Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanoscience vs. economics and finance vs. maths and economics

• 09-03-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Okay so I'm aware that i may seem indecisive, but I'm just really fixed on doing one of these 3 courses; Economics and Finance- UCD, Nanoscience-TCD, Maths and Economics TSM-TCD. I'd really appreciate any input from anyone who knows anything about/ is actually doing one of these courses!
    Basically, I got 540 in the mocks with a horrendous maths paper and im pretty confident that i can achieve above 600 points which will hopefully be sufficient for these courses.
    My main issues are that I feel like ill enjoy nanoscience a BIT more than the other 2 course wise, but I'll be more suited to the challenge of the careers stemming from the other 2! I love science and maths which is why im so attracted to nanoscience, yet im afraid that i won't enjoy a research or lab based job and will always be wondering 'what if', as i know the economics courses are very well renowned and can produce jobs with a lot of money, which is a major bonus. I just don't think ill be able to get a great job with those 2 courses in Ireland and will be made go to new york or london, which i wouldn't mind, but considering the high demand of the jobs i might feel a bit isolated! and is it true that all investment banking jobs are 6am-9pm?! I love finance, money and have a keen interest in hedge funds! but then again, playing around with nanoparticles really excites me too!
    sorry if this is not making sense!
    Also,
    TCD is much much handier for me, living in the north side of Dublin and i personally love the college!
    But then the challenge of E&F intrigues me!
    economics and maths sounds pretty good for jobs too! Im afraid ill be working crazy hours though and wont be able to have a social life!
    Could someone please just help me,
    what are the career prospects? i dont mind the courses themselves as much! THANK YOU SO MUCH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

If you do nanoscience, you still have a great chance of going into finance. I am in my final year of NPCAM and a person in my class has a job lined up with JP Morgan in London.

However, you will not get a job as a scientist after getting an economics degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ima_mokster

If you do nanoscience, you still have a great chance of going into finance. I am in my final year of NPCAM and a person in my class has a job lined up with JP Morgan in London.

However, you will not get a job as a scientist after getting an economics degree.
    So what you're saying is that there are other possibilities than lab based research etc. following the course? See i feel like id enjoy the course more! I Just really am afraid that the jobs after it will be a bit monotonous!

I guess another way i could phrase things, is that i just believe the nanoscience won't have many varied job prospects apart from labs labs labs! which i wouldnt mind i college, but after id hope to do something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

If you feel like you'll enjoy Nanoscience more, do it.

I'm finishing up Astrophysics with a job offer in one of the Big 4, and heading for an interview with one of the world's biggest banks after doing a summer internship with them. I had the conditional offer in October, and a few people I know in BESS are still trying to get some sort of interview. Some of my class are applying for PhDs, some are applying for Masters in High Performance Computing, some a Masters in Medical Physics.

Companies, particularly finance related, are realising the transferrable skills that Science degrees give students. The analytical, computational and mathematical skills you pick up, make you desirable to employers as you can adapt to most situations whereas some Business students tend to be clueless if a problem they encounter in the real world hasn't been taught to them (from personal experience, my manager was shocked at how little supervision I needed to complete tasks, she had to walk my Economics predecessor through everything from email writing to using job specific applications).

Having said that, a lot of "glamorous" finance jobs are hard graft. Most of the graduates I know in London call the hotel the "revolving door". They go back to their room to sleep for a few hours after finishing up after midnight, before heading back to the office for 6-7am. Sales and trading in particular have the worst reputation for long hours. But then again, in 5 years time, these graduates have the opportunity to make some insane salaries in comparison to their peers.

bscm wrote: »

I'm finishing up Astrophysics with a job offer in one of the Big 4, and heading for an interview with one of the world's biggest banks after doing a summer internship with them. I had the conditional offer in October, and a few people I know in BESS are still trying to get some sort of interview. Some of my class are applying for PhDs, some are applying for Masters in High Performance Computing, some a Masters in Medical Physics.

Companies, particularly finance related, are realising the transferrable skills that Science degrees give students. The analytical, computational and mathematical skills you pick up, make you desirable to employers as you can adapt to most situations whereas some Business students tend to be clueless if a problem they encounter in the real world hasn't been taught to them (from personal experience, my manager was shocked at how little supervision I needed to complete tasks, she had to walk my Economics predecessor through everything from email writing to using job specific applications).

