Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Android Phone

Options
  • 01-03-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am buying a new Android phone (coming from iPhone 5C) and have a budget of 450 euros. I was looking at the HTC One M8 or LG G3 as they are cheap on Amazon but I was wondering which one would be best.

Also I am on Three's network and I was wondering if it's ok to buy a US unlocked version or German phone off amazon.de and amazon.com as the prices are more expensive on amazon.co.uk
    (I DON'T WANT THE ONEPLUS ONE)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Well i just came from the iphone 5 to the htc m8 and loving it.Traded in iphone and lots of other stuff to cex :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

get a oneplus one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4/Note perhaps? Or a Nexus 5 or 6. After that I think the LG G3 and HTC One M8 are probably your best bets.

ZOPO ZP 999 is another to look at, or the newest Huawei (I've forgotten the name, sorry. Honour 6 perhaps)

If the screen size is your issue with the OPO then that rules out a lot of what I've mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4/Note perhaps? Or a Nexus 5 or 6. After that I think the LG G3 and HTC One M8 are probably your best bets.

Both the LG G3 and the m8 are better phones than the nexus 5.

OP, is it possible to hold off for two months as phones prices will come down as new phones are released?

You won't go wrong with either phone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Both the LG G3 and the m8 are better phones than the nexus 5.

OP, is it possible to hold off for two months as phones prices will come down as new phones are released?

You won't go wrong with either phone.

Negligible between the Nexus and HTC with the pricing difference. Though, as you say, can't go wrong with LG or HTC.

The M8 won't be dropped until a few months after the M9 is out, and the G3 is £100 sterling cheaper on Amazon, I don't know how that'll go down if you're buying brick and mortar OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 puresoundcloud

Umi Zero? 5" Super amoled screen made by samsung, same as in the S5. Its a nice looking phone, slimmer that iphone6. My mates selling one?, in fact its only in customs now, he'll ahve it in a few days.

Check out the Mi Note and Honour 6 has a great camera i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Corkman64

Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I''l hold off until prices start to go down after the release of the m9. Any clue on when they will start to go down?

Also the only things holding me back from buying these phones are:

HTC: the ultra pixel camera. Is it good quality?

G3: I read reviews saying things about the UI being laggy and stuttering?

Has anyone experienced one of these issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mememo

The ultra pixel camera is not really that good for anything except standard photos they abandoned it on the new M9 which looks great but no really comprehensive reviews are out yet . The G3 is not that laggy it was one of the first phones with a 1440p screen so it has a few first gen bugs while the screen is fantastic its a battery hog and its brightness is not that great compared to other phones after seeing my friends i kept my G2 for another generation

The ASUS zenphone 2 really looks interesting for the price

If your interested in the HTC M9 Erica Griffin just posted a really comprehensive first look on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflyt_AtK84 in fact if you want to look up any phone she posts insanely detailed reviews some are over an hour long which is insane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

mememo wrote: »
    If your interested in the HTC M9 Erica Griffin just posted a really comprehensive first look on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflyt_AtK84 in fact if you want to look up any phone she posts insanely detailed reviews some are over an hour long which is insane

She time codes the video as an index so you can jump to the bit you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Phantasos

Can I ask a semi-relevant question while we're discussing new phones? What are the cheapest and most reputable places online to buy a new android phone?

I've looked at amazon but it's hard to know if it's trustworthy enough? Will I be charged tax for buying these phones from another country?

Phantasos wrote: »
    Can I ask a semi-relevant question while we're discussing new phones? What are the cheapest and most reputable places online to buy a new android phone?

I've looked at amazon but it's hard to know if it's trustworthy enough? Will I be charged tax for buying these phones from another country?

The cheapest place at the moment is Amazon de (Germany) and no since its inside the EU you don't get charged tax . Just make sure you get the phone from Amazon themselves and not a 3rd party seller using the site and you will be fine they very reliable

If I am buying off amazon.de is it ok to buy it off a seller with 95%+ positive reviews and they will ship to Ireland and will the only difference be the wall adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Get a bill and a Note 4?

Corkman64 wrote: »
    If I am buying off amazon.de is it ok to buy it off a seller with 95%+ positive reviews and they will ship to Ireland and will the only difference be the wall adapter?

Personally I would no go below 97% and even then they would have to have over 5000 sales i would also check out the seller outside Amazon to see if they are a company or just a private seller Amazon have a fantastic return policy but they can be poor when dealing with 3rd party sellers.

Is the Moto X(2014) as good as the htc one m8 or g3

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

Im on Three. Upgraded from an S3 to a Note 4 for 180 euro (+ trade in of S3 worth 130). 2 year contract at 45/month for 350min/700 texts and unlimited data. Phone is amazing and Three network is very good. Highly recommend Bill and a Note 4 with any carrier that does unlimited data !!

Decided to get a HTC One M8 off amazon germany (got it for 430 incl. delivery). It should be coming in the next few days. Seems like a fantastic phone and I can live with the low res camera

Decided to get a HTC One M8 off amazon germany (got it for 430 incl. delivery). It should be coming in the next few days. Seems like a fantastic phone and I can live with the low res camera

OnePlus One was dropped to €299 through the Irish site tonight if its not too late :O

• Advertisement

Great choice the front facing speakers make a world of difference when viewing any video content and if you don't like thesense UI you can just use nova launcher to make the phone look and feel any way you like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

OnePlus One was dropped to €299 through the Irish site tonight if its not too late :O

The oneplus was always €299 though?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The oneplus was always €299 though?

No it used to be about €370

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

No it used to be about €370

Oh right my mistake, by always I meant since I started paying attention!

Advertisement