Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Card Game | Feedback wanted please

• 23-03-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Irish25s.com

http://www.irish25s.com

Looking for feedback on the look and usability of the site. I tried to follow the style that is normally associated with poker games (green background etc.) but not sure if it is too much?

I added a "getting started" section as I wanted people to be able to play the game quickly without too much reading! Would you be able to play a game after viewing that section? And for those that know the game, does it play well? it's quite hard to catch bugs for an online multi-player game with one person!

Also it uses twitter bootstrap so the site should scale down well on mobiles but I'm a limited in my testing resources on that front, so if any mobile users could check it out and note any errors that would be appreciated.

The site is still in beta so things are constantly changing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cathal Healy

Hire a graphic designer. That green needs to get broken up and your content (of which you need more) needs to be moved into tighter blocks with specific purpose. So the list needs to be in its own discrete visual block, with the buttons separated out into their own visual block. This does not mean have an actual block with borders or anything like that, but just that the area they are in are separated from other content by colour, borders OR white space.

Your hovers in the nav shouldn't change the colour to black, because it produces a black on green which is not nice. The nav should be float to the right of your 960 container to provide better balance on screen and give better eye flow.

I'd dump that green. It's too green, too much of a primary colour. Look for a green that is of a similar shade but less intense. Familiar to players but not in their faces. Either have a green background with white visual blocks or white background with green blocks (I'd recommend the latter). Introduce more colours, at least one other active colour for hover effects and heading colours. Use tools like kulur.com to find other colours that complement your green that you may never have thought would go together.

If you are doing the design yourself, check out dribbble.com to see the latest trends and get an appreciation for how good, good design looks. (ie. it can be worth it to get a good graphic designer)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 feelyd

Excellent site, just tried to logon with Google and got an issues.

Logged on with twitter , works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 25cardgame

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've made some changes to the site and I think it looks much better than before. I toned down the green and added some more structure to the home page. I kept the solid background colour though as I didn't like the green on white, maybe that is just me, but I like the clean style it presents. I did however add some borders to direct the users attention.

I added some more colour to the page and I think the green and gold really fit well together. I also fixed the G+ bug so thanks for checking that out!

I also added a game status indicator so you can see if a game has started or not and also the number of people spectating a game.

Again, any feedback is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

I love the idea. I absolutely love it. In fact, it was always on the back of my mind if I had some spare time to set this up I would try it. I love a game of cards but with small kids don't get a chance to get out and play it much. 45 would be the big game around here. I also would have played a lot of 110 (another spin-off of the same) in college

Firstly a problem - The site has currently crashed. I signed up and was messing around with starting a game and the whole thing kinda went belly up. When I join a game and click "Sit" I get a popup message saying "Disconnected". Then after trying 2 or 3 times the site crashes

Apart from that, my few suggestions

Give an option to play 45 as well. From reading your rules, the only differences between 45 and 25 are a) Obviously in 45 - You play to 45 and b) In 45 you get double for best trump. So when you are adding up the scores at the end of a hand, whoever had the best trump in the hand gets 10.

Possibly also give an option to play 110. There would be a small bit more work in it. But the essential rules in terms of card values and scores are the same.

Give an option to play doubles - I don't know if this is a thing in 25 but most games of 45 would be played between 3 pairs. (Although it can be played in singles too)

Given that the site is new and numbers of visitors to it are probably fairly low - Could you setup some kind of a system where you could organise a game between players. So you could arrange, we'll play tonight at 9 pm or something like that.

Lastly - While it goes without saying that you have to fix the bugs and have the site stable - I wouldn't loose too much sleep about how good or bad the site looks (as long as it is not horrific). I would try and spend more time getting traffic to the site as that will be the making and breaking of it.

Either way. I hope it takes off. I have registered and if it gets the players I'll be a regular visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 25cardgame

Hi BnB,

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks for checking the site out!

And thanks for the great feedback you have provided. I have fixed the disconnect issue which was due to some packages being set to auto update leaving the site broken when someone started a game.

Good news, I have taken a look at the rules of 45 and it seems pretty easy to implement with the existing site, so I have added the functionality to create and play 45 games, just select "45" in the game mode dropdown when creating a new table. Please take a look.

I will also take a look at incorporating the game 110 if there is demand for it.

Yes, teams (of to 3 people) are in the planning and I want to it implement soon (25's is also played in teams of 2 and 3 people).

As for scheduling games, I think groups of players can agree to login to the site at a specified time and play games or else play with random people who are already online. However, there is a facebook page and twitter account that people can use to find other players and organise sessions. Although uptake in followers is low... Also, I plan to implement tournaments for players to win prizes, although I haven't figured out the details of that yet.

The site is still in beta and there lots of features I want to implement. I am currently working on mobile versions to integrate with the site which should hopefully boost traffic and increase the popularity of the site.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

• Advertisement
Advertisement