Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan recycling centre

• 11-04-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Had the not so great pleasure at this venue today.
    In terms of local authority spending my understanding is the council run this recycling with its own staff?
    Biggest waste of money are the three council louts running the recycling centre. Tried to walk in with two gallons of waste oil and they insisted I drive in and pay the 3 euro just for the two cans of oil. I would pay the 3 euro but having seen the 3 p****ks sitting on their ass in the office at 10am I made a consious choice and said no.

Am I not entitled to walk into this facility to deposit recyclables as above?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The recycling centres in Meath are a bugbear of mine as most here probably know. Meath Co. Co. have totally copped out of their responsibilities with regard to recycling, and have outsourced the whole lot to Oxigen instead of running them themselves.

If you look at the different centres in Dublin on that site, you'll see there's no cover charge. Kildare Co. Co. seems to be the other other council who let Oxigen charge in (€2.25 a time). The three Meath centres are €3 a visit.

Charging people for recycling is not going to encourage recycling. Most people pay an annual fee for their bins, why should they not just feck everything in there when they've already paid for it? Personally I don't like the thoughts of filling my waste bin with recyclables, so I try to gather as much as I can before making a trip down to the Trim centre and paying in, but it's a pain having to store a load of stuff rather than being able to drop down bit by bit. A lot of people would just feck it all in the bin, and not worry about the environment - and maybe people who don't have the space to store a load of recyclables would be in this situation.

I previously lived in D15 and the local centre in Coolmine was council run. Great setup, free in and helpful staff - it was how a recycling centre should be run, not like these half-arsed setups that Oxigen are running and charging people in for. The lads down in Coolmine would just get you to leave stuff like used engine oil on a table and they would look after it, the old filters, the containers etc.. Trim is a joke, they won't take old filters - "bring it to a garage" the guy told me in there! :rolleyes: Yeah that'll go down well - "I service my own car so don't give you money, but could you dump my used oil filters for me please?". Trim also wouldn't take the used oil containers from me (recyclable plastic). They pick and choose what they will and will not take.

I also think that the Oxigen centres need to print proper receipts from a till for every bit of extra cash they get from us (for dumping large items etc.) as the hand-written receipts and lack of a till do nothing to instill confidence that the cash is going to Oxigen rather than in someones' pocket.

Big fail from Meath Co. Co. on their little deal with Oxigen. Half-arsed outfits run by jobsworths imo. Get used to more and more illegal dumping folks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Many thanks PauloMN, agree fully that all items paid for at these recycling centres should have a proper receipt. I went on the county council website and the charges are vast and ripe for money going into pockets other than the councils.
    http://meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Environment/Recycling/ scroll down for some eye watering prices.

Most items , metals, oils, recyclables are commodities and should be free to recycle. Those items listed for charges are not recyclables.
    Will wait and visit a free recycling centre in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Never had any issues with the staff there, generally they are pleasant and helpful that said I do think you have to pay the charge regardless of whether you want to walk or drive in.

Perhaps I will use the Kwaker and amble around the barrier!

Sorry, but the staff are lazy and there is obviously a cash element somewhere in it for them. They could have said okay but next time.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

Having a flat fee charge to drive in is a joke in these places. You could have a huge trailer full of stuff or just a small bag with some bottles, yet you are both charged €3! Recycling cans/bottles/clothes should be free, as it is in other places. I understand having a charge for larger items (e.g. old washing machines or TVs)! Then again, places like D.I.D will take an old TV from you for free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You've already paid for recycling of your large electrical items chewed, it is charged in the purchase price - so all electrical items are free-of-charge to recycle, even large white goods like fridges, washers etc.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/recycling_waste_from_electrical_and_electronic_equipment.html

Actually I wonder if there's a case to be brought against recycling centres that charge €3 in when you are only disposing of electrical items....

Agree that the flat fee is ridiculous though. I really think for stuff like recycling, there should be a national policy, and not different rules in each county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

The recycling centres in Drogheda & Dundalk are privately run too, they charge €2 entry (extra for trailers with garden clippings).

But there is a sign at the entrance which says to contact staff if you're only recycling electricals - I'm assuming that you get in for free if that's the case (as Paulo said, the WEEE charge covers recycling anyway), although I've never done it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Paulo and Agent are spot on.

This is a huge bugbear of mine too.

When the council first opened that centre in Navan... there used to be tailbacks on a saturday going into it and it was fantastic to see so many people using it. I myself used it at least once a week and there was even times when people (me included) actually took thing out of electronics bins to bring home to repair! (with permission of course).

I remember a few years back when they started charging €2 and then like said Oxigen took over the running of it and it went up recently to €3! :eek:

Whoever in Meath coco who thought up the idea to charge and then contract out the operation should be thought management and operation skills.

Edit: also as earlier stated, the lads that "work" in the navan centre have the easiest jobs in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

I only go there if its electricals and other things i cant throw out in my bin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I don't go there at all now. Fit everything into the AES recycling bin no matter what and let them deal with it. On principle I will not pay another fee having paid for WEEE items and for an item that is recyclabe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

PauloMN wrote: »
    You've already paid for recycling of your large electrical items chewed, it is charged in the purchase price - so all electrical items are free-of-charge to recycle, even large white goods like fridges, washers etc.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/recycling_waste_from_electrical_and_electronic_equipment.html

Actually I wonder if there's a case to be brought against recycling centres that charge €3 in when you are only disposing of electrical items....

Agree that the flat fee is ridiculous though. I really think for stuff like recycling, there should be a national policy, and not different rules in each county.

Is it not the shop you pay it to that has to recycle it for you?

MagicSean wrote: »
    Is it not the shop you pay it to that has to recycle it for you?

