Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High ammonia - tropical aquarium

• 04-01-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi everyone,
    I have 2 tanks - one of which has an extremely high ammonia level. This is my newest one, but it has been up and running about 6 months. Ive been using ammo lock for almost 2 weeks and doing partial water changes. The ammonia level has not decreased even slightly. Nitrites and nitrates are perfect - any ideas wot to do next?
    Also, in my other tank, ive recently added a sucker fish - he is pooing an unbelievable amount. I siphon the gravel, and within hours its full of poop again - is this normal?!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Do a water change ASAP
    you will get lots of help here http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,52/

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wanalulu

Hi LB,
    Thanks for the reply - i have been doing daily water changes of 20% - i did do a 75% water change as soon as i noticed the problem. Is it ok to keep changing the water? Sorry, Im not v good at this!!! I thought i would kill beneficial bacteria if i kept changing water?
    Ill check out suggested website - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Hey, have you tested the water you are putting into the tank? You can get a product called safe start that you can keep adding to your water to keep the bacteria up, but Id keep doing big water changes until the ammonia levels go down.

Hey,
    Yep, i always add safe start everytime i add water. I just cant understand it, im baffled!!! The fish are behaving normally. The first sign of trouble was wen the water went all cloudy. I left a friend in charge of the fish wen i was on hols and i have a feeling he may have rinsed the filter sponge under the tap instead of in tank water - would this cause it? (If it has i will kill him :mad:) Even if this was the case, surely there would have to be some nitrites or nitrates present?
    Sorry for all the questions :cool:

6 pretty developed babies hav now appeared out of nowhere in the ammonia tank - should i moe them to my other tank or just leave them? Also, shud i move some of the fish from ammonia tank to my other tank? do platys and tetras get on with gouramis? Again, sorry for all questions :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 paulbohs

Your tank has been set to 0. All your bacteria has died. This would happen if your sponges were washed under non tank water. Even washing in tank water is not ideal. I have at least 2 sponges and wash 1 in tank water each time. Your bacteria would also die if your filter was unplugged and the bacteria where deprived of oxygenated water. You now have lots of ammonia, bacteria will now be created to convert amonia to nitrite. Nitrite is even worse for fish than ammonia. After this another type of bacteria will multiply to convert nitrites to nitrate. You need ammonia at 0 ppm and nitrites at 0 ppm and nitrates at less than 20 ppm for your fishes health.

Have you anyone near you that could give you some used filter media? You need to get all of those fish out of that tank if possible. If you have to leave a few hardy species in to cycle the tank, maybe you could leave 2. It will take 6 weeks at least to cycle your tank. I think your best bet would be to go to one of the better aquarium shops and buy organic aqua. That stuff will fix the tank. Like limerick bandit says, there are 2 sites in ireland dedicated to fish keeping where you might find someone close able to find filter media. www.irishfishforums.com and www.irishfishkeepers.com you'll need used filter media or space in your 2nd tank or organic aqua to save your fish. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Get a bucket or a fish bag and add a small bit of water from your established tank to it.
    Take the sponges from your established tank and squeeze them in this water. Add this water directly to the tank with the Ammonia. It should sort out the problem straight away.

Ps. Don`t feed your fish until you get it sorted.

Thanks so much for all ur help,
    Ill move as many fish into established tank as i can fit. I guess ill have to leave the babies where they are tho?
    Ill try all suggestions and hopefully it will sort the problem out.
    Before i do this, let me explain something:
    I bought new tank and transferred filter from established tank (as it had a spray bar on it - my new tank is hexagon shaped and other filter was causing a whirlpool effect!) There is a brand new filter in my old tank, only running a couple of weeks - will i still squeeze this sponge? Should i take 50% of established tank water and transfer to new (problem) tank?
    Id say im driving ye all mad, im so confued :confused:
    Thanks again, and this is DEFINITELY my last question lol :D

You won`t need to move the fish or add 50% of the water.
    The Squeezings should do the trick.
    If you have some of that Tetra Safe Start then use this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 paulbohs

you will defenitely need to move your fish. some tank water wont settle your new sponges immediately.... thats crazy talk. It might speed the 6 week process up a small bit. Better idea is to cut your sponge in half and put half in each tank. I would not squeeze your sponge until the problem is sorted as this just damages the bacteria colony (usually this wont matter as loads survive but you need all the bacteria you can get). also the tank water and squeezing is a waste of time as your substrate contains bacteria just nowhere near enough to fix this straight away. Ideally get some more mature filter media from a fellow fish lover.

Those products don't work in my opinion. Only one with any tests done is organic aqua. ask a reputable fish store which one you need if you go this route as there are many types.

• Advertisement

Paul.
    I have done this many times and it is the besy way to sort out the problem. I have even done it to a Discus tank and added fish the same day. It is the best way to seed any tank and it not rubbish talk.

Im back again! My ammonia levels have not decreased at all - this has been going on since xmas eve - have tried everything. Both tanks have high ammonia - got rid of a few fish so they are def not overcrowded.
    I thought that maybe my tap water isnt the best? If i live in a hard water area, are there any tips anyone cud give me?
    Not a single fish has died of ammonia poisoning - how can this be?!
    HHHEEEELLLLLLLLPPP LOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Where are you situated? It must be your tapwater. Most good fish shops will sell you Reverse Osmosis water, with the baddies taken out. Or you could buy a RO machine for 200 to 300 euro. Fish shops charge about a euro a litre so u might be better off investing in a RO system yourself in the long run.
    You could research the process on youtube.

thanks for the reply - im in kilcock, kildare. I dont tink i cud afford either one of those options - what is an RO, does it just fit to your taps? i did come to the conclusion that it was the water in the area but ive been running one of the tanks here for a year and a half and the problem only came about a few months ago.

how about a water softener - wud that do any gud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

I have met many fishkeepers like you that clean almost too thoroughly.
    Whatever water you are using and whatever chemicals you are using will only add to your problems here.
    To decrease ammonia leave ammonia to cycle---- during that cycle the filters will increase aeromonas to eat all this from your tank and produce nitrite. when this cycle is finished Nitrobacter will grow to eat all the dead aeromonas and produce nitrate.
    this is the "cycle". when doing this, leave your tank alone & you will not have to clean it again for a year unless you are "overfeeding" your tank.
    All nitrite or ammonia in the water added or water in it will be "processed" without chemicals,tap water conditioners & organic aqua

Fish can stand high levels of ammonia & nitrite & nitrate. The main killer is spikes of each of these as the fish cant adjust fast enough in their metabloisym to cope with it.
    Leave well alone & enjoy your fishkeeping

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Forget RO water, for God's sake what kind of suggestion is that.

It sounds like you have one established filter and one dead one. Split the sponge, ceramic etc between the two filters. Don't clean them at all.

Do a massive water change (40%) with dechlorinated water. Stop using Ammo-lock for a while, this product may also be distorting your test kit readings. Also, what is the expiry on your test kit? They don't last long.

Remove all decor and hoover the gravel with a siphon, place decor back in. Get rid of Suckerfish (common pleco it sounds like), biggest myth in fishkeeping that the clean, all they do is produce cr*p.

Get onto one of the above sites and find someone local who can give you some squeezings or a slab of established sponge. Until then frequent water changes are a must. How big are the tanks? Are the filters adequate?

Also the link for the LFKS is www.irishfishforum.com, not fishforums.

Good luck.

thanks again for the replies - I have 2 x 60 litre tanks. One has a fluval plus2 filter, the other has an aquapro M700. I am using an API freshwater master test kit but cannot find an expiry date on it. Ive had it about 7 months.
    I tink the aquarpro filter is a bit crap but its the only one i can find wit a spray bar - unless someone else can recommend another one?
    Please define "frequent" water changes? I am currently siphoning the gravel and changing 30% water once a week.
    I tink ur rite about the RO water, I asked in petshop and he nearly bit my head off lol!!

Also - im getting v confused wit all the conflicting advice - one person says leave it alone and the other says change the water!!!!! I tnk a show of hands is in order :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Forget RO water, for God's sake what kind of suggestion is that.
    Oh my god I am so so so so so sorry. I hang my head in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭hill16dub

plecs are great for removing algae, they are very sturdy fish even with not great qualtiy water.

Large water changes are not the way to go, they upset the balance in the water, it should only be a last resort.

