Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield?

Options
  • 15-05-2006 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Sorry now this might sound stupid but is Battlefield
    a good game?

How do ya get it is it on a disc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Aww, thats so cute.

Battlefield is a great game in many ways. It is also kinda buggy and has some outright failings. Overall its very enjoyable.

You can buy it on disc (and then patch heavily), or I think theres a download option? Or has Steam confused me?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Look it up on play.com

You get it on a DVD.

See if you can still download the demo to test if your PC is able to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

(i) Download the demo (hefty 500MB or thereabouts) & install

(ii) Prep your PC
    clean registry + scandisk + defrag
    stop non-essential threads at startup (use services.msc or msconfig)
    upgrade your gfx driver(s)
    optionally add RAM if you got 512 or less

don't forget to kill all non-essential threads before running the demo (use services.msc or CTRL-ALT-DEL, second tab)

(iii) Prep the demo

(a) For multiplayer/singleplayer (MP/SP):
    make it a high-priority app (Google it, quite simple, with a *.bat file)
    rename BF2.exe to BF21.exe (to stop ossible ATi gfx card conflict)
    rename *.bik movie files to *.bikky (quicker demo start)
    optionally add bots for SP mode (Google it, tweak the AIdefault.ai file) if your PC can handle it

(b) For SP only (do NOT try MP if you do the following - back your files instead and replace them as and when)
    same as above plus-
    tweak the files to get the first unlock in each class (Google it, and below)
    tweak the files to add tickets
    tweak the files to remove 12-minutes time limit
    download the Oman 64 SP map to play "the big map" with jest/helos/etc. in SP mode

(iv) enjoy & go buy the game

A tad comprehensive, I know, but I did want to post this someplace as a backup of sorts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well id say i might be the freshest user, playing bf2 little over a week, its amazing. I think the stats is a very nice feature giving you a sense of achievement and not jsut 30 mins of map fun, its a very good game but can be annoying that it takes ridiculous amounts of bullets to kill players.

AS a long time high skilled cs player im use to kinda jsut a few bursts to take an enemy out, i find bf2 very unrealistic that it can take a full round of ammo to take down an enemy at point blank range, and pistols are like water guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

AS a long time high skilled cs player im use to kinda jsut a few bursts to take an enemy out, i find bf2 very unrealistic that it can take a full round of ammo to take down an enemy at point blank range, and pistols are like water guns.

I've never found that. Perhaps you need to be a bit more ultra leet high skilled? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Zillah wrote:
    I've never found that. Perhaps you need to be a bit more ultra leet high skilled? :rolleyes:

Noooo, its quite true. Weapons in BF2 are like throwing spitwads at the enemy. You can unload on people for ages and do nothing, even in ironsights. CS:S all you need is one well placed bullet to the head and youve got em.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cobrophy

I dont really find it a problem. In fact I think it adds to the game since it makes health packs useful and you don't die as quickly.

Of course it's not realistic but BF2 has never claimed to be or wanted to be a sim so that doesn't bother me. The people who complain about it not being realistic bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 {DoWUK}Mossie

if u want one shot kills use a sniper:p

mond you i have been getting absolutely murdered by people lately using the g3 got killed loads of times with one shot. . .or wat seems to me like one shot, some people are just class with it

worst thing eve happened to me yesterday i was in a tank in karkand and tried to run over some dude but somehow he dint die so i chenged to the mounted mg ont op of the tank and within a split second teh dude dropped to teh ground rolled over adn shot me once!! dead! and to make it worse robbed me tank and killed me about 20 more times in it:eek:

so it you can get single shot kills or at least a kill in one short burst, you just need practice and to be really good:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 Navy Seals

is the new game really that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

How did you manage to resurrect a 2006 thread ? Ha go into the battlefield hardliner or 4 thread and ask

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,062 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Navy Seals wrote: »
    is the new game really that good?

Which new game? There's been a couple since you went and dug up an 8 year old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement