Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need some advices from Dubliners :)

• 17-03-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi ! I'm a French student, coming this summer for a 3 months internship on tcd.

I have some questions I couldn't found any answers to :

- Searching for a flat, I found Shanowen Hall, does anyone know if it's good ? Far from tcd and the center ? Are there any other residences closer to tcd which have spots open in summer ?

- What's the difference between halls, squares and residences etc.. ?

- I saw that I need a card for the bus, is it easy to make it in Dublin ?

- Any tips, general advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Never heard of Shanowen hall (looks like it's aimed at DCU students), but it's not particularly close to Trinity. Use google maps to find out how long it takes to travel between TCD and anywhere, put it in as a direction and select public transport: like this

The leap card is for buses, which you can pick up from any newsagent. If trinity will be giving you a student card then you can use a student travel card which can be found from the students union shop in trinity.

Halls, squares and residences are just names for different forms of apartment blocks, they could mean many different things, you'll have to investigate each one seperately. Most places calling themselves 'halls' though are probably halls of residence, which are aimed at students and usually have self contained bedrooms with locks on the door, within an apartment sharing kitchen and bathroom facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Contact Trinity Hall with regards to summer accommodation. They usually have free space during the summer. It's a bit out from the college but bus is literally at your door, and you'll be with other TCD people there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Tantaurus wrote: »
    Hi ! I'm a French student, coming this summer for a 3 months internship on tcd.

I have some questions I couldn't found any answers to :

- Searching for a flat, I found Shanowen Hall, does anyone know if it's good ? Far from tcd and the center ? Are there any other residences closer to tcd which have spots open in summer ?

- What's the difference between halls, squares and residences etc.. ?

- I saw that I need a card for the bus, is it easy to make it in Dublin ?

- Any tips, general advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot !

Shanowen hall are quite modern Apartments. They are secure as they have a 24/7 security guard at the door. Although they are marketed towards DCU, they will be full of international students for the summer. They are probably about 5/10 mins walk to a bus stop from DCU. But the bus to Trinity shouldnt be too long. You could definitely cycle, as buses aren't that cheap in Dublin. They are about €20 a week for students(look up leapcard).

You might find something on the trinity noticeboard in the city center and sublet from a student for the summer

http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/Communications/Noticeboard/ac_notices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Neddy10

Shanowen Hall and Shanowen Square are student apartments across the road from DCU. Shanowen Hall is nicer than square IMO and the staff are great! If you were to live there and travel to Trinity, there is a bus stop 4 minutes up the road that has the Number One bus that will drop you at Pearse Street (just outside Trinity) or another bus stop at the top of Shanowen Road (6 min walk) has a lot more routes that all go to the city centre. The buses generally take 20 minutes depending on traffic! You're not even 10 minutes from the OMNI shopping centre that has a Tesco, Lidl, Penney's, Boots, Nando's, McDonald's and cinema.

Advertisement