Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tayla wrote: »
    That doesn't explain anything about the fact that she was company secretary for 10 companies and then claimed herself that she wasn't fit to fulfil the duties.
    That's because I was answering a different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's because I was answering a different question.

The following is the post you quoted, what question were you answering?
    Gophur wrote: »
    Mrs Quinn claimed to know nothing about business yet was director of 91 companies and Company Secretary of 10.

A Company Secretary would have to sign off annual accounts, and is a very responsible position. Surely some offence was committed here and she should be brought before the Courts to account for herself?

It seems rules, regulations and Laws were for people other than the Quinns.

This bit.
    Mrs Quinn claimed to know nothing about business yet was director of 91 companies and Company Secretary of 10.

A Company Secretary would have to sign off annual accounts, and is a very responsible position. Surely some offence was committed here and she should be brought before the Courts to account for herself?

Gophur seemed shocked to hear of a large number of companies and I just pointed out that what seems like one company from the outside could be many, it's all legal and above board and is common. It's all paperwork jigery pokery though, in the real world it's basically one company.

This bit.

Gophur seemed shocked to hear of a large number of companies and I just pointed out that what seems like one company from the outside could be many, it's all legal and above board and is common. It's all paperwork jigery pokery though, in the real world it's basically one company.

He didn't seem shocked, he was pointing out the extent of her business portfolio.

He didn't seem shocked, he was pointing out the extent of her business portfolio.
    And implying it was illegal which isn't necessarily the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

This bit.

But the point is that if you know your obligations as a director of even ONE, then the others would be the same.

"Not knowing what you're signing" ;) :rolleyes: for 1 or for 91 makes no difference.

You are in breach of company law if you do not fulfil your secretarial duties, you can be prosecuted. Even if Patricia Quinn was too stupid to realise that she had obligations then it was up to the directors to ensure this person was capable before she was appointed.

If Patricia Quinn herself is to be believed then she has breached the company laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

"seemed" ? I wasn't shocked in the slightest. It's legality is irrelevant.

Correct

I don't know where you drew this inference, it wasn't implied in any way, shape or form.
    You are in breach of company law if you do not fulfil your secretarial duties, you can be prosecuted. Even if Patricia Quinn was too stupid to realise that she had obligations then it was up to the directors to ensure this person was capable before she was appointed.

If Patricia Quinn herself is to be believed then she has breached the company laws.

Correct.

It does seem Mrs Quinn was a Director/Secretary of convenience. Serious breaches of Company Law had to have occurred if
    1. She was as thick and stupid as she makes out to be
    or
    2. Her name was used un-knowingly.

So, either she, or the person who used her name, or both, is/are guilty of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Gophur wrote: »
    And that, is not true.

Why post such sheer unadulterated BS?

It is true. I don't like Quinn's actions but it is the truth anyone from west Cavan will tell you how much he has done for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭flutered

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It is true. I don't like Quinn's actions but it is the truth anyone from west Cavan will tell you how much he has done for the area.

to the determient of the rest of my country.

• Advertisement

Well then maybe the people from west Cavan should pay the debt.....

If they want to stand by Sean and allow him to keep his assets then they should put their hands in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

flutered wrote: »
    to the determient of the rest of my country.
    Well then maybe the people from west Cavan should pay the debt.....

If they want to stand by Sean and allow him to keep his assets then they should put their hands in their pockets.

Who said anybody was standing by him? Who wants him to keep his assets in Cavan now? Most people don't and most protesting last year were mainly fearful of losing their own jobs not Quinns personal wealth. I'm just responding to a comment by stating the truth. Quinn screwed up. Anglo screwed up. Anglo more so. They lied to Quinn and they lied to the government during negotiations for the bank guarantee.

Who said anybody was standing by him? Who wants him to keep his assets in Cavan now? Most people don't and most protesting last year were mainly fearful of losing their own jobs not Quinns personal wealth. I'm just responding to a comment by stating the truth. Quinn screwed up. Anglo screwed up. Anglo more so. They lied to Quinn and they lied to the government during negotiations for the bank guarantee.

Plenty of people are standing by him, I'm saying that if those people want Sean to be allowed to keep his assets because he did so much for their areas then they should be willing to pay back the debt......because someone has to pay it.

I agree that Anglo behaved outrageously and I hope all involved are punished and lose everything they have for their actions.

Likewise with the fianna fail government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

People are just as loyal to Bertie, people were just as loyal to Brian Lenihan.
    It doesn't mean that they are amazing people. It means people are stupid.

It also means that anyone who voted for Fianna Fail in the last election was selfish, rather than acknowledge that they were wrong about the party once it all started to unfold, they decided to vote for them again almost as an act of stubborness and a **** you to the rest of us.

At the end of the day, someone has to pay it, either Sean or the taxpayer and Seans supporters want the taxpayer to foot the bill, they clearly can't think rationally because they're blinded out of love for their hero Sean.

I wonder how many of Bertie or Brian Lenihans supporters knew them personally?

You cannot compare the loyalty? of people to politicians whom they do not know personally, to the loyalty of people to someone they know, respect, and admire.

Incidentally, you did notice that FF were decimated in both the local and National elections, right?

Sean Quinn has been declared bankrupt. His assets will be seized, to pay off as much of his outstanding debt as possible. I've already stated I have no problem with that.

