Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:D Lucy won me a big Lindt bunny at her class earlier for being the best a loose lead walking!!! :D
    ...she also got a pink rosette :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm getting sooo broody for a puppy. I keep seeing them pop up on rescues facebook pages and I want them all so badly! Never going to happen while I'm living at home but I should be moving in the semi-near future... And knowing me, less than a week later there will be new puppy pictures to add here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I'm getting sooo broody for a puppy. I keep seeing them pop up on rescues facebook pages and I want them all so badly! Never going to happen while I'm living at home but I should be moving in the semi-near future... And knowing me, less than a week later there will be new puppy pictures to add here :D

When I moved to Cork we finally got a house with a yard and enough room for a dog. I moved there on a Saturday, and by the following Sunday we had adopted Poppy :pac:

Advise please! Bailey's swelling has gone down - I think I still feel a small lump.... although it could just be normal/ scar tissue from his op. He's not happy for me to feel it or open is mouth which is not like him - we did loads of practice with me opening his mouth and examining it so he'd be used to it for the vet so he's happy to have it open and fingers inside etc because he knows he'll get a treat.

I'm thinking of taking him over to our vet tomorrow evening (she was finished for the day when we went over on friday) to get her opinion?... Or am I just worrying over nothing and they'll think I'm mad lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You know you are not going to relax until you get that lump checked. As you say its probably scar tissue, but if you bring him to your vet and she tells you that, then you can relax and not be feeling for it and worrying. Anyway, vets never think we are nuts to have things checked - they know we just love our pets! Poor Bailey, hes been through the wars - any idea what caused it to flare up again? Maybe hes always going to have sensitivity there after the original damage. Jeez on his jaw there is very little you can do to protect that too. :(

• Advertisement

Thanks aonb. No - no idea what caused it although there have been HUGE bumble bees around the garden the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I'd second that.. You won't settle until you know what's wring, and it's hard for our furry friends to explain if any things bothering them, so nothing wrong with double checking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Your gut feeling is always to check anything that your not sure of. In Baileys case your gut has always been right. He might just need some antibiotics or another anti inflammatory to eliminate whatever the last of the problem is. And your vet will know whether there was scar tissue in that particular spot or not.

Going to take him tomorrow! He won't be pleased lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

tk123 wrote: »
    Going to take him tomorrow! He won't be pleased lol! :p

poor Bailey, hes prob sick of the vets at this stage. Lots of treats and TLC to make up for it. Let us know how it goes

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    poor Bailey, hes prob sick of the vets at this stage. Lots of treats and TLC to make up for it. Let us know how it goes

I know!! I thought we'd be done until the end of May when he's due his bloods.. Trying to decide now if I should take a half day or go in the evening - last time we were there for an evening appointment we left the house at 7:00pm (we live 2 mins away) for our 7:10 appointment and didn't get home until 8:45!! Zzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Somebody's cat sneaked in through our open cat flap this morning and got chased into the shed by Jazzy. He had it cornered in there for 40 minutes before the other cat did a runner. We have a gap under the shed door that's just big enough for a cat to squeeze under and there's some bedding in there, so it's cosy. I'm guessing it was a female since Jazzy runs from the sound of other male cats fighting and has a habit of picking on girls.:rolleyes:

I decided to give Bailey a reprive after he was running around playing with Lucy this morning in the park. When I was stung by a wasp last year my hand was bruised and sore for days so if it was a sting it'd probably still be sore for him. Going to keep giving him arnica and silicea and see what he's like in a few days. We're so lucky to have the vets on our doorstep!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I would really like to know which one of my lovely dogs pulled all of the paper, yes, every single sheet, out of the packet and then put dirty pawprints on it. Almost brand new packet of white printing paper, stored on the shelf underneath the printer. Grrrrrrr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Teddy was 3 years old in February and has never cocked his leg to pee until today. He did it this morning and again just now. Think he has finally realised he's a boy lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Teddy was 3 years old in February and has never cocked his leg to pee until today. He did it this morning and again just now. Think he has finally realised he's a boy lol.

Mine didn't start until they were 2, and that's also when they started marking!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

VonVix wrote: »
    Mine didn't start until they were 2, and that's also when they started marking!
    Oh dear, i hope we dont have any marking in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Oh dear, i hope we dont have any marking in the house!

