Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what to do in Sydney

• 22-02-2015 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Will be in Sydney for 5 nights in June. What are the must do's there. At the moment we are thinking a trip to Blue Mountains - who is best to book with and what is the cost. Also a must is a tour to see the home and away beach - I know I will get people saying don't bother but I am a longtime fan and it is on my must see list - again which company to go with. What other things are there to do apart from general sightseeing? Money will be limited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I'd recommend just taking the train out to the Blue Mountains, can't remember how much it cost but It was a lot cheaper than the tour operators. Besides you get to look around the town of Catoomba and there's a bus that takes you out to the mountains from the bottom of town, we walked out(25 minutes or so), not to save money but just to look around. Train from Central station to Katoomba 17.50(looked it up for you).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

We visited in June too, weather was lovely T(t-shirt and cardigan during the day and jacket for the evening).. I'd also just recommend flitting about in the ferries, we were pleasantly surprised to land in Manly - nice people(not as Boganish as Bondi) had a lovely meal there and a walk along the beach before getting the Ferry back to Darling Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Will be in Sydney for 5 nights in June. What are the must do's there. At the moment we are thinking a trip to Blue Mountains - who is best to book with and what is the cost. Also a must is a tour to see the home and away beach - I know I will get people saying don't bother but I am a longtime fan and it is on my must see list - again which company to go with. What other things are there to do apart from general sightseeing? Money will be limited.

If you are going to the mountains and Palm beach you would be safer hiring a car for two days. Nothing flash required https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/car-hire-sydney.

Otherwise most things around are accessible around the city.

At that time of the year the Vivid festival is on, there's plenty to do for free mostly walking around looking at the land marks should fill in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MandiT

Yes, totally check out Vivid 2015, buildings lit up at night, it takes place around the general Opera House/Circular Quay area.

Apart from Manly which is great, check out the likes of Clovelly, Bronte, and Coogee beaches in the eastern suburbs. Smaller, but far nicer than Bondi! It might be winter when you're here, but on a sunny day the beaches are still great!

If you want something a little left of centre, take a wander along King st in Newtown (15 min bus ride approx from the CBD), stacks of great affordable family run restaurants there as well.

If money's limited buy a "MyMulti1" travelcard, $48 (adult fare), allows unlimited bus, train, and lightrail (tram) travel (but sadly not ferry) for 7 days, in the general Sydney metropolitan/city area, if you're moving around enough, you should get your money's worth after even 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Bring Rain Gear - Was there for 6 weeks from mid June 2009 and it rained for literally weeks on end -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Just looked at dates for Vivid and we will just miss it. We arrive on the 15th July. Anything else going on then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Just looked at dates for Vivid and we will just miss it. We arrive on the 15th July. Anything else going on then?

Christmas in July!!!! Hit up Katoomba in the blue mountains if you can (there may even be snow) or grab xmas dinner somewhere in Sydney.

The Winter Festival is due back this year too I think. Nothing like coming all the way over to Australia to go ice skating on Bondi Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Palm Beach...don't go on a weekend or a weekend with good weather unless you get there very early. 2 hour drive form the city and probably no parking if you get there late. To top it off....it's just a beach and the surf life club is a real surf club with an old battered rusty sign saying summer bay surf life rescue club. If thats what you are into...then do it. A better option is to drive up the central coast, check that out and get the ferry from Umina down to palm beach to see it and then ferry back to Umina. Umina is only about 90 mins north of Sydney. Ferry is maybe 30 mins tops to Palm Beach. You'll do 2 things for the price of 1 time wise.

Check out Groupon for Sydney too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Much cheaper to get the train to the blue mountains and have a look around yourself

Also recommend doing the Harbor bridge Pylon, great views and only around $15, harbor bridge walk is a rip off!

http://www.pylonlookout.com.au

Coogee is a lovely beach, walk from there to Bondi is a must!

Advertisement