Having said that, a lot of "glamorous" finance jobs are hard graft. Most of the graduates I know in London call the hotel the "revolving door". They go back to their room to sleep for a few hours after finishing up after midnight, before heading back to the office for 6-7am. Sales and trading in particular have the worst reputation for long hours. But then again, in 5 years time, these graduates have the opportunity to make some insane salaries in comparison to their peers.
    Thank you so much! That has really cleared most of the worries i had in regard to jobs! and motivated me as well! now all i need is for the points not to increase more again this year! but they were at 595 this year.. so there's not much left in terms of going up hopefully! Thank you so much😊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

At 595 points, last year's minimum was the highest ever (excluding courses with portfolio, HPAT, etc)! If you were to miss out on 600+, non-science employers won't particularly care about the differences between NPCAM and one of the Physics moderatorships taken through Science. Don't let the high points-requirement affect your choice - it was 475 in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

bscm wrote: »

The bit about S&T having the worst reputation is absolutely not true.

Not to say the hours aren't long, but the hours in investment banking are far worse, and that is both well known and not disputed.

I don't know anyone in S&T who'd regularly be in past 7/8. The hours are generally regular 630am-530pm type hours, though depending on teams those can vary by a couple of hours either way. European markets, which most people will be on in London, are only open from 8p-435pm, and you're unlikely to be around for more than 2 hours either side of that.

The problem worth IB is that market hours don't matter as much.

The bit about S&T having the worst reputation is absolutely not true.

Not to say the hours aren't long, but the hours in investment banking are far worse, and that is both well known and not disputed.

I don't know anyone in S&T who'd regularly be in past 7/8. The hours are generally regular 630am-530pm type hours, though depending on teams those can vary by a couple of hours either way. European markets, which most people will be on in London, are only open from 8p-435pm, and you're unlikely to be around for more than 2 hours either side of that.

The problem with IB is that market hours don't matter as much.

Yeah, in fact S&T probably has the best rep: consistent hours and no weekends. IBanking is notoriously antisocial with long hours and weekend work. I read somewhere online that the average ibanker is paid a lot more than the average trader, but the best trader is paid a lot more than the best ibanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 coybig99

Believe it or not I was in the exact same position as you last year. Those were my top three preferences and I had nanoscience no1 for so long. Eventually I took it off completely and put Ec&Fi first. I feared the same as you did that the career path for nanoscience wouldn't be as exciting than that of the other two courses. The type of people on a science course and finance course would vary also in general. I know this from people I know studying nanoscience. I was expecting to be on a very "nerdy" course on Ec&Fi with the points being so high, but that wasn't the case at all.

I'm now studying economics and finance. It's a really good course and the course hours are a lot better than most other non art courses; for example engineering(hours for this are 9-5 everyday). The fact that the class is small as well is great. I now know everyone on the course and we often go on course nights out to town.

I've heard from a guy on my course who actually did Ec&Maths in Trinity last year and deferred form it that Ec&Fi is a lot better. Being a TSM in Ec&Maths you're studying more pure maths and pure economics whereas in Ec&Fi your subjects, for instance advanced calculus(E&F), are actually a maths subject geared towards real life financial application.

In regards to the guy saying that the economics student couldn't figure anything out for himself, on Ec&Fi we do more maths subjects than anything else. Out of a total 12 subjects this year, 7 have been maths&stats. That's what places like Investment banks look for on a CV. Mathsy subjects which show you can solve problems.

Also I know a guy in Morgan Stanley who is in S&T and his hours are 6.30am-5or6pm evryday; no weekend work. IB is a lot worse.

Anyway, if you have any further q's feel free to pm me. Strange how I was in your exact situation last year! Goodluck with whatever you choose anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

coybig99 wrote: »

I've heard from a guy on my course who actually did Ec&Maths in Trinity last year and deferred form it that Ec&Fi is a lot better. Being a TSM in Ec&Maths you're studying more pure maths and pure economics whereas in Ec&Fi your subjects, for instance advanced calculus(E&F), are actually a maths subject geared towards real life financial application.