Yes, they have to provide a swap kind-for-kind service if you buy a new appliance from them. But also:
    Civic Amenity Sites

Consumers may bring items of electronic and electrical equipment to Civic Amenity sites to dispose of them free of charge. Civic amenity sites are places where all sorts of recyclable material can be delivered and sorted by consumers and are run by local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

I bought a new TV in D.I.D. a few weeks back and they said they'd take my old TV at no cost to dispose of, even though I never bought it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

PauloMN wrote: »
    The recycling centres in Meath are a bugbear of mine as most here probably know. Meath Co. Co. have totally copped out of their responsibilities with regard to recycling, and have outsourced the whole lot to Oxigen instead of running them themselves.

If you look at the different centres in Dublin on that site, you'll see there's no cover charge. Kildare Co. Co. seems to be the other other council who let Oxigen charge in (€2.25 a time). The three Meath centres are €3 a visit.

Charging people for recycling is not going to encourage recycling. Most people pay an annual fee for their bins, why should they not just feck everything in there when they've already paid for it? Personally I don't like the thoughts of filling my waste bin with recyclables, so I try to gather as much as I can before making a trip down to the Trim centre and paying in, but it's a pain having to store a load of stuff rather than being able to drop down bit by bit. A lot of people would just feck it all in the bin, and not worry about the environment - and maybe people who don't have the space to store a load of recyclables would be in this situation.

I previously lived in D15 and the local centre in Coolmine was council run. Great setup, free in and helpful staff - it was how a recycling centre should be run, not like these half-arsed setups that Oxigen are running and charging people in for. The lads down in Coolmine would just get you to leave stuff like used engine oil on a table and they would look after it, the old filters, the containers etc.. Trim is a joke, they won't take old filters - "bring it to a garage" the guy told me in there! :rolleyes: Yeah that'll go down well - "I service my own car so don't give you money, but could you dump my used oil filters for me please?". Trim also wouldn't take the used oil containers from me (recyclable plastic). They pick and choose what they will and will not take.

I also think that the Oxigen centres need to print proper receipts from a till for every bit of extra cash they get from us (for dumping large items etc.) as the hand-written receipts and lack of a till do nothing to instill confidence that the cash is going to Oxigen rather than in someones' pocket.

Big fail from Meath Co. Co. on their little deal with Oxigen. Half-arsed outfits run by jobsworths imo. Get used to more and more illegal dumping folks. :mad:
    Im sure you could drive back up to Dublin 15 with your stuff. Im sure staff in Navan and Trim wont miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Jesus, dont hold back johntommy! tell us how you feel!... :rolleyes:

(i could be way off... but me thinks johntommy has some sort of connection to the centre? :D:D:D)

I drove past there yesterday... not a car in sight in the centre... almost certain i saw a tumble weed roll across the yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Dont see what the problem is myself. Theres a gate charge - why would anyone expect to get in for free just because they want to want through the gate instead of drive?

I use the one in Kells all the time. Fill the car and trailer every few months with all the bottles, hedge clippings and other crap that gathers up and it costs me €3. Very large site, kept tidy, well signed etc.

Seems good enough value for money to me.

Dont see what the problem is myself. Theres a gate charge - why would anyone expect to get in for free just because they want to want through the gate instead of drive?

I use the one in Kells all the time. Fill the car and trailer every few months with all the bottles, hedge clippings and other crap that gathers up and it costs me €3. Very large site, kept tidy, well signed etc.

Seems good enough value for money to me.

That is not the point the OP was making, OP had two cans of waste oil only and wanted to put them through the facility. Waste oil is a commodity, it should be free to recycle. This 3€ charge is going into a black hole. No one knows how much the facility collect from the charges (inc the 3€) and on what services it is going.

Fiskar wrote: »
    That is not the point the OP was making, OP had two cans of waste oil only and wanted to put them through the facility. Waste oil is a commodity, it should be free to recycle. This 3€ charge is going into a black hole. No one knows how much the facility collect from the charges (inc the 3€) and on what services it is going.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was exactly the point of the thread in the first place.

bladespin wrote: »
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that was exactly the point of the thread in the first place.

Bull, you should be able to walk or drive in with recyclables free, given its location and what it is supposed to be there for.

Bull, you should be able to walk or drive in with recyclables free, given its location and what it is supposed to be there for.

What Bull, read the original post :rolleyes: I'm making no comment on what you should or shouldn't be able to do, just pointing out you're gone off topic with opinion.

• Advertisement

What Bull, read the original post :rolleyes: I'm making no comment on what you should or shouldn't be able to do, just pointing out you're gone off topic with opinion.

Won't be using the place so doesn't bother me. Seen plenty of vans wander up , get out and have a chat with the gate keeper in the office, then stroll back to their vehicle and get in free. Seems to be one law for recycling public and one law for van man.

If I were to use it for my oilys, I would use the bike as the OP sugested and get in.

Won't be using the place so doesn't bother me.

Why post then?

Still, I agree on the bike, the charge is for a car not the recyclables apparently.

Why post then?

the charge is for a car not the recyclables apparently.

Sorry but explain that one? If not for recyclables then why wasn't the OP allowed walk in with the 2 oil cans :confused:

Sorry but explain that one? If not for recyclables then why wasn't the OP allowed walk in with the 2 oil cans :confused:

Have to agree with Fiskar, all I wanted to do was enter with 2 cans of waste oil and recycle them. I was told pay the 3€ to enter the facility and sent on my way. Next time I will enter with the bike and report back, but expect to be ejected from the facility if they see me circumvent the barrier.

Pure S***te

The €2 is on the barrier, if you don't have to lift it to bring in a car then I can't see how you'd be expected to throw it into the barrier and lift a gate you don't need to pass. I'd go the bike route, or walk in.

Advertisement