So, when do we get back to being outraged that Anglo debts, which were much more substantial than Sean Quinns, will never be recouped, that NAMA, if it succeeds, will cost those needing a home more than 2+ Billion in buying artificially inflated properties, and if it fails, the taxpayer will be footing yet another bill, probably well in excess of 2+ Billion - and that the Government - not Sean Quinn, decided to take on Anglos debts, and pay the Bondholders.

Methinks, at this stage, we have a great deal more to be outraged and worried about than 2 Billion, substantial as that may be.......

Which leads me right back to the question about so much media coverage about Sean Quinn, and so very little information about matters that have the potential to cost us a great deal more......

MagicSean wrote: »
    Have you ever met his wife? Id love to know if she is as stupid and under his thumb as she pretended to be in court.

No, I know nothing about his wife, other than what I read in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Noreen1 wrote: »

You cannot compare the loyalty? of people to politicians whom they do not know personally, to the loyalty of people to someone they know, respect, and admire.

Incidentally, you did notice that FF were decimated in both the local and National elections, right?

Sean Quinn has been declared bankrupt. His assets will be seized, to pay off as much of his outstanding debt as possible. I've already stated I have no problem with that.

So, when do we get back to being outraged that Anglo debts, which were much more substantial than Sean Quinns, will never be recouped, that NAMA, if it succeeds, will cost those needing a home more than 2+ Billion in buying artificially inflated properties, and if it fails, the taxpayer will be footing yet another bill, probably well in excess of 2+ Billion - and that the Government - not Sean Quinn, decided to take on Anglos debts, and pay the Bondholders.

Methinks, at this stage, we have a great deal more to be outraged and worried about than 2 Billion, substantial as that may be.......

Which leads me right back to the question about so much media coverage about Sean Quinn, and so very little information about matters that have the potential to cost us a great deal more......

Just on the Sean Quinn part of Anglo, Quinn would have had to repay Anglo wether it went bust, got Nationalised or some private company took it over.

Here's some facts to put this in perspective:

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2010/04/03/anglo-what-are-the-options/#more-6204

You see the subordinated bondholder figure of €2.3 Billion? The ones people keep going on about? Quinn lost more in the Contracts for Difference tranactions on Anglo.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 onedaysoon

Up Cavan..

K-9 wrote: »
    Just on the Sean Quinn part of Anglo, Quinn would have had to repay Anglo wether it went bust, got Nationalised or some private company took it over.

Here's some facts to put this in perspective:

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2010/04/03/anglo-what-are-the-options/#more-6204

You see the subordinated bondholder figure of €2.3 Billion? The ones people keep going on about? Quinn lost more in the Contracts for Difference tranactions on Anglo.

Thanks for the link.

I'm aware that Sean Quinn would have had to pay Anglo, anyway.

My point was that there is so much vitriol and media coverage of Sean Quinn, and so very little media coverage/information on matters that have/will ultimately cost us a great deal more, one way or another.

You have no way of knowing how many supporters knew them personally.

You do realise that Brian Lenihan got voted back in right?

Yes but the problem is that he wants to make it as difficult as possible.
    So, when do we get back to being outraged that Anglo debts

Noreen, we are outraged at the Anglo debts, where are you getting the impression that we're not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Thanks for the link.

I'm aware that Sean Quinn would have had to pay Anglo, anyway.

My point was that there is so much vitriol and media coverage of Sean Quinn, and so very little media coverage/information on matters that have/will ultimately cost us a great deal more, one way or another.

Matters that are costing us more by the day because of the reckless financial gambling done by greedy ****ing bastards like Sean Quinn. It must be real nice to run up debts like that knowing the people of the country and their children will pay the balance back. **** Sean Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

The budgetry cutbacks this year was over 3 billion,the same amount of money as Quinn owes the state,illnesses will be prolonged and people will die because of these cut backs.Sean Quinn and his family are undoubtably using what will eventually will be tax payers money for legal companies all over the world to frustate the chances of getting this money back of him.They should stop pussyfooting around with them and arrest every one of them,Wife,son,daughters,sons in law and keep them in overnight and the maximum time under questioning.I would think there is at the very least that their is technacalitys that this could be done under.Might loosen some of them up enough to get the office block in Russia out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭flutered

this guy creamed the cream from the churn, he slipped and let the bucket fall, why should i and others like me pay for him to fill it again, good riddance to bad rubbish i say, please do not make an excuse for this guy who got caught, because the others in the anglo did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/quinn-contempt-case-to-run-four-times-longer-than-expected-3056273.html

How long more is he going to keep pushing away dealing with the problems of his own making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Looks like chickens could be coming home to roost. Possibility of coercive and punative actions directed against him, son and nephew if some of the money is not repaid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Indefinite custody for all of them until their actions which went against the court order are reversed, simple. Though if I were to guess the sanctions that will be passed out will be ones that have little impact on their lives, couple of nights in prison and a few token assets returned will probably be it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

In my experience most wealthy people I know in Ireland made their money by being totally immoral gangsters but trying to keep a pretend veneer of respectability on the outside.
    Let's face it, there are very few sustainable and legit ways of making lots of money in Ireland, and I would be very suspicious of anyone who appears to have.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

How much did he manage to hide though? You have to hand it to him. I would do the same. Must be hard all the same to see everything he worked for washed down the tube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

what has happened to that family just shows that money and success are not the be all and end all! extreme wealth has the potential to destroy your life and reputation!

cant say i feel sorry for Sean Quinn. It seems he has done everything he can to keep foreign assets from the reach of debtors!

he only has himself to blame! greed is a terrible thing

Advertisement