Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Steve Buscemi the greatest actor ever?

Options
  • 06-02-2011 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Just been watching Boardwalk Empire. That man is a legend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

He's an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Still trying to figure him out in Boardwalk. He freaked me out a small bit in Ghost World though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jonnieonathan

Feeona wrote: »
    He's an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Still trying to figure him out in Boardwalk. He freaked me out a small bit in Ghost World though

Ha! Ghost World! Had totally forgotten about that! A debut for a certain Scarlett Johansen, if i remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

"No." That's the first thing you've said in the last four hours. That's a, that's a fountain of conversation, man. That's a geyser. I mean, whoa, daddy, stand back, man. ****. You know I'm sittin' here drivin', doin' all the drivin', man, the whole ****in' way from Brainerd, drivin', just tryin' to chat, you know, keep our spirits up, fight the boredom of the road, and you can't say one ****in' thing just in the way of conversation? Well, **** it. I don't have to talk either, man. See how you like it. [Pause] Just total ****in' silence. Two can play at that game, smart guy. We'll just see how you like it. Total silence.

I have always loved Steve. Honestly one of my favourite actors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The greatest actor ever?

You're out of your element with an exaggeration like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jonnieonathan

The greatest actor ever?

You're out of your element with an exaggeration like that.

You're out of your element, DJonny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Why is this worth a thread outside of the Boardwalk Empire one, let alone the fact besides it he is a film actor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Syferus wrote: »
    Why is this worth a thread outside of the Boardwalk Empire one, let alone the fact besides it he is a film actor?

A film AND tv actor, another attempt to kick up drama...you diva! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wasn't that mad about Boardwalk Empire

But to address the thread title, loved this scence, have watched it countless times

Great acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

He's certainly up there with the best of them. Loved him in "Fargo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

his greatest role was crazy eyes in mr.deeds :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

He is a good actor but he's not even the best actor on Boardwalk Empire. The guy that plays Jimmy is great, And the guy that plays Al Capone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There's many actors who could be replaced by another actor in a role and nothing would change.

Buscemi is one of those actors that you can't replace, completely unique. Wouldn't call him the greatest but certainly up there with great actors, would watch him in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not greatest but still great.
    Loved him in Trees Lounge but there are so many many films from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I liked him in Pulp Fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Is Steve Buscemi out of Waterboy too?

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    And the guy that plays Al Capone too.

Yeah he's fantastic. One of the reasons I bothered to watch Boardwalk Empire in the first place was because he was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

dont forget him in 30 rock as jack donaghys private investigator!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    He is a good actor but he's not even the best actor on Boardwalk Empire. The guy that plays Jimmy is great, And the guy that plays Al Capone too.

I'd agree with Stephen Graham as Capone but Michael Pitt as Darmody for me is a weak link in the ensemble performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Buscemi is fantastic in Boardwalk Empire, you have to hand it too him it can't be easy playing an all powerful lothario when you look like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

He's excellent. Great in Boardwalk Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ive been saying it for years that he will be remembered as one of the great imo.

Ever since Resevoir Dogs, through Fargo and The Big Lebowski he has been top of my list.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHccRN2RaQ

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Very underrated alright, a great actor for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Loved him in Ghost World. He wasn't creepy, just unusual.

He was certainly creepy in Con Air... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Not to forget he managed to fit a stint back in the New York Fire Dept after 9/11 in between all those great movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Why is everyone forgetting him in Con Air and Armogeddon? Claaaaaaaaaics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Greatest actor ever?
    Seriously - not even close. He is good at quirky characters where his high pitch voice and quirky looks makes him either comedic or psychotic.
    Someone will prove me wrong, but is this his first real lead role?

Your doing a great disservice to truely great actors - Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Why is everyone forgetting him in Con Air and Armogeddon? Claaaaaaaaaics!

He was unreal in Armogeddon, very funny. Riding the nuke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9YYbrZ4whY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

MaceFace wrote: »
    Your doing a great disservice to truely great actors - Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro.

At the risk of going off-topic, I wouldn't consider him a true great! He's incredibly intense etc, but save for American Psycho, haven't seen him show much charisma in a movie at all. Maybe a small tint of it is evident in Bruce Wayne's character but not nearly enough! I really hope he does something more "lively" soon (no, not a rom-com)

On Buscemi, he's great to watch! No, not the best ever, but I've never seen a performance of his and not been interested. Mr Pink would probably be my favourite so far, but Enuch isn't shaping up too badly from what I've seen. He's just fun to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 84,982 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I loved him in The Wedding Singer :o

I always thought he was an very underrated decent actor and now he finally has a role that will bring him to everyone's attention and he can ripe the rewards and in his case awards. He is great in Boardwalk Empire as is Michael Shannon.

Advertisement