Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robocop (Reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

cursai wrote: »

Oh dear God let that whole article be a really bad joke please, that just sounds terrible beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,117 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They made the original script by Frank Miller for Robocop 2 into a comic. Oddly, we got a film of the original's quality in comparison to the original script.
    I really hate how they always try to inject comedy into every single flick nowadays. I remember the Donegal Democrat gave The Dark Knight 4 stars out of 5 citing lack of comedy as a flaw.
    I remember that comic. Had it as a kid. I was probably 8 :pac: Very good stuff, but I was mostly in it for the robot drawings. The mother****er had a chainsaw arm for gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I can see totalrecallocop happening here. With that Jessica Biel as the voice of robo's internal computer processor thing. Ala Halo. Ed209 being voiced by Samuel l Jackson shouting "you mother....img snakes have twenty seconds to comply b.tch". Cue over done CGI of robo s robotic helmet showing an uncomfortale grimace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cursai wrote: »
    Oh dear God let that whole article be a really bad joke please, that just sounds terrible beyond belief.

Makes sense though. Street crime isn't nearly at the levels in the US it was in the late 80s and 90s, and terrorism is still very much something people are afraid of (like the crime scares, very much because of the media).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

That focus group thing sounds disgraceful, and as for the suit transforming, first thing that came to mind was the Iron Man suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was only watching the original last night.
    Theyre gonna remove the footstep noise arent they :(
    I love when he 1st turns up at the police station and you just hear the "thump*thump*thump* followed by the drunk guy "What is this sh!t?....." :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Makes sense though. Street crime isn't nearly at the levels in the US it was in the late 80s and 90s, and terrorism is still very much something people are afraid of (like the crime scares, very much because of the media).

Fine, but then don't call the film 'Robocop', kinda flies in the face of the concept if he's just an IronMan knockoff, duffing up terrorists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds fine to me, or at least as fine as something taken out of context from an early draft of the script is going to sound. I think a lot of people just want a shot-for-shot remake of the original. I'd rather they weren't making this film at all, but if it's going to happen, I'd prefer they do it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sounds fine to me, or at least as fine as something taken out of context from an early draft of the script is going to sound. I think a lot of people just want a shot-for-shot remake of the original. I'd rather they weren't making this film at all, but if it's going to happen, I'd prefer they do it differently.

Same here, but in that case there's no need for those focus group scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I can see this being the next Robocop 3. They'll probably give him a jetpack and everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm hoping the transforming nonsense will be limited to Robo having built in weapons. Not having high hopes to be honest.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That IGN link doesn't have all the info. This has more - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=65577
    Okay... the two "best" lines in the script. First up is at the unveiling ceremony for Robocop in Detroit, from a TV reporter covering it. "I think it's safe to say that Alex Murphy is now part man, part machine, ALL COP!"

It sounds like everyone knows that Robocop is Alex Murphy, and that he's now a superhero type character as opposed to the secretive Frankenstein's monster of the original.

What is this sh*t :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So Robocop in the new movie will look human one second then "transform" into more robot looking? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

So more like Inspector Gadget than Robocop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So Robocop in the new movie will look human one second then "transform" into more robot looking? :confused:
    Extremis before Iron Man 3 is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That IGN link doesn't have all the info. This has more - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=65577

It sounds like everyone knows that Robocop is Alex Murphy, and that he's now a superhero type character as opposed to the secretive Frankenstein's monster of the original.

What is this sh*t :pac:

they were talking about this sort of stuff on the slashfilm podcast review of Total Recall, needless nods to the originals, that only serve to point out how much better the originals were.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Why would he have anything that looks like a pair of y-fronts? He's a robot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Why would he have anything that looks like a pair of y-fronts? He's a robot!

Cyborg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That pic was posted before, it's a fake. I think the suit is supposed to be something closer to a Crysis suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Why are they remaking Robocop or Total Recall.
    They were both near perfect action movies.
    Judge Dredd looks promising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Judge Dredd looks promising though.

yeah but its still going to be hard to differentiate it from The Raid though

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skerries wrote: »

Ah I'd say it'll be pretty easy. There's no martial arts(or very little), lots more blood by the looks of it, a dystopian future and the main character is Judge Freakin Dredd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

At least the word about Judge Dredd is that it's quite good and anything besides Stallone's effort would be an improvement.

I think Robocop could be handled quite good if they just stay away from linking or nodding towards the 1st film.

Let's face it, all the following movies and TV stuff were horrendous. (Effects in Robocop 2 were brilliant, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Skerries wrote: »

Ah not this ****e again! The only similarity between the JD reboot and the Raid is the setting (most of the action takes place in a single tower block). Considering the Judge Dredd film was originally scheduled to be released before "The Raid" the whole argument is a bit of a non-runner. Ok, The Raid got there first but had limited exposure at the box office ($4million USD) whilst the pre-sales for JD 3D have hit $20million in the US already (source: this months Total Film magazine). Also, one is based on a hard assed classic comic book character, the other is a martial arts/action/cops'n'robbers flick.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm having serious doubts about the Robocop reboot (based on some of the leaked storyline previews and what has been posted here). Also, the lacklustre reception for the Total Recall remake just adds to the argument that these movies should be left alone (there's supposed to be a Starship Troopers reboot/remake in the works as well). That'll definitely complete the hat-trick of ****ting all over Paul Verhovens standout Sci-Fi trio:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

CAsper Van Diem and Neil Patrik Harris just voiced an animated Starship Troopers flick; why the hell could they not just use the original cast in a sequal. Especially as Maurader was actually quite good (regardless of the lacklustre Maurader CGI)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That can't be true.

Sounds absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

phil1nj wrote: »
    Anyway, back on topic. I'm having serious doubts about the Robocop reboot (based on some of the leaked storyline previews and what has been posted here). Also, the lacklustre reception for the Total Recall remake just adds to the argument that these movies should be left alone (there's supposed to be a Starship Troopers reboot/remake in the works as well). That'll definitely complete the hat-trick of ****ting all over Paul Verhovens standout Sci-Fi trio:mad:

tbh Paul Verhoeven shat all over Heinlein's Hugo award winning masterpiece first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Goldstein wrote: »
    tbh Paul Verhoeven shat all over Heinlein's Hugo award winning masterpiece first.

I've read the book and seen the (loosely based on the book) movie and to be honest apart from the title, there's very little in common between source material and film (planet names and bugs aside). Having said that, when taken on its own merits, the movie is an enjoyable piece of OTT sci-fi fluff that does not need a remake.

Advertisement