I had a heap of potty training issues with my boys (basically, everything was done completely the wrong way!) and there has been zero marking issues in the house. Just my personal experience but yeah. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Bailey has never cocked his leg (vet reckoned it was due to weight bearing with sore legs etc etc ) but at times you can see him puzzled where he want's to mark something but can't figure out how to wee higher lol! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I've never had an intact male mark in the house but occasionally they do pee on the girls

• Advertisement

A completely off topic rant. I had a FB argument a few weeks ago with someone about the fact that Ireland is an independent country, not part of Britain, she is British, and so I kind of accepted that people there sometimes get confused. However, tonight I emailed someone in France to talk about Irish competitors entering an event next autumn, and the reply I got was that we have to talk to the British federation about it, as they cover the whole of the UK!! I am really stunned that a French person thinks that.

Anyway, breathe and rant over.

In my last job I got a call at 5 or 6 am one saturday morning telling me a server in Cardiff was down and asking me if Dublin was near Cardiff.. eh yeah I'll just drive over in the ferry o_O

Teddy was neutered about a year and a half ago, so not intact. He was house trained in 3 weeks and never had any accidents. He does try to pee in his water bowl outside for some unknown reason, but I don't think he would mark in the house even if he does start marking outside. Maybe i should get one of those stakes for the garden and put his water bowl next to it to encourage him to go there in case he does start marking?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

muddypaws wrote: »
    A completely off topic rant. I had a FB argument a few weeks ago with someone about the fact that Ireland is an independent country, not part of Britain, she is British, and so I kind of accepted that people there sometimes get confused. However, tonight I emailed someone in France to talk about Irish competitors entering an event next autumn, and the reply I got was that we have to talk to the British federation about it, as they cover the whole of the UK!! I am really stunned that a French person thinks that.

I once phoned Ford UK Customer a Service and was asked by the young guy with a strong Essex accent if Dublin was in the UK.. He was also surprised to learn that Dublin was Ireland's capital. Too much drinking in Kos Greece for him.

tk123 wrote: »
    In my last job I got a call at 5 or 6 am one saturday morning telling me a server in Cardiff was down and asking me if Dublin was near Cardiff.. eh yeah I'll just drive over in the ferry o_O

In fairness now, Dublin would be a lot nearer to Cardiff than Edinburgh would be :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There was great commotion here at 4am. Cat howls coming from the kitchen turned out to be that neighbour cat having come in our cat flap and encountered Jazzy, who chased it out into the street, where it then encountered Toby who'd only gone out a few minutes before. That led to a fight somewhere in the distance and Toby didn't come home for an hour. He doesn't look too much the worse for wear and hopefully there won't be any need for a trip to the vets.

Toby is finally semi settled on his bed in the living room but the 4 of them are on a heightened state of alert.

In fairness now, Dublin would be a lot nearer to Cardiff than Edinburgh would be :P

Yeah but they had a support team in Cardiff too lol!!

Anyways... my easidri towel has just arrived!! I'm sure I won't have long to wait before trying it out on the dogs lol! :pac:

ARGH!! I was going to a conference there about ten years ago in England, they had sign in desks for UK and International. Us ROI folks went up to the international desk to be sent to the other desk. I caused a massive fuss, but unfortunately, my boss was Northern Irish but one of these more Irish than the Irish types, and I got a verbal clip round the ear for trying to "stir the sh*t". I still haven't forgiven that!

Amelia has been four weeks in her new house! She started going outside after just days, I was worried, but she's one of these cats who never goes very far because she's a coward at heart. She's started to try to engage the two cats here in play, but they just think she's running at them and run away! She knows how the catflap works now, both in and out, and she's started to beg from my housemates now too. She can be a total pain in the hole once she's comfortable with you! In fact she's started going into my housemate's bedroom and sleeping on his bed, and he's too nice to her to move her! I heard her earlier wailing to get into my bedroom, I'm trying to wean her off her right to come in and out of my room as she pleases because my budgies will be here soon. My housemate was trying to reason with her! "You want food? No food? Go outside? No? You want to come into my room? I don't understand you Cat!!" I was laughing, but I held out fast, she can't come into my room all the time.

One of the other cats came into my room tonight, hid under my bed and proceeded to hiss and growl at me. He's moody so I ignored him and picked up my laptop. Amelia came rushing in, knowing a cat was in "her" space! They don't fight, so it's fine. Nathan walked out once he'd made Amelia aware that he'll be in here if he damn well likes, but she "chased" him out, just so she won, you know!

• Advertisement

ARGH!! I was going to a conference there about ten years ago in England, they had sign in desks for UK and International. Us ROI folks went up to the international desk to be sent to the other desk. I caused a massive fuss, but unfortunately, my boss was Northern Irish but one of these more Irish than the Irish types, and I got a verbal clip round the ear for trying to "stir the sh*t". I still haven't forgiven that!

I grew up in the UK, and have no issues with Britain at all, but if that was me, I would have refused to go to the other desk, good on you for causing a fuss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement