Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Bannon and Extensions

• 25-03-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi. Was at the design fair in Sandyford at the weekend and listened to a talk by Dermot Bannon who stated that a ground floor rear extension with full fit out should be achievable in this day and age with a ball park figure of between 800-1000 euro per square metre.
    Is this a realistic costing?
    I understand quite a number of things can go wrong but if that did not happen is this accurate? Am interested in your views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Burner13 wrote: »
    Hi. Was at the design fair in Sandyford at the weekend and listened to a talk by Dermot Bannon who stated that a ground floor rear extension with full fit out should be achievable in this day and age with a ball park figure of between 800-1000 euro per square metre.
    I understand quite a number of things can go wrong but if that did not happen is this accurate? Am interested in your views.
    Cant see it myself. Not fitted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Burner13

Thanks for reply. What in your own opinion would be a ball park figure for a 40 sq metre extension, without kitchen and say floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

due to my game being called off on sat i was dragged along to this event. the price you quoted above was for a renovation. the price he quoted for an extension was 1300e - 1600e per square meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks for reply. What in your own opinion would be a ball park figure for a 40 sq metre extension, without kitchen and say floors.
    Well if no kitchen and floor finishes, he is not a million miles away but I wouldnt call that fitted out.
    1300 is more realistic alright.

I saw that figure being mentioned but was of the opinion that was for a new build. 1000 euro per square metre for a renovation... Ouch!!. Thanks for your reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

I saw that figure being mentioned but was of the opinion that was for a new build. 1000 euro per square metre for a renovation... Ouch!!. Thanks for your reply

huge price for a renovation alright. getting a 22 sm extension done at the back of the house next month. have been quoted 18k for the build. bi-fold doors etc add to the cost. going to allow 30k for a complete finish with new appliances, under floor heating, new kitchen etc.

Thanks for that . Interesting!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

How long is that piece of string yet again.

I suppose to start with, what is in the extension? How much glass are you including, Are their bi-fold doors, what type of ceiling, what type of rooflights, what wall finish, what level of insulation, what floor finish, what plumbing spec, Is the current boiler capable of heating additional radiators, what type and size kitchen (€5k or €25k?), standard or granite countertop, is there a kitchen at all, downlights or a single light, 4 power sockets or 15?, need I go on............

The specification of the items required, the size and shape of the design, the height and structure of the design, the standard and quality of finish is what dictates the cost of a build. Global rates per m2 are really a very simple type of guide but they can vary wildly depending on the above.

Advertisement