, but I don't use those coloured crimps.
    I only use the clear sleeves
    Whatever works for you I guess, I just don't like them.

Crimping versus soldering is a very contentious issue gents. I've never had a solder joint fail on me in a camper but I never use them where flexibility is a requirement.
    My rule of thumb is electronics/components: solder.
    Power supply/switching/metering: continuous run or crimp.
    Mission critical: cable lug or screw terminal hard mounted with cable stress relief.

I've had crimps fail with this tool time and time again and much beard scratching has ensued.

wire-stripper-8162809.jpg

The crimping tool I posted earlier has never failed me and often when I rewire it's easier cut the crimp out rather than pull it apart with two angled needle nose pliers back to back.

You can always cut away the crimp plastic where the conductor enters the bucket and fill that with solder then heat shrink.

If one was to do it right you'd pull the whole core set and replace the conductors from start to finish.

I love bullet connectors, two female ones make an excellent in-line glass fuse holder...although they tend to break the fuse when you inspect them visually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement