Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Felexicon wrote: »
    According to one of the lads on the Kildare thread he was sitting with back room team

Definitely there alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Isn't it great to see Shameless Johnston doing a lap of honour around Croke Park, basking in the glory of a league title win in which he played such a massive part.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

Isn't it great to see Shameless Johnston doing a lap of honour around Croke Park, basking in the glory of a league title win in which he played such a massive part.

very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

He obviously feels part of the panel!! Maybe he was celebrating for the team instead of himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

It's the second time somebody has gatecrashed a team's celebrations in such a manner at Croke Park recently, after that fat lad who got onto the pitch after Dublin's All-Ireland victory. Although I think he was actually from Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

There was no lap of honour so quit talking through your hole.

It's the second time somebody has gatecrashed a team's celebrations in such a manner at Croke Park recently, after that fat lad who got onto the pitch after Dublin's All-Ireland victory. Although I think he was actually from Dublin.
    look at dublin hurling team not all dubs there mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

look at dublin hurling team not all dubs there mate

Why have Dublin Hurling been brought into this farce. Leave it out. The non Dublin born hurlers are actually working in Dublin and have the main place of residence there. The Seanie Johnston debacle is a different animal altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Bitter much?? There was no lap of honour, and why shouldnt he stand with the Kildare panel during the presentation, he has been training with them for weeks, have you a problem with the other members of the panel who didnt actually play on Sunday been part of the presentation??

Seems, like your namesake, you need to engage the brain before opening your mouth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Bitter much?? There was no lap of honour, and why shouldnt he stand with the Kildare panel during the presentation, he has been training with them for weeks, have you a problem with the other members of the panel who didnt actually play on Sunday been part of the presentation??

Seems, like your namesake, you need to engage the brain before opening your mouth ;)
    Couldn't give a hoot if Johnston wanted to stand with the panel when the presentation was happening. He could have whiped of his top to reveal a Kildare crest tattooed on his chest for all it would matter.

Still can't see why he would want a transfer to Kildare, as I don't think he'd start many games for them as they look to have much better forwards than him.
    At least in Cavan he was a medium sized fish in a puddle

Couldn't give a hoot if Johnston wanted to stand with the panel when the presentation was happening. He could have whiped of his top to reveal a Kildare crest tattooed on his chest for all it would matter.

Still can't see why he would want a transfer to Kildare, as I don't think he'd start many games for them as they look to have much better forwards than him.
    At least in Cavan he was a medium sized fish in a puddle

We have no idea really how good he could be, surrounded as you say by better players, and If McGeaney feels he has something to offer I would put more credence in that than what some randomer on the internet seems to think.

We have no idea really how good he could be, surrounded as you say by better players, and If McGeaney feels he has something to offer I would put more credence in that than what some randomer on the internet seems to think.
    Now take a breath and let the red mist clear I was only asking a question.
    I just don't see how he'd fit into Kildares system and was wondering what people who watch more Kildare football than me thought.
    But hey I'm just some internet randomer so why should I try to get an informed opinion on any subject

Now take a breath and let the red mist clear I was only asking a question.
    I just don't see how he'd fit into Kildares system and was wondering what people who watch more Kildare football than me thought.
    But hey I'm just some internet randomer so why should I try to get an informed opinion on any subject

Fair enough, my bad, it's just that the more this has dragged on the more people have started to question the guy's ability and tbh I think their judgement is been clouded by the whole saga and that alot of them dont agree with the whole bussiness of intercounty transfers. If Kildare have 8 better forwards (and that is what you need in a modern game) than Johnson then they really should have won more that what they have and I for one dont think they have 6 better forwards than him.

I didnt mean the randomer as an insult either apologies if it caused offence!!

Fair enough, my bad, it's just that the more this has dragged on the more people have started to question the guy's ability and tbh I think their judgement is been clouded by the whole saga and that alot of them dont agree with the whole bussiness of intercounty transfers. If Kildare have 8 better forwards (and that is what you need in a modern game) than Johnson then they really should have won more that what they have and I for one dont think they have 6 better forwards than him.

