Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad for Primary teaching in St Pats??

• 20-01-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

Is this Postgrad being run this year. I have a degree in Business from Dcu and want to do this course or a course similar to this. I was working in Accounting but kept failing the exams and the whole Accounting/Tax world was getting to me in a big way.

I emailed the admissions on the St Pats website earlier. Is there certain requirments to get into this course? Am I too late to be applying? Would England be a better option/easier way to get qualified?

I got 470 in my LC and a B1 in Higher Level Irish in 2003 and am 23 if thats of any relevance to getting into one of the programmes!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

The course IS running this year, but you're too late to apply.
    The interviews were held last week (I think it was) & the places have already been allocated.

Another option is Hibernia, who have 2 intakes a year & interview on a continual basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Nervouspriest

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    The course IS running this year, but you're too late to apply.
    The interviews were held last week (I think it was) & the places have already been allocated.

Another option is Hibernia, who have 2 intakes a year & interview on a continual basis.

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I would be better off doing a one year course for Secondary as I don't think I would be able to bring myself to learning our beautiful language again!!

There is a few one year courses with the NUI Universitys and Trinity are doing a one year course. Do you know which is the best one to do? I might be late with my application, but I couldn't do anything about it as I was waiting on my tax results today, which were a big kick in the teeth...I am sure if I emailed the course heads their may be a chance of getting on to one of these courses probably in September 2010? I really don't have a clue as you can see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Sorry, can't help you there as it's Primary I'm doing myself.
    Don't know anything bout secondary, but best of luck with whatever you choose.
    (Oh, & the whole Irish thing isn't that bad. Coming from a person who relearnt it practically from scratch!!)

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Sorry, can't help you there as it's Primary I'm doing myself.
    Don't know anything bout secondary, but best of luck with whatever you choose.
    (Oh, & the whole Irish thing isn't that bad. Coming from a person who relearnt it practically from scratch!!)

Hopefully I will be able to get onto a one year post grad course in Sept 2010 in Secondary teaching. I have emailed a few of the course heads about my situation given that I think I have missed application deadlines by three weeks now..but I might fall into 'exceptional circumstances' as I couldn't apply until I received my results today.

If I can I will apply for a VISA and head down under or to the US for a few months.

Irish is what has thrown me off going down the primary school route. I have two many bad memories of poems like Brid Og Ne Mhaille I think it was called....and then there is the grammer uru's and sheabhu's - no thanks!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check your Business degree is on the approved qualifications list.
    As far as I know there is a quota applied for business graduates.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Check your Business degree is on the approved qualifications list.
    As far as I know there is a quota applied for business graduates.

Yeah its on the list - Approved subjects Accounting, Business and Economics.

The four NUI's do a one year course and Trinity. Do you know how many people would be on these courses? Do you have to do Interviews to get on these courses?

Very bad day all round for me....maybe I am jumping into this as my mind is all over the place today. I don't know my % breakdown, all I know is that I wasn't on the 'pass' list which was very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

the application website for the NUIs is www.pac.ie . Don't know if they have an extended deadline or not.

There's no interview for the NUIs. It's based on points.

Trinity have an interview.

DCU also do a part-time PGDE in secondary teaching but I think you have to be working in a school while you do it but I could be wrong on that

Google GTTR for the PGCE in secondary teaching in the UK. You'll probably still get into secondary there at this stage.

I think the University of Limerick do a graduate diploma in business secondary teaching....maybe

pathway33 wrote: »
    the application website for the NUIs is www.pac.ie . Don't know if they have an extended deadline or not.

There's no interview for the NUIs. It's based on points.

Trinity have an interview.

DCU also do a part-time PGDE in secondary teaching but I think you have to be working in a school while you do it but I could be wrong on that

Google GTTR for the PGCE in secondary teaching in the UK. You'll probably still get into secondary there at this stage.

I think the University of Limerick do a graduate diploma in business secondary teaching....maybe

Thanks,

The NUI's are based on Leaving Cert Points? Do you need a secondary school before you apply for a Hdip? I feel like I have missed the deadlines. Would they ever allow late applications due to certain circumstances? I emailed the teaching council and a few heads of the Post Grad courses earlier to see where I stand....

I will look into the UL grad diploma and the UK Post Grads. I think its generally easier to get in in the UK, isn't it?

Feel sick to the stomach tonight, failing my tax exams(still haven't got my % breakdown) and now potentially missing out on Hdip applications. God has it in for me:(

Thanks,

The NUI's are based on Leaving Cert Points?

noooooooooooo :eek:. The NUIs places are allocated by a points systems based on what percentage you got in your degree. There's points for other things as well like additional qualifications and teaching hours but the teaching hours is supposed to be 'done away with' next year I think

The UL deadline is Mid March for September 2010 applications so at least thats a bit of good news. Thanks for telling me about the UL course....

• Advertisement

Do you need a secondary school before you apply for a Hdip?

Apologies I don't know how to multiquote. Not for the NUIs anyway or Trinity College. If you are accepted onto the Secondary PGDE (new name for HDip) you may have to find your own school alright for teaching practice but thats after you get the place.

You probably do for Dublin City University

noooooooooooo :eek:. The NUIs places are allocated by a points systems based on what percentage you got in your degree. There's points for other things as well like additional qualifications and teaching hours but the teaching hours is supposed to be 'done away with' next year I think

I was wondering why they would refer back to the Leaving Cert...I don't have teaching hours, but I have passed a few ACA Accounting exams(this career is soul destroying) and got a decent honours degree.... At least UL's deadline is Mid March.

Hopefully I will get some good feedback off the people I emailed tomorrow. They should sense my urgency/panic/stress in my emails..

I think its generally easier to get in in the UK, isn't it?

Certainly with business subjects because of the quota here. You can see the difference between the points for a non-business PGDE and a business one on www.pac.ie

Apologies I don't know how to multiquote. Not for the NUIs anyway or Trinity College. If you are accepted onto the Secondary PGDE (new name for HDip) you may have to find your own school alright for teaching practice but thats after you get the place.

You probably do for Dublin City University

Ok,grand. So all I have to worry about with the NUI's is the application deadline, and whether they would accept late applications due to unforseen circumstances.

How competitive is it to get onto a Hdip programme in the NUI's or TCD?

Advertisement