Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tanning pills work?

• 30-11-2011 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I have ordered MyTan Bronze from this website. Has anyone tried it and does it work? It says it has beta-carotene and not canthanxantin, which was important for me because I've heard the latter can cause crystals to appear in your eyes (canthaxantin retinopathy) but that Beta Carotene is safe.

The company that makes MyTan Bronze says they are called BLife and lists and Irish address and contact details on their website. Is this a legitimate company?

I know some will say I should try fake tan but I have combination skin on my face so it ends up blotchy, muddy and flakey. I'd like to hear whether you or a friend tried tanning pills, whether they worked, and what the name of the pills was if you have it so I will know which to avoid and which might work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I used to be white now I'm neon. I did overdose though.

No it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I read something about them before. They turn you a weird looking colour apparently. More oranage than a brown colour.
    Never knowingly seen anyone who used them.
    I presume you're female. What is the obsession with fake tan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

*points and laughs*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I read something about them before. They turn you a weird looking colour apparently. More oranage than a brown colour.
    Nope I'm male. I'm not able to tan naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

My friend used them, he literally brightens up everywhere he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Colilfc wrote: »
    My friend used them, he literally brightens up every he goes.
    Did he use MyTan Bronze or some other make? I'd like to know which ones work and which don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Drink mass quantities of Sunny D, has the same effect.

Did he use MyTan Bronze or some other make? I'd like to know which ones work and which don't.
    None work, you'll look ridiculous.
    Just wait till you're away in a hot country to get a tan!

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Drink mass quantities of Sunny D, has the same effect.
    and it's actually true :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

Dunno, but he looks like a right twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I know a guy who uses them and he looks ridiculous. I think he gets tanning injections too..

OP go on a holiday mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

Beta-carotene in high quantities is not safe. It is fat-soluble and therefore cannot be discreted (ahem) in the usual way, with the tendency to build up in fatty tissues, especially the liver. I don't like the sound of the other 'natural' ingredients either. In any case, not enough studies have been conducted to ensure either the safety or the efficacy of such supplements. Why would you want to be a guinea-pig?! Throw the damn pills in the bin and embrace your outer pastiness!!

I'm taking away all your man cards too OP :p:D

I don't have personal experience with tanning pills but:

1. You're unlikely to turn tanned or brown, in fact as far as I know, the paler you are starting out, the more it looks like orange/yellow. Basically you can end up looking like you have a liver disease rather than a lot of holidays.

2. You shouldn't have been putting the fake tan on your face anyway. You're supposed to tan your body and use bronzer makeup to match your face to your body.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you're a smoker then beta carotene in supplement form has a proven track record of increasing the risks of cancer. If you drink as well the risk goes up again. They had to stop one study because early on they saw the effects. I'd imagine the dose in tanning products is gonna be even higher.

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/qa/2003/atbcfollowupqa

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If you grind the pills down, mix the powder with brown sauce, and slap the lot all over yourself, you'll get the desired look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I've heard pretty mixed responses about tanning pills. I'd say this would maybe be one for your doctor to decide and consider options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

So you'll be a ginger with a tan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are you one of the stars of Tallafornia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes they work but it looks really odd. When you get a tan your body doesn't look all the same colour. I have never seen people with a natural tan have their eye lids and palms of their hands tanned.

It turns ALL your skin the same colour which doesn't look natural.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why would an armless statue want tanning pills? Just get somebody to give you a coat of Ronseal?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

I pressume most people got that pm today about these tanning pills. The guy that sent it had over 500 posts though?

Here's what I got sent to me???????? spaaaaammmmmmmmm
    Hey just say your thread on Tanning Pills. Dude dont use them. They suck and end up turning you a jaundice colour.

You want Melanotan II. You can buy it online or get it off some places around Ireland. If you're near the Galway region, you can get em handy enough. €60 gets you the Melanotan II vial, Medical water, and 10 syringes.

Google Melanotan II. It's known as "The Barbie Drug" You will read all about it and find little or NO negative things about it. And it ACTUALLY WORKS! Everyone I know in Galway is using it and it genuinely works.

10 shots, once a day, and literally by shot 4/5 you're already getting dark.

This is the crowd I get em off: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...00002302328919

You can buy online aswell but they usually just sell the vials, so you end up getting the syringes and medical water yourself. Mail Keelan on that facebook page and he'll answer any questions you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought this thread was a joke when I read the title.

Taking a pill to turn a different colour is so ridiculous I don't know where to even begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Why the **** would you want to take potentially dodgy pills to look orange :eek:

If you want a tan, move somewhere there is a bit of sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Are these the ones Dale Winton and David Dickinson have been taking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
    I've got another puzzle for you

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

why do people do this to themselves, whats wrong with being white ? it takes a lack of brain cells to go to tanning beds / take pills like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Layer Nutella all over your face, it'll have basically the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What is the obsession with tanning? Your going to look stupid if you take these pills, they will turn you orange. My mother tried them once and regretted it because I spent two weeks laughing at the colour of her.

Even a natural tan doesn't look all that good on an Irish person, there's something odd and wrong looking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you're a smoker then beta carotene in supplement form has a proven track record of increasing the risks of cancer. If you drink as well the risk goes up again. They had to stop one study because early on they saw the effects. I'd imagine the dose in tanning products is gonna be even higher.

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/qa/2003/atbcfollowupqa

God, that is really scary. I'm sure half the eejits taking those tablets don't realise that.

Advertisement