I didnt mean the randomer as an insult either apologies if it caused offence!!
    I can see him automatically stepping into panel to bench say but is he honestly better than our corner forwards? Seen him play a bit but not that much as Cavan are not on tv much!!

I can see him automatically stepping into panel to bench say but is he honestly better than our corner forwards? Seen him play a bit but not that much as Cavan are not on tv much!!

Well personally I think he is good enough to start but any way, you need to use 19/20 players in every championship game now, and he wouldnt be a bad sub to be bringing in!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was all in favour of the lad going and wishing him the best on his move but seeing these pictures is a hard pill for any Cavan man to swallow.

Why shouldn't he be there? He isn't even an official Kildare player yet. The transfer hasn't been allowed by headquarters yet. It doesn't show much respect for either his home club Cavan Gaels or his former county tbh.

He says he just wants to play football yet this is more of the media baiting that we've come to expect from him over the months. At this stage, I have little doubt that all the primamadonna stories I'm hearing are true.

There was absolutely no need for Johnston to be near the pitch on Sunday.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I was all in favour of the lad going and wishing him the best on his move but seeing these pictures is a hard pill for any Cavan man to swallow.

Why shouldn't he be there? He isn't even an official Kildare player yet. The transfer hasn't been allowed by headquarters yet. It doesn't show much respect for either his home club Cavan Gaels or his former county tbh.

He says he just wants to play football yet this is more of the media baiting that we've come to expect from him over the months. At this stage, I have little doubt that all the primamadonna stories I'm hearing are true.

There was absolutely no need for Johnston to be near the pitch on Sunday.
    This was my thinking on it at first aswell but when you look at McGeeney as a manager I don't think he'd put up with any horse**** that might disrupt the panel. Lets be honest about this Jonston needs Kildare much more than they need him.

Maybe there was no need for him to be near the pitch on Sunday but it made no difference that he was there

This was my thinking on it at first aswell but when you look at McGeeney as a manager I don't think he'd put up with any horse**** that might disrupt the panel. Lets be honest about this Jonston needs Kildare much more than they need him.

Maybe there was no need for him to be near the pitch on Sunday but it made no difference that he was there

I think McGeeney saw an opportunity and he's taking it. He's taken a good player who feels aggrieved about the way he was dropped by Cavan. What has McGeeney to lose? He's getting a very good player who has something to prove.

If it doesn't work out, McGeeney can drop him like a hot potato. I think it did make a difference that he was there. It shows they are obviously looking for the media attention and trying to use the media to push the transfer through.

It also shows that Johnston has very little or no respect for his former county and club team. I'm sure the lads who coached him at U8 and all the way up to senior weren't very happy watching him out on the pitch with Kildare.

• Advertisement

I think McGeeney saw an opportunity and he's taking it. He's taken a good player who feels aggrieved about the way he was dropped by Cavan. What has McGeeney to lose? He's getting a very good player who has something to prove.

If it doesn't work out, McGeeney can drop him like a hot potato. I think it did make a difference that he was there. It shows they are obviously looking for the media attention and trying to use the media to push the transfer through.

It also shows that Johnston has very little or no respect for his former county and club team. I'm sure the lads who coached him at U8 and all the way up to senior weren't very happy watching him out on the pitch with Kildare.
    Really? Do you think that's how the GAA works? If it was a case that media attention could push a transfer through the Eammon Fennell transfer a few seasons ago would have gone through on the second attempt.

What has McGeeney got to lose? Alot more than Johnston. He's built a team he and many others believe can challenge for the AI and any additions to or subtractions from that squad need to be well planned out.

Spot on Flexicon, it is the media attention and the fact that Seanie Johnson is a 'name' that has prevented the thing going through in the first place, I would love to see the figures for what % of intercounty transfers have been refused in the last 15 years, if he was going from Kildare to Cavan I bet it wouldnt be an issue either.