The advice previously on nitrites/amonia and nitrates is sound.

you should do a once off test on your tap water, yes ammo lock etc should clear a lot of the crap from tap water.
    You need to follow the exact measurements.
    Unless there is wide spread fish death be patient, keep doing partial water changes ensure the right chemical amount is added each time. use stress coat to aid the fish
    it will come good but not over night but dont make huge water changes.

plecs are great cleaners and i had one for 10 years. The one thing to note is clean the gravel every week in the short term, clean the filter when it appears to be clogging up but leave the activated charcoal alone.

hill16dub wrote: »
    plecs are great for removing algae, they are very sturdy fish even with not great qualtiy water.

Large water changes are not the way to go, they upset the balance in the water, it should only be a last resort.

The advice previously on nitrites/amonia and nitrates is sound.

you should do a once off test on your tap water, yes ammo lock etc should clear a lot of the crap from tap water.
    You need to follow the exact measurements.
    Unless there is wide spread fish death be patient, keep doing partial water changes ensure the right chemical amount is added each time. use stress coat to aid the fish
    it will come good but not over night but dont make huge water changes.

plecs are great cleaners and i had one for 10 years. The one thing to note is clean the gravel every week in the short term, clean the filter when it appears to be clogging up but leave the activated charcoal alone.

Adult Plecs are terrible algae cleaners, all they do is crap all over the tank. Massive water changes are essential of you have high Nitrite/Ammonia, it needs to be diluted immediately as the filter cannot cope due to lack of bacteria.

Again Ammo-lock is a short-term solution. Shouldn't be used all the time as a properly cycled tank should have zero Ammonia.

Remove the activated carbon, it doesn't last long at all and should be replenished every few weeks. It is taking up space in the filter that could be used for mechanical/biological filtration.

he must have ate the mars bars i gave him for 10 years:rolleyes:

if you read the post massive water changes didn't work nor have they ever ffs

Is it a gibbiceps plec or an Ancistrus (Bristlenose)?

Just because there is little algae in the tank doesn't mean he is eating it.:rolleyes:

if you read the post massive water changes didn't work nor have they ever ffs

You my friend are wrong, massive water changes from time to time are well needed particularly if the filter is dead.

How else would the fish survive? A 10-25% change isn't going to do anything.

if you read the previous comments properly i said it was a last resort. It should always be a last resort. Also reading previously you will see it didn't work and there is another issue.

There is no point taking out a whole load of crap and putting in more crap in its place.

by the sound of it the whole bioligical process isn't been left enough time to work, or the water being put into it is not sound.

Blaming the plec is a load of bull, they are great algae eaters mine kepy my tank clean for many years, if your feeding it daily with other substitutes then obviously it wont be as effective.

the gravel needs to cleaned regulairly if youhave a plec as it does crap a bit.

Changing the media every two weeks??? Dont think so.

There is no point taking out a whole load of crap and putting in more crap in its place.

by the sound of it the whole bioligical process isn't been left enough time to work, or the water being put into it is not sound.

Blaming the plec is a load of bull, they are great algae eaters mine kepy my tank clean for many years, if your feeding it daily with other substitutes then obviously it wont be as effective.

the gravel needs to cleaned regulairly if youhave a plec as it does crap a bit.

Changing the media every two weeks??? Dont think so.

Who is blaming the plec? All I said is that they produce a lot of waste.

Hoovering the gravel is essential in any healthy aquarium. Don't disagree there.

Who said changing the media every 2 weeks????? Of course not!!! BUT changing activated carbon after a couple of weeks is what you need to do. There are only so much it can do before it wastes. It is using up space in the filter that is badly needed for biological filtration. The only time I have ever changed my filter media is when i've given some away to help seed a new tank.

Hey,
    Thanks for all the replies - the plec is def a bot of a disaster - i got the ammonia and nitrates perfect in one of my tanks but the tank with the pleco in it is still sky high. A few fish died due to internal bacteria, I now have 3 gouramis, pleco, 2 tetras and 2 neons. In my other tank there are just babies.
    What i found worked was feeding only every second day and leaving the tank lights off for a week - seemed to do the trick in one tank but i still need help with the other one! Nitrates, nitrites are fine its just high ammonia.
    So will i do one big water change or several small ones?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

also guys, please forgive my stupidity - but how do u test the tap water?!!!

Advertisement