Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

masters social work trinity

Options
  • 23-02-2012 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,
    does anyone know anything about the unprepared written test prior the interview for social work at tcd. You know how the saying goes, fail to prepare and prepare to fail so I dont like going into anything blindly!! Any advice would be appreciatedconfused.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Moved to the TCD forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

gonzobat wrote: »
    Hi all,
    does anyone know anything about the unprepared written test prior the interview for social work at tcd. You know how the saying goes, fail to prepare and prepare to fail so I dont like going into anything blindly!! Any advice would be appreciatedconfused.gif

I have no advice just wanted to wish you best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 gadgetman25

gonzobat wrote: »
    Hi all,

There is no written exam. The stopped the written assessment 2 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GaelicAnna

I too, have applied to Trinity for this course as a mature student, I would love to know what kind of questions are asked at the interview stage so any advice would be appreciated.

Anna

GaelicAnna wrote: »
    I too, have applied to Trinity for this course as a mature student, I would love to know what kind of questions are asked at the interview stage so any advice would be appreciated.

Anna

Most important thing I would suggest is to just be yourself! They really want to get a sense who you are. The obvious questions would be related to the course itself and what you know about it, subjects etc..

What volunteer work you have done if any and why you want to do the course. What your understanding is of social work and what social workers do. That's pretty much all I was asked. Just do a little research on the course and most important be yourself!!

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 GaelicAnna

Thank you Gadgetman, my interview is looming. I am so nervous as this is such an important event and it is crucial I know what to expect so I can prepare myself. Can I ask if you were asked to bring two references along to testify to your suitability for the course? How long after your interview were you informed of their decision?

regards
    Anna

Thank you Gadgetman, my interview is looming. I am so nervous as this is such an important event and it is crucial I know what to expect so I can prepare myself. Can I ask if you were asked to bring two references along to testify to your suitability for the course? How long after your interview were you informed of their decision?

regards
    Anna

Hi Anna,

I brought two references with me from the organisations that I volunteered with. So I'd suggest that you do the same. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the basics of social work and the subjects that are involved in the course. My interview lasted for about 30 minutes so, you have approximately that amount of time to sell yourself!!!

Try and not let your nerves get to you too much. The interviewers I had were very nice and they obviously understand that you are going to be nervous.

As I said before my interview was relaxed enough and I felt that the interviewers really wanted to get a sense of who I was and to see if I was suitable for the course. I was asked about my volunteer work, situations that I may have dealt with while volunteering and the usual question of "tell us about yourself."

As far as I can remember I received my letter of offer from trinity at the end of May.

Hope I've been a little helpful!!

Best of luck with the interview.

Regards,

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 4 judycoup

hi all.

Anyone know when trinity Social Work Masters begins exactly in Sept??

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

Hi, i don't know when it starts but I have been offered a place, are you doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 judycoup

hey! :) thanks yes I did. Pretty sure I will take it!! So happy! :)

• Advertisement

congrats :o

hi judycoup, I was just in touch with admin and they said they don't have a date yet but will prob be starting sept 16th, have you accepted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CO23

Yeah it's usually around the 16th for orientation week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

hi can anyone tell me if Trinity are still doing the written exam for social work masters? I see someone posted that they stopped doing it a few years ago but I was told last year that they were given a written exam. Just looking for clarification from any applicants last year.

hiya, there was no written test last year, just an interview, let me know if you have any more questions

You'll be sorry you said that! I'm actually working on my personal statement at the mo, stressed!! Its due friday, if I get an interview I will have lots more questions. Thanks for answering my post so quick you're very good

best of luck with application, I think they really want to get a sense of who you are and what your values, principles are. Do get in touch if you get interview, I asked lots of questions last year when I was applying!

Could i ask what type of experience did you have? I applied to trinity last year and got rejected. I also applied to UCD and they sent a letter telling me to get more experience. I feel like I'm jumpin through hoops! And can I also ask how are you finding the course? Are you enjoying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ziggy14

I just got an email to say I have an interview and I was wondering does anyone have any tips for preparation? questions that might be asked? is it group or individual interviews? Stressed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lea11

Hi Ziggy14. Did you get the email today? I also received an email about an interview. nervous

• Advertisement

It is hard to give any real tips as there will be a number of panels interviewing so I can only say what it was like for me and my panel.
    In general though, about 8 people will have been given the same interview time as you, when you arrive you will all be waiting in a room and will get called individually to your interview panel.
    They really are looking to assess your communication skills so be as relaxed and as confident as you can be. Some people were asked questions like what was the last film you saw or book you read, others were asked to talk through their cv and application, I was asked to verbally compose an essay arguing for separate services for minority groups....so a lot of the stuff will just come naturally and id difficult to prepare for

The above is something I've just copied and pasted from a private email I sent somebody last year, best of luck with the interviews!

Thanks, much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ziggy14

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jamj1234

hey. i got an interview this year to! i know in the ucd one i had they wanted to know about your experience & for you to explain it & then tell me what you had learnt from it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liptonvillage

Anna

Anna

I know this is nearly three years ago but I'm just wondering if you give me an idea of what questions were asked at the interview ?

I'm on a waiting list as well. Last year I was on a waiting list. I don't want to bust your bubble but I'm starting to think it's a way of letting people down gently. Do you know how many went for interview ?

Oh really and did they tell you last year where you ranked? Am they said 60 went for it :( I didn't get UCD

lea11 wrote: »
    Oh really and did they tell you last year where you ranked? Am they said 60 went for it :( I didn't get UCD

I'm probably been a bit cynical about it but I just found it coincidental that i seen another person on a waiting list. If it's any consolation or help I won't be taking a place even if offered. I've secured a place at another University. If I find out what place on the waiting list that I am I'll let you know. Good luck with it.

Thanks very much & best of luck with your course. I made the mistake of not going to my NUIG or UCC interview for distance reasons.

• Advertisement

macannrb wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am looking for a bit of advice, especially from current or past students. I have been accepted onto the masters in both TCD and UCD. I am finding if difficult making my choice as both are very good colleges.

My main area of concern is the academic side of things, been dyslexic I fear I will struggle with the standard that is required at TCD. How do TCD do their assessments? Is there many exams or is it mainly assignments like the other colleges? Is there much group work and reflective work or is the main focus on research study and thought classes rather then seminars.

I am a current student in UCD and have received some good support from them in regard of in class supports and exam supports so know what help I will receive from them. Anyone have any experience of the support given at TCD for dyslexic students? They seem to be on power with UCD from reading the info on their site, however it would be nice to hear form someone who may have experienced the service or know someone who does.

Any other advice on the course experience at TCD or even UCD would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi

Congrats on getting both interviews. Some on here including myself are on a waiting list for Trinity so I would wary about who's advice you take. If you read some of the postings you might figure out who'd like to see you going to UCD. I'd contact the University directly as regards supports. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think swung it for you in the interviews ? D

Advertisement