I personally dont like the idea of transfers in any shape or form except where absolutely necessary for logistical purposes but its the lack of consistency that is the injustice here. Hopefully some good will come from this and we will have new, stricter and more clearer criteria and rules in place next year, but alas I wont hold my breath.

Really? Do you think that's how the GAA works? If it was a case that media attention could push a transfer through the Eammon Fennell transfer a few seasons ago would have gone through on the second attempt.

What has McGeeney got to lose? Alot more than Johnston. He's built a team he and many others believe can challenge for the AI and any additions to or subtractions from that squad need to be well planned out.

I'm not saying I think its how it works, l'm saying its obviously how Seanie and McGeeney seem to think it works. Why else would they have had a national reporter down to take pictures and report on Johnston's first training session with St Kevins?

I disagree with your opinion. McGeeney has nothing to lose. You think people are going to look back at the end of the year and say adding Seanie Johnston to the panel lost Kildare an All-Ireland? Complete tripe.

As I said, McGeeney is getting a quality player with something to prove. At the same time, he can motivate his own lads by asking them if they want an "outsider" coming into their panel and taking their jersey. He can also motivate his own lads by saying they went close last year and now have an additional team member who has been described by Pat Spillane in the past as one of the best corner forwards in the country.

Johnston is the one left with nothing if McGeeney decides he's surplus to requirements or things aren't working out.

We're getting away from my original point anyway - that is that Johnston had no business being there and showed no respect to his former county or club. Would ye disagree?

I'm not saying I think its how it works, l'm saying its obviously how Seanie and McGeeney seem to think it works. Why else would they have had a national reporter down to take pictures and report on Johnston's first training session with St Kevins?

You have proof that either Johnson or McGeaney invited said journalist, or is it possible he was doing he's job and found out when and where they were training?

I disagree with your opinion. McGeeney has nothing to lose. You think people are going to look back at the end of the year and say adding Seanie Johnston to the panel lost Kildare an All-Ireland? Complete tripe.

As I said, McGeeney is getting a quality player with something to prove. At the same time, he can motivate his own lads by asking them if they want an "outsider" coming into their panel and taking their jersey. He can also motivate his own lads by saying they went close last year and now have an additional team member who has been described by Pat Spillane in the past as one of the best corner forwards in the country.

Johnston is the one left with nothing if McGeeney decides he's surplus to requirements or things aren't working out.

We're getting away from my original point anyway - that is that Johnston had no business being there and showed no respect to his former county or club. Would ye disagree?
    Where has it ever been stated that they orgainised the reporters for the training session. It was a big GAA story at the time and I would imagine that's why there were reporters there.

Also what happens if McGeeney loses the dressing room or players are visibly annoyed about something during the year that causes them to lose a game. You'd have to look at what has changed. The main factor would be a player with a disruptive past joining the squad and causing unrest. Also Johnston has nothing to lose. If McGeeney decides he doesn't need him he's in the same position he is now.

I hate this parochialism that is demanded of GAA players. Johnston was dropped by Cavan don't forget. What's he supposed to do in this situation? Sit around waiting for someone to change thier mind about what was clearly a personal decision as Cavan don't exactly have an embarresment of riches up front so I can't see it being an issue with his form at the time.

I do think you are spot on in the way it could work for McGeeney in terms of motivating the current squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

You have proof that either Johnson or McGeaney invited said journalist, or is it possible he was doing he's job and found out when and where they were training?

in fairness premierstone, you dont have to talk to media, and he gave a full interview. he could easily have refused and kept a low profile in the matter. plus he is also on record inviting the media to his "home" for a cup of tea.

bruschi wrote: »
    in fairness premierstone, you dont have to talk to media, and he gave a full interview. he could easily have refused and kept a low profile in the matter. plus he is also on record inviting the media to his "home" for a cup of tea.
    SO WHAT!!!!!!
    He can do whatever he wants and this in no way validates the point that he and McGeeney orgainised the reporters for the training session

Where has it ever been stated that they orgainised the reporters for the training session. It was a big GAA story at the time and I would imagine that's why there were reporters there.

