Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BREEDING YOUR DOG!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Coxer sounds more athletic ;) bollie? sounds like rain:p

My grandad had a gorgeous dog(pure mutt) for many years, he was asked the breed so much that one night after a few beers he said it was an austrian pigeon hound:D of course someone knew of one owned by a friend of a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I think the best one I seen was an ad in the dealer for a teacup stud! :rolleyes: No breed mentioned just teacup. :rolleyes:

I see yet another person has money signs in their eyes when looking at their dog. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

I get asked this too when I walk my two dogs, everyone only ever focuses on the Akita and asked when she's been breed, poor Hudson never gets a look in because he's crossed between a Labrador and a German Shepard. When I say they're both neutered the look of shock on peoples faces. :mad:

I was even offered a male Akita for free so I could breed her as the owner couldn't handle him. :eek: Needless to say I declinded.

Years ago I remember going to the vets with my dad and we were getting our second dog neutered (German Shepard) and our other dog was getting a check up (German Shepard cross with a Rotti). The vet refused to neuter the dog, said he'd buy a pup from my dad, he didn't realise the other dog was ours too and turned around and said not to neuter her because she'll only turn out to be a fat slob like the dog behind you.:eek::mad:

I was so annoyed at this that I made my dad not go back to them. We told him that Wolfy the other dog had many conditions wrong with her that he was treating her for and that's why her weight went a bit out the window and she was there for her check up, hence the checkup appointment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

There are apporx 30,000 dogs put to sleep in Ireland for that reason along, both male and female dogs should be neutered, if not for example show dogs, as they have to be full dogs (that is what they call un neutered dogs) both male and females can have health problems if not neutered. I have a show dog and personally have not been asked this this while out for walks or with my dog, but have heard of it. Sensible dog ownership is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

lrushe wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to breed their dog. Between the expense of the breeding (not to mention the lead up to the breeding), the possible health implications for the bitch, the blood, sweat and tears that goes into rearing a litter and then the worry that you've found just the right homes (no home would be good enough for me :o). The stress of that would be too much for me, not to mention the guilt if I found out a dog I'd bred ended up in a pound or other bad situation.
    Nope, I think I'd rather leave the breeding to those with the knowledge and stomach for it :)

So much agreement here! We inadvertently found ourselves with a litter of pups when our Rosie turned out to be pregnant after we got her from the rescue. Now, I have to say that, after the experience of our previous dog being put down from heart failure, to see six little creatures was very life-affirming and a lot of fun to watch them develop but I was a nervous wreck! I weighed them every day, I watched over them with an eagle eye to make sure that nobody was getting harrassed and that everyone was getting fed. I even had heater on in front of them when they were napping so they'd be warm in the middle of a humid June/July which my made my late grandmother think she was dying, she was that warm!
    And that was before I had to find them homes, which luckily we did, but again it kept me awake nights about the kind of homes they'd end up and I quizzed every single person and looked them up and down who came in to see about getting one.

So while I loved the experience and am glad it happened, I would never breed a dog just because it was pedigree. It's just too stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

lrushe wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to breed their dog. Between the expense of the breeding (not to mention the lead up to the breeding), the possible health implications for the bitch, the blood, sweat and tears that goes into rearing a litter and then the worry that you've found just the right homes (no home would be good enough for me :o). The stress of that would be too much for me, not to mention the guilt if I found out a dog I'd bred ended up in a pound or other bad situation.
    Nope, I think I'd rather leave the breeding to those with the knowledge and stomach for it :)

I agree with this completely. It just really gets to me when people ask what breed she is and how much i will get when i breed her and sell her puppies, even callers who come to the door ask me!!
    They don't seem to understand she is just a major part of our family, one of our children has health and physical problems and this dog is his best friend, why would i want to put her at risk by breeding her??
    Just like to add that she goes everywhere with us, park, beach, playground etc so we meet a lot of people who ask us, one day this really obnoxious man asked how mush we would be selling her pups for after checking her over like a piece of meat, so i answered €2,000 each, he said ok and gave me his phone number, i nearly fell with shock!!
    I think people only see $$$ signs when they get purebred dogs in this country and unless something is done that's the way it will always be, breeding isn't for the faint hearted (me) and should only be done by people who know what they are doing and have excellent pedigree dogs, we have too many dogs with health problems in this country but i guess its going to always be like that! :(

Advertisement