Yeah except the important difference is that with one course you're getting an actual Maths degree, and with the other you aren't!

• Advertisement

Okay so I'm aware that i may seem indecisive, but I'm just really fixed on doing one of these 3 courses; Economics and Finance- UCD, Nanoscience-TCD, Maths and Economics TSM-TCD. I'd really appreciate any input from anyone who knows anything about/ is actually doing one of these courses!
    Basically, I got 540 in the mocks with a horrendous maths paper and im pretty confident that i can achieve above 600 points which will hopefully be sufficient for these courses.
    My main issues are that I feel like ill enjoy nanoscience a BIT more than the other 2 course wise, but I'll be more suited to the challenge of the careers stemming from the other 2! I love science and maths which is why im so attracted to nanoscience, yet im afraid that i won't enjoy a research or lab based job and will always be wondering 'what if', as i know the economics courses are very well renowned and can produce jobs with a lot of money, which is a major bonus. I just don't think ill be able to get a great job with those 2 courses in Ireland and will be made go to new york or london, which i wouldn't mind, but considering the high demand of the jobs i might feel a bit isolated! and is it true that all investment banking jobs are 6am-9pm?! I love finance, money and have a keen interest in hedge funds! but then again, playing around with nanoparticles really excites me too!
    sorry if this is not making sense!
    Also,
    TCD is much much handier for me, living in the north side of Dublin and i personally love the college!
    But then the challenge of E&F intrigues me!
    economics and maths sounds pretty good for jobs too! Im afraid ill be working crazy hours though and wont be able to have a social life!
    Could someone please just help me,
    what are the career prospects? i dont mind the courses themselves as much! THANK YOU SO MUCH
    I'm in TSM Maths and Economics. PM me if you have any questions :)

Yeah except the important difference is that with one course you're getting an actual Maths degree, and with the other you aren't!

Well a (Bachelor in Science) Economics & Finance with a major in Maths & Stats in 3rd year if you want, which most people looking to go into finance roles would do.

Well a (Bachelor in Science) Economics & Finance with a major in Maths & Stats in 3rd year if you want, which most people looking to go into finance roles would do.

But then you wouldn't have a degree in Economics??

But then you wouldn't have a degree in Economics??

No, It's still a degree in Economics & Finance but in final year you can major in Finance, Economics or Maths & Stats.

So you could say you have a Degree in Economics & Finance (Maths & Stats Major)
    Some people on the course were actually giving out about to the course director about the fact that there's no maths in the title of the course since the majority of our subjects are maths.

No, It's still a degree in Economics & Finance but in final year you can major in Finance, Economics or Maths & Stats.

So you could say you have a Degree in Economics & Finance (Maths & Stats Major)
    Some people on the course were actually giving out about to the course director about the fact that there's no maths in the title of the course since the majority of our subjects are maths.
    Your Major = Your Degree. Economics and Finance is just the name of the course. For example there is a course in Trinity called PPES (Politics, Phil, Econ, Sociology) - people study Economics during it, but if they major in Philosophy then they don't have a degree in Economics (yet their course title still includes Economics in the name).

Your Major = Your Degree. Economics and Finance is just the name of the course. For example there is a course in Trinity called PPES (Politics, Phil, Econ, Sociology) - people study Economics during it, but if they major in Philosophy then they don't have a degree in Economics (yet their course title still includes Economics in the name).

The degree is definitely economics and finance you graduate with, so major isn't the right word. But you basically study 4 maths 1 finance and 1 economics module if you choose maths and stats for final year. Even if maths isn't in the title of the degree most put the maths modules (stochastic models, time series, differential equations etc.) on their cv in brackets beside the degree name because they're relevant to banking jobs so it's not much of a problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i think regardless of what you pick you could easily transfer. a lot of these courses are marketed as one of a kind but the truth is they can potentially cater for a wide range of jobs.

op i wouldnt worry. you could do a Hdip when finshed your undergraduate if needs be.

One graduates with a BA Philosohy, Politics, Economics and Sociology regardless of what subjects they chose to drop.

Advertisement