Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I've actually gone off using my slow cooker at the moment. I feel like everything in it is coming out tasting overcooked, even on low and even for less than 6 hours. The food gets stuck on the the bowl as well. :(

I've been given 5 lovely big chicken breasts in work (the joys of working for a food supplier!). Any nice chicken breast recipes for the slow cooker? Preferably ones that freeze well for work lunches!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

rawn wrote: »
    I've been given 5 lovely big chicken breasts in work (the joys of working for a food supplier!). Any nice chicken breast recipes for the slow cooker? Preferably ones that freeze well for work lunches!

I find that chicken breasts don't work in a slow cooker. They come out too dry.

Thighs on the other hand are great (and cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I second that re chicken breast. Try individual wrap in tin foil with some different flavours... lemon or garlic or Philly cheese. Have cold for lunch?
    Or freeze individually.... handy anytime for stir fry.... no need to fully thaw to slice finely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I sometimes do a shredded chicken in the slow cooker, similar to pulled pro or brisket. Dont have the recipe to hand but I make a homemade BBQ sauce and add the cb's and sauce to the slow cooker and cook on high for about 3-4 hours, I find that better than low for 8-10 hours as they dry out more that way.

When cooked through I removed them, shred them with two forks and add them back in with the sauce for another 30 mins.

Bish bash boom, awesome shredded bbq chicken!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

frag420 wrote: »
    I sometimes do a shredded chicken in the slow cooker, similar to pulled pro or brisket. Dont have the recipe to hand but I make a homemade BBQ sauce and add the cb's and sauce to the slow cooker and cook on high for about 3-4 hours, I find that better than low for 8-10 hours as they dry out more that way.

When cooked through I removed them, shred them with two forks and add them back in with the sauce for another 30 mins.

Bish bash boom, awesome shredded bbq chicken!!

I think I speak for us all when I say please post up your homemade BBQ sauce recipe please ;)

I think I speak for us all when I say please post up your homemade BBQ sauce recipe please

Yes! Please do this sounds perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I know its from some TV chef, will try dig it out when i get home this avo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I've actually gone off using my slow cooker at the moment. I feel like everything in it is coming out tasting overcooked, even on low and even for less than 6 hours. The food gets stuck on the the bowl as well. :(

hi. I picked up a few packets of disposable sheets Aldi are/were selling that line the insides of the slow cooker and they're great. 99c for a pack of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Loire wrote: »
    hi. I picked up a few packets of disposable sheets Aldi are/were selling that line the insides of the slow cooker and they're great. 99c for a pack of 5.

lidl & aldi often sell reusable silicone mats that would probably work. They are about 1mm thick and often have round shapes lightly embossed in them -this is so you can cut them to size with a scissors to match your round dish/powl/pan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Apologies if this has already been posted (too many pages to trawl through!) but Bia Maith have a great section on 7 Days Slow Cooker Dishes that can be prepped in an hour and frozen. Hoping the link posts correctly: http://biamaith.ie/recipe-view/684/

There's also a range of slow cooker recipes on the site.

Thanks for the tips, I will give that a try!

I tried a slow cooker pulled chicken recipe, off the top of my head it was

5 chicken breasts

Sauce:
    Ketchup
    Brown sugar
    English mustard
    Red wine vinegar
    Salt
    Smoked paprika
    Worcestershire sauce
    Dash of hot sauce
    Water (will probably omit this next time)
    - 4 hours on low with 2/3 of sauce ( my slow cooker might be running too hot though, it's on the fritz I think)

Removed and shredded chicken, returned to slow cooker on high for 20 mins.

Verdict: Really tasty, the flavour is all there, but the sauce is a bit thin. I won't add water next time and I think that will be perfect for me. My husband has demolished half of it already :D Sauce turned out really nice, I still have 1/3 of it bottled but it's quite thin, not much use as a dip.

Quick question: is it always necessary to brown mince before putting it in the slow cooker? I always have done but I'm wondering if there's much of a difference in taste/texture if i just add it raw? I'm making chilli con carne later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Quick question: is it always necessary to brown mince before putting it in the slow cooker? I always have done but I'm wondering if there's much of a difference in taste/texture if i just add it raw? I'm making chilli con carne later today.

Id personally brown it first, for much the same reason I only fry mince in small batches.

Just placing it in the slow cooker with liquid will stew/boil your mince. Personally I don't like that texture.

You merely need to colour the mince before throwing it into the slow cooker, five to ten minutes in the frying pan tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

fmpisces wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been posted (too many pages to trawl through!) but Bia Maith have a great section on 7 Days Slow Cooker Dishes that can be prepped in an hour and frozen. Hoping the link posts correctly: http://biamaith.ie/recipe-view/684/

There's also a range of slow cooker recipes on the site.

That's super!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I 'cooked' a round roast yesterday...3 hours on high, 3 hours on slow as I wanted it done by 4pm. Sitting on some veg with a glass of red wine.
    It didn't come out well. It was cooked alright but flaked a lot when being carved.

Any thoughts/advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

jay0109 wrote: »
    I 'cooked' a round roast yesterday...3 hours on high, 3 hours on slow as I wanted it done by 4pm. Sitting on some veg with a glass of red wine.
    It didn't come out well. It was cooked alright but flaked a lot when being carved.

Any thoughts/advice?

Don't buy round steak or roast.
    Imo there is no way to cook this cut without it being dry, tasteless and cardboardy. Even as mince it is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't buy round steak or roast.
    Imo there is no way to cook this cut without it being dry, tasteless and cardboardy. Even as mince it is awful.
    Really don't agree about the dry, tasteless bit - but we do cook roundroasts and housekeepers cut (never sure are they one and the same?) in plenty of beef stock?

We just live with the "shredded" beef to be honest as we do really like the taste of it done this way. My guess is that it has to be rested more to avoid it, but like I say, doesn't bother our household so haven't really experimented too much. We do seal it first, and that seems to make no difference to that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Aye, I sealed it too. Didn't rest it too long but not sure that would have made much difference.
    Did make a nice gravy from the juices/red wine which added a lot of flavour and moisture to the dry shredded beef!

I'm not going to give up on getting this done in the slow cooker. What cut of beef should I go for next time...sirloin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What cut of beef should I go for next time...sirloin?
    If we pay for sirloin, we normally just cook conventionally tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Made one with Housekeeper's before. Turned out well enough. It's a good cut for slow roasting but the quality needs to be right, same with round roast. I just made the experience to really seal it well and cook it slow. Very slow with enough juice. I think I cooked mine 8 or 9 hours on low the last time and for being so-so quality it turned out nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I got a pork hock on Saturday.. Huge big piece.. But of course it's all skin and bone, put a dry rub all over it and literally just chucked it in the slow cooker before I went to bed, no liquid, no browning.. Nada...
    It turned out really good next morning.. I took the skin and bone off put the meat in the fridge.. Then chucked some veg and water into the juice left in the crock pot, fired in some dried beans and let it cook out...
    Ended up feeding 2 adults and 2 kids as burritos.. And not much fat off it.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Any thoughts/advice?

I would cook for one hour on high.....or when steam starts escaping from lid, then remainder on low. I would seal meat first also and preheat veggies and some chopped tomatoes from tin for liquid. I add herbs and seasoning at end and thicken juice with some cornflour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

So called "sealing" the meat won't effect moisture or texture, it will only effect flavour and appearance. The idea that moisture is sealed in had been debunked as a long held myth, often perpetrated by chefs who should know better.
    Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Upast1990

I always like slow cooker recipes and it is the best time to cook a recipe in the slow cooker.

I made fudge in the slow cooker this week -YUM. Now tbh it doesn't *really* require a slow cooker and can easily be done in a pot I assume, but I always burn chocolate that way so gave this a try!

Can of condensed milk
    400g milk chocolate
    1 whole Terry's chocolate orange
    Large spoonful of butter
    A little hot water (around 100ml)

All added to slow cooker, uncovered, on high until melted and silky smooth (around 45 mins). Poured into lined tray and refrigerated overnight. Absolutely divine, can't wait to try different flavours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I made fudge in the slow cooker this week -YUM. Now tbh it doesn't *really* require a slow cooker and can easily be done in a pot I assume, but I always burn chocolate that way so gave this a try!

Can of condensed milk
    400g milk chocolate
    1 whole Terry's chocolate orange
    Large spoonful of butter
    A little hot water (around 100ml)

All added to slow cooker, uncovered, on high until melted and silky smooth (around 45 mins). Poured into lined tray and refrigerated overnight. Absolutely divine, can't wait to try different flavours!

Brilliant idea! Thanks for that, will give it a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

So I finally made beef stew in the slow cooker, turned out incredible and perfect winter warming food:

1kg round steak pieces
    2 large onions
    2 carrots
    3 cloves of garlic
    Handful of thyme
    Handful of parsley
    3 bay leaves
    1 can of Guinness
    140g tomato pureé (one of the little tins)
    Pinch of paprika
    Pinch of hot chili powder
    ~100mL water

Nice and simple:
    Fry the beef in batches quickly just to brown the edges.
    While you're frying, chop up the onions, garlic, and carrots
    Once you have al the beef browned, throw the lot, along wit hthe chopped veg and herbs into the pot and fry away for about 10 mins.
    Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high (not low) for about 6 - 7 hours.

Delicious rich thick stew awaits!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Anyone notice things that do or don't work in the slow cooker?
    I've sometimes had a problem cooking spuds in a stew, they just stay hard....
    Recently threw some unsealed navy beans into the slow cooker with a pork shank, (the packet said no need to soak so I didn't), and came out perfectly, cooked in meat juices...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anyone notice things that do or don't work in the slow cooker?
    I've sometimes had a problem cooking spuds in a stew, they just stay hard....
    Recently threw some unsealed navy beans into the slow cooker with a pork shank, (the packet said no need to soak so I didn't), and came out perfectly, cooked in meat juices...
    I think you are better off to cook the potatoes separately . The stews are nicer that way .

Advertisement