Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from AIB => Ulster Bank

• 10-10-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    As title says. I need to transfer money from my AIB Account into a 3rd party Ulster Bank account tomorrow.

I can't do it online as I don't have a feckin' AIB Card Reader to set-up a new Payee (have one ordered though)

Is it just a matter of going to the counter in AIB with my Debit Card for that account and transferring to Ulster Bank giving the ac / sort code?

Also, how long do inter bank transfers take?

The sum is too large to withdraw in cash from AIB and then lodge into an Ulster Bank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Telephone banking? Otherwise, I guess you can apply for an interbank transfer (BACS, CHAPS, Swift etc) but I doubt many branches process them same day. Open to correction on this last point.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

As far as I know, the only way to get this transferred tomorrow in the branch is to fill out a Same Day Value form to make the payment, rather than using your debit card. There is a fee of about €25 for this and funds will be credited to the UB account by close of business on the same day. But it needs to be done in the morning as there is a cut-off time sometime around 12pm. And ideally you will need to go to the branch where your account is as this branch will need to process the payment - so there could be delays otherwise.

The best thing might be to wait for the card reader and do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

If you are transferring less than 5000 you can do it in the branch at one of those automated machines. I am in a similar situation transferring to KBC but you need to transfer full amount in one transaction not instalments. My options are bank draft which costs 1.90 takes 5 days to clear I think or the same day transfer for 25euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

roro2 wrote: »
    As far as I know, the only way to get this transferred tomorrow in the branch is to fill out a Same Day Value form to make the payment, rather than using your debit card. There is a fee of about €25 for this and funds will be credited to the UB account by close of business on the same day. But it needs to be done in the morning as there is a cut-off time sometime around 12pm. And ideally you will need to go to the branch where your account is as this branch will need to process the payment - so there could be delays otherwise.

The best thing might be to wait for the card reader and do it online.
    If you are transferring less than 5000 you can do it in the branch at one of those automated machines. I am in a similar situation transferring to KBC but you need to transfer full amount in one transaction not instalments. My options are bank draft which costs 1.90 takes 5 days to clear I think or the same day transfer for 25euro

I recently transfered from AIB to UB (KBC). I visited my own AIB branch at 12.20 and transfered the dough using the same day transfer form (paid €25). I needed to bring ID. At about 13.50 I got a phone call confirming the funds has been transfered.

It did however take nearly 2 weeks for UB and KBC to confirm that they had recieved funds - made for a very nervous couple of weeks. Try to get a copy of the tranfer form for your records. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

newbie2 wrote: »
    It did however take nearly 2 weeks for UB and KBC to confirm that they had recieved funds - made for a very nervous couple of weeks. Try to get a copy of the tranfer form for your records. Just in case.

The issue here is that the funds arrive at the recipient bank on the same day, but they go into a central "pot" and it is up to that bank to apply them to the correct account. This should happen seamlessly enough, but its where the delays can occur.

• Advertisement
Advertisement