Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Famine Books

• 05-05-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I'm just looking for ideas for books about the Great Famine. Preferably i'd like one that that doesn't get too bogged down in dates and numbers. Also if anyone knows of any fiction based during the famine would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

Mods sorry if this should be in the literature forums but i thought i'd get a better answer here.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Leon Uris wrote one about it.....er...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_%28novel%29

It goes past the famine into the 20th century but I think it's a good portrayal.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Walter Macken's 'The Silent People' - been a while since I read it, but I doubt if there's a lot of historical accuracy in it. Good read,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Cecil Woodham Smith's The Great Famine is probably the definitive book on the famine. It should be available in your local library. I read it years back. It's excellent.

On the subject of fictional treatment of the famine Joseph O'Connor's Star of the Sea deals with it as far as I remember. As does a couple of Walter macken's books as someone else said.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Thanks for the suggestions il look them up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭eire4

Another excellent book on the topic is Irish Hunger: Personal Reflections On The Legacy Of The Famine edited by Tom Hayden. It is a series of essays by Irish authors from various walks of life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Agree with above

Also "This Great Calamity The Irish Famine 1845-52" Christine Kinealy1994
    Gill and MacMillan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭eire4

nuac wrote: »
    Agree with above

Also "This Great Calamity The Irish Famine 1845-52" Christine Kinealy1994
    Gill and MacMillan

I have not read that one yet. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to put it on my to read list.

Advertisement