Also what happens if McGeeney loses the dressing room or players are visibly annoyed about something during the year that causes them to lose a game. You'd have to look at what has changed. The main factor would be a player with a disruptive past joining the squad and causing unrest. Also Johnston has nothing to lose. If McGeeney decides he doesn't need him he's in the same position he is now.

I hate this parochialism that is demanded of GAA players. Johnston was dropped by Cavan don't forget. What's he supposed to do in this situation? Sit around waiting for someone to change thier mind about what was clearly a personal decision as Cavan don't exactly have an embarresment of riches up front so I can't see it being an issue with his form at the time.

I do think you are spot on in the way it could work for McGeeney in terms of motivating the current squad.

can I ask of you then, do you think every player who gets dropped by a county panel should shop around and try manouvere a transfer to another county who may be interested in using them? There are countless players who have been dropped who could easily make other county teams. Whats to stop them doing it? Or is this what you are in agreement with?

And take Sean Og. He was dropped for personal reasons too. I was highly critical of him and his courting of the media in the aftermath of that, but since last summer, he put the head down, trained hard, and is now back on the Cork team. The person involved with the Johnston decision is now not managing Cavan, so why couldnt he try make the team with a new manager, who has openly said he wouldnt be ruling him out.
    if Seanie goes back and starts playing and training with his club and starts playing some football, we can have a look at him then

bruschi wrote: »
    can I ask of you then, do you think every player who gets dropped by a county panel should shop around and try manouvere a transfer to another county who may be interested in using them? There are countless players who have been dropped who could easily make other county teams. Whats to stop them doing it? Or is this what you are in agreement with?

And take Sean Og. He was dropped for personal reasons too. I was highly critical of him and his courting of the media in the aftermath of that, but since last summer, he put the head down, trained hard, and is now back on the Cork team. The person involved with the Johnston decision is now not managing Cavan, so why couldnt he try make the team with a new manager, who has openly said he wouldnt be ruling him out.
    No I wouldn't be a huge supporter of players transfering between counties when they are dropped but in all fairness I won't pass judgement on Johnston in this case as I don't know about the fall out from him being dropped. His issues may not all lie at the previous managers door. Maybe he sought out the county board and they were unwilling to mediate in the situation. The point is he feels strongly enough to want to change counties and I'm sure thats not a decision any player takes lightly

• Advertisement

No I wouldn't be a huge supporter of players transfering between counties when they are dropped but in all fairness I won't pass judgement on Johnston in this case as I don't know about the fall out from him being dropped. His issues may not all lie at the previous managers door. Maybe he sought out the county board and they were unwilling to mediate in the situation. The point is he feels strongly enough to want to change counties and I'm sure thats not a decision any player takes lightly

and whilst I may agree with that sentiment, why does it mean then that he should be granted his transfer? I think its pretty clear that the whole set up of his house in Straffan is only to fulfill paperwork. he didnt "move" there because of personal situation, or because of work. It was soley so he could try get a transfer processed. Similar things happen at club level. I see it in Wexford where players try to move to another club and put in fake addresses or make some sort of move to try wrangle a transfer through. The fact it was played out in the media with Johnston made everyone aware of this.

Personally, I dont agree with it at all, as it can open up a whole situation where players can get transfers without preper reasoning. Someone petulantly mentioned the Dublin hurlers on here, but they were all living in Dublin for work or personal reasons before their transfers were processed. It happens, players do move counties for certain reasons. But this case is not like that, at all. And its pretty obvious too. Johnston is not hte only player in GAA history to be dropped in his prime because of disagreements with management. It is a common occurrance